What's new

Voxel Need Voxel Firmware Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randellx

Occasional Visitor
Hi... I would really appreciate some help. I have an r7800 bought new in 2018. I am computer literate and pretty well understand all the firmware settings up to 1.0.2.46, but don't know anything about Voxel firmware. I know NG .46 is really old and it's way past time to update, but it is super stable and very fast and every time I've checked on firmware it seems like there were more problems and nothing really stable. I'm now considering Voxel, but I have some questions. I do have some advantages on stability... using as router, only 4 devices wired desktop and laptop (win 10) and 2 android phones using 2.4 and 5g. Not using readyshare, qos, parental controls, access control, mu-mimo, dynamic dns, etc. Pretty basic and locked down.

Have 200 mbps connection and getting at least full speed wired and 90% on 5g.

If I change to Voxel should I update to later NG, reset to factory, restore to .46 after, or install on top of .46? After installing Voxel I can do soft reset but not factory reset? I assume factory reset after Voxel would require restore to Voxel.

Are there any suggestions as to fastest and most stable version of Voxel to start with? Stability and speed are my primary considerations.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I need a lot of help!

I appreciate any and all info or suggestions... Thanks! Randell

Hello and welcome.
I switched to Voxel on my first r7800 nearly two years ago and have never looked back. I now use it exclusively on my two r7800.
When I started using Voxel I had a 200 mbps connection like you and Voxel has never disappointed (even with far more devices than you have).
I believe you can download the latest Voxel (.88 as I write) and apply that firmware directly onto what you currently have.
The readme supplied by Voxel has lots of good info, download it from the same place where you get the firmware.

From the Readme: "Just recommendation to restore factory settings in router WebGUI, after you flash my modified FW. Then setup your Wi-Fi, WAN LAN etc settings manually from the scratch."

In my experience this is generally only needed the first time you apply Voxel onto the router. Subsequent Voxel upgrades usually are fine after reboot.

Speed, stability and security updates are hallmarks of what Voxel does.

Once you have Voxel installed and running you can try the (optional) add-ons other people have contributed like Kamoj and Aegis, if you want.

I have found everyone here friendly and helpful and I am sure you will, too.

Just install the most recent release, no need to overthink things.
Been running Voxel's firmware for a few years now without any issues.
In fact, it offers better performance than Netgear's firmware, so there's really no reason not to use it, considering you also get the latest security updates.

Voxel is basically stock firmware with updated packages and bug fixes. You can switch between true stock (NETGEAR) and Voxel back and forth without much issues, if any.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the good info and practical answers, some very good advice! I do tend to overthink at times, but I do have one more question...only one this time! The NG .46 version I have on the router is really old and has never been completely reset (only restarted occasionally as maintenance). I don't mind doing it, I have a record of all my selections, would it be a good idea to update to .68 first and then go to the latest Voxel? Seems to me I saw a comment from him somewhere about making large jumps in versions. What would be the very best way to get to the latest Voxel?
Thanks again... I really do appreciate your time for such pertinent answers, good forum... Randell

Well, I'll figure it out. Thanks again for your earlier answers, they were informative and I appreciate it. Randell

Once I've had to update a R7800 router with older NG firmware I've updated consequently all NG versions, simply because skipping several intermediate versions wasn't possible at all. Then I've loaded the Voxel's latest firmware.

Once I've had to update a R7800 router with older NG firmware I've updated consequently all NG versions, simply because skipping several intermediate versions wasn't possible at all. Then I've loaded the Voxel's latest firmware.
Hi... thanks for your response! Although that doesn't sound good. Are you saying I may need to install all the NG firmware versions between 46 and now? I hope that is not the case, you could wear out a router installing that many firmware versions that quick. Was that your actual experience or did I misunderstand?

Thanks again... Randell

Hi... thanks for your response! Although that doesn't sound good. Are you saying I may need to install all the NG firmware versions between 46 and now? I hope that is not the case, you could wear out a router installing that many firmware versions that quick. Was that your actual experience or did I misunderstand?

Thanks again... Randell
No, you can't "wear out a router" by doing that. The R7800 is using SLC NAND flash, which you couldn't kill in the lifetime of the product, so please stop spreading FUD.

Keep in mind that very few write operations are made to the NAND flash, as routers operate with everything in a RAM disk and writes are only done when needed and obviously this doesn't mean whole flash is being written to. Even updating the firmware is having a very little impact to the overall life of the NAND flash.

Wow! Oh ye of no sense of humor! That was actually a joke son! Sorry, I thought it was obvious! It may have been a bit overly facetious, but did you really think I thought that would wear out a router? To anyone who ever reads this thread, I apologize for a dumb joke, and I certainly don't want to engage in the dastardly act of spreading FUD... trust me, you're actually not going to wear out a router by installing firmware updates! I'm a retired system administrator for a bank with 3 branches and I actually do understand NAND flash. I was making a very small joke (and probably a very poor one) at the idea of having to individually install every single firmware update between .46 and probably .84. That was my understanding of your response and my question was a serious one, unlike my dumb joke. If I was in error in that understanding, that was why I asked for a clarification. Instead of any clarification or useful information at all I get a lecture on NAND.

I'll make a deal with you... If you'll pretend you never read my original post, I'll pretend you never responded to it. I think we'll both be more at peace with that resolution.

If anyone else wishes to make a knowledgeable answer to my questions I would certainly appreciate it, but if not I'm sure I will survive the whole experience. I've dealt with many forums over the years and have a great deal of respect for them and the knowledge they can provide... if fact was a moderator for a large windows tech forum way way back for some 3 years. No one knows everything, I certainly don't, and a good forum is a great way to shorten the learning experience... but I've experienced enough over the years to know that one way or another I can eventually solve almost any tech problem I come up against so I don't get uptight over tech problems.

At any rate, I apologize for any offense to anyone, and none taken, and I do appreciate some earlier responses I got. Life is too short, particularly at my age, to be out of peace... too many places to be and things to do! Thanks for your time... Randell

Wow! Oh ye of no sense of humor! That was actually a joke son! Sorry, I thought it was obvious! It may have been a bit overly facetious, but did you really think I thought that would wear out a router? To anyone who ever reads this thread, I apologize for a dumb joke, and I certainly don't want to engage in the dastardly act of spreading FUD... trust me, you're actually not going to wear out a router by installing firmware updates! I'm a retired system administrator for a bank with 3 branches and I actually do understand NAND flash. I was making a very small joke (and probably a very poor one) at the idea of having to individually install every single firmware update between .46 and probably .84. That was my understanding of your response and my question was a serious one, unlike my dumb joke. If I was in error in that understanding, that was why I asked for a clarification. Instead of any clarification or useful information at all I get a lecture on NAND.

I'll make a deal with you... If you'll pretend you never read my original post, I'll pretend you never responded to it. I think we'll both be more at peace with that resolution.

If anyone else wishes to make a knowledgeable answer to my questions I would certainly appreciate it, but if not I'm sure I will survive the whole experience. I've dealt with many forums over the years and have a great deal of respect for them and the knowledge they can provide... if fact was a moderator for a large windows tech forum way way back for some 3 years. No one knows everything, I certainly don't, and a good forum is a great way to shorten the learning experience... but I've experienced enough over the years to know that one way or another I can eventually solve almost any tech problem I come up against so I don't get uptight over tech problems.

At any rate, I apologize for any offense to anyone, and none taken, and I do appreciate some earlier responses I got. Life is too short, particularly at my age, to be out of peace... too many places to be and things to do! Thanks for your time... Randell
It didn't come across as a joke. Also, I never assume people know how these things work and people tend to make all sorts of strange claims that they've been told or read somewhere on the great interweb.
No need to for the lengthy explanation, just saying you made a silly joke would've been enough to settle things.

I very much doubt you'd have to install every single firmware inbetween, but there are sometimes firmwares that have to be installed before you can progress due to major changes to the device OS. It's quite common on NASes, but it also generally means you can't roll back.
Can't say I have noticed such a thing in the release notes for the R7800.

Thanks again... Randell
At least that was my experience. Actually I didn't have to go trough every single firmware release but skipping 2-3 versions sometimes wasn't possible. There was simply an error message that the update was unsuccessful and I had to go back and put a lower version.

It didn't come across as a joke. Also, I never assume people know how these things work and people tend to make all sorts of strange claims that they've been told or read somewhere on the great interweb.
No need to for the lengthy explanation, just saying you made a silly joke would've been enough to settle things.

I very much doubt you'd have to install every single firmware inbetween, but there are sometimes firmwares that have to be installed before you can progress due to major changes to the device OS. It's quite common on NASes, but it also generally means you can't roll back.
Yes, it was sort of a lengthy post, but fortunately it was all done on my own time so it's OK, didn't have anything better to do at the moment... wasn't done out of a sense of need but rather my choice. Then it of course becomes someone else's choice to read it or not. I actually do realize that some updates do contain some technology change that subsequent updates build on, making it necessary to install that update before later ones will work. As a matter of fact, that was the reason for the question as to whether I would have to install some updates between .46 and the current firmware rather than all at once. I was hoping someone could give me some specific info as to what updates might be necessary, but that's probably a vain hope. Randell

At least that was my experience. Actually I didn't have to go trough every single firmware release but skipping 2-3 versions sometimes wasn't possible. There was simply an error message that the update was unsuccessful and I had to go back and put a lower version.
I do appreciate you taking the time to clarify your original response, hopefully I'll find a way to avoid so many firmware updates, for obvious reasons. Thanks again... Randell

TheLostSwede ... reading back, the joke was probably not as obvious as I thought. I apologize for over-reacting to your comments. Thanks for your responses and help... Randell

Hi... I would really appreciate some help. I have an r7800 bought new in 2018. I am computer literate and pretty well understand all the firmware settings up to 1.0.2.46, but don't know anything about Voxel firmware. I know NG .46 is really old and it's way past time to update, but it is super stable and very fast and every time I've checked on firmware it seems like there were more problems and nothing really stable. I'm now considering Voxel, but I have some questions. I do have some advantages on stability... using as router, only 4 devices wired desktop and laptop (win 10) and 2 android phones using 2.4 and 5g. Not using readyshare, qos, parental controls, access control, mu-mimo, dynamic dns, etc. Pretty basic and locked down.

Have 200 mbps connection and getting at least full speed wired and 90% on 5g.

If I change to Voxel should I update to later NG, reset to factory, restore to .46 after, or install on top of .46? After installing Voxel I can do soft reset but not factory reset? I assume factory reset after Voxel would require restore to Voxel.

Are there any suggestions as to fastest and most stable version of Voxel to start with? Stability and speed are my primary considerations.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I need a lot of help!

I appreciate any and all info or suggestions... Thanks! Randell
Make a backup of your current configuration.
Then install latest Voxel, as per today his Snapshot: R7800-V1.0.2.88.1SF
(You are already on Netgear 1.0.2.46, so you are good to go!)

Make a backup of your current configuration.
Then install latest Voxel, as per today his Snapshot: R7800-V1.0.2.88.1SF
(You are already on Netgear 1.0.2.46, so you are good to go!)
Thanks kamoj! That sounds positive enough! Another overthink, I suppose I didn't really think it would be that simple... but that's basically what's been suggested earlier and likely should have been better received as offered.... I accept that as final verification. Over the years I've gotten used to questioning most everything, with good reason quite often. Thanks again to everyone... Randell

@randellx I would wish you good luck, but that is not necessary. If something goes sideways it is easy to recover. Your confidence will build with time.

The Voxel change logs are very valuable to me and how I do business. Yes, I have donated in the past and will do so in the future.

@randellx I would wish you good luck, but that is not necessary. If something goes sideways it is easy to recover. Your confidence will build with time.

The Voxel change logs are very valuable to me and how I do business. Yes, I have donated in the past and will do so in the future.
Thanks for your advice, on both forums. After some thought I've decided to install the latest Voxel over the NG 1.0.2.46 on the router now. I realize no guarantees, but the consensus of opinion seems to that it should work. I'll wait until I have some extra time just in case it doesn't work as I hope. Thanks again! Randell

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!