What's new

Need Wireless Access Point with VLAN capability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sizzlechest

Regular Contributor
I bought a Netgate 4100 and am using my existing Netgear RAX42 router as an Access Point. I cannot segregate the guest network traffic from the main network traffic. The router firmware does not offer VLAN support in Access Point mode. There are no OpenWrt or DD-wrt firmware options for this router. I am willing to buy another device that offers WiFi6 with the same range and speed as my current router.

Look at business access points. Many to choose from. See what fits your budget and is available around you on acceptable price.

Don’t look at max speeds on consumer products. Mostly marketing. I would try 2x EAP610 V2 access points and add OC200 controller and PoE switch later if the results are good. I’m sure you’ll get better coverage and proper roaming. This suggestion is price/quality ratio oriented.

Don’t look at max speeds on consumer products. Mostly marketing. I would try 2x EAP610 V2 access points and add OC200 controller and PoE switch later if the results are good. I’m sure you’ll get better coverage and proper roaming. This suggestion is price/quality ratio oriented.

Do I have to mount it on the ceiling? Why do I need two of them and a controller?

Home routers are designed to work as single AP - maximum power and omnidirectional antennas. SMB APs work better in groups, on reduced power and localized area. Some are directional, some slightly directional. The Omada controller is optional, but provides extra functionality. EAP610 V2 is a ceiling mount AP, but can be mounted on a wall or placed on a shelf. This a new compact design model with very good feedback. One AP is usually good for about 1000 sq.ft. area, but the actual coverage depends on multiple factors. You can also check UniFi U6 Lite, U6 Pro, U6 LR... user @Tech Junky has good experience with Zyxel NWA210AX, there is also cheaper NWA50AX... all examples in up to $200 price range. Something that makes sense for a home setup. If you go Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus, etc. enterprise class equipment the price gets really unpleasant.

Last edited:
The Cisco 240ac 4x4 APs are $171 each and if you buy them in 3 or 5 packs they are cheaper.
No controller is needed as it is built-in. They will run as 1 virtual AP all linked together. These are Cisco small business APs with a GUI and they have a wizard that will configure them for you. I usually pick my channels as I think it works better.
PS
I just noticed Cisco has released a new model the Cisco 150ax AP 2 x 2 and they cost $105 in the USA.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!