What's new

Needs some help on setting up WAP571 correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
I am having some questions about my new WAP571 AP.

1. STP - do i need this? I cannot think of a loop in my network. Everything is pretty straight forward.
2. My syslog gets flooded with this entry:

upload_2020-2-5_20-48-43.png

Having read up on this, the recommendation is to switch disable "PMF" in the Wireless->Networks settings. Will monitor this now for a couple of days. Any other hints?

STP spanning tree protocol helps with protecting the network from storms by shutting down ports which have loops in them. I leave STP alone and don't change it. I do set the root switch.

I don't think those messages have anything to do with STP. What is PMF you are talking about? What is it related to? I am looking on my Cisco WAP581 AP and I don't see anything labeled PMF under wireless> networks

What kind of wireless authentication are you using?

Last edited:
STP spanning tree protocol helps with protecting the network from storms by shutting down ports which have loops in them. I leave STP alone and don't change it. I do set the root switch.

I don't think those messages have anything to do with STP. What is PMF you are talking about? What is it related to?

Sorry, that was a typo from my side. MFP (Management Frame Protection) is what i was refering to. Here is the link i got that recommendation from: https://community.cisco.com/t5/smal...to-station-but-not-authenticated/td-p/2745789

I did switch that off yesterday as per recommendation in that post and the syslog entries are still there, yet in significantly lower quantity. Another thing that i noticed is that it might be related to roaming between the WAP571 and the ASUS RT-AC88u access point because just before i get this log entry, i also get some log entry from the the ASUS about the same MAC address. Maybe the wifi overlap between both AP's is too large and they make the specific device constantly switch back and forth between the 2 AP's?

I though if your wireless overlap was too large the client would not roam. You can try turning the power down on the WAP571 AP. I am not sure about the ASUS.

I though if your wireless overlap was too large the client would not roam. You can try turning the power down on the WAP571 AP. I am not sure about the ASUS.

I am going to wait until the 2nd WAP571 arrives and replace the ASUS. After that, i will do some DOE.

I am going to wait until the 2nd WAP571 arrives and replace the ASUS. After that, i will do some DOE.

Well, installed my 2nd WAP571 today. Added it to the cluster but my previous theory on the Asus didn't fly. Now both WAP571's have this error. I read something about POE power. The 1st one is (temporarily) running on 802.af but the 2nd one is feeding directly off my main POE+ switch which provides 802.at. MFP is set to disable on all radio's of both AP's. Next up is enabling it on one of the both.

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 22.27.34.png

It appears i have some more searching to do to figure this one out.

Interestingly enough, on day 2, no entries from the 2nd WAP but still a bunch from the 1st. A bit of reading brought 2 things to the table:

1. power with 802.at instead 802.af
2. UTP cable quality

Coincidently, the UTP where the first one is connected to is the only Cat. 5 cable i still have in my house but it is very time-consuming to replace so i have left it so far.

Spanning tree protocol needs a root switch. It is kind of the one more important than all the rest. If you google it there will be a ton of information.

What does this mean "set the root switch"?

I think i need some help here. It appears that the WAP571 is the root in my STP configuration according to the switch entries which is configured as RSTP.

Any recommendations on how i can change that?

Yes you need to make 1 of your switches the root not the wireless. I would pick the core switch. I always use my layer 3 switch as my root.

Yes you need to make 1 of your switches the root not the wireless. I would pick the core switch. I always use my layer 3 switch as my root.

Currently checking how i can change that setting. It might be a shot in the dark but coincidentally is the WAP giving me these error connected to the switch port that is listed as root. I just haven't figured out yet how i can change the root.

There is a setting in the Cisco switches. I bet your switches have a setting.

Well, i am honest enough to admit that i do not have enough knowledge (yet?) about STP to set this up correctly so for now, i have chosen the easy way: i disabled STP on both the switch and the 2 WAP571 AP's. Let's see if this influences the situation and take it from there and in the mean time, catch up on STP and configuration.This is what it looks like right now. Below still indicates that g9 (connected to the 1st WAP571) is still the root but everything is disabled so i guess it wont matter.

upload_2020-2-13_22-16-4.png

In the end, i can't think of a network loop. My topology is pretty straight forward.

If you want to run without STP then disable it. It is good network practices to setup STP. I would think you can google STP with your brand of switches on how to best set it up.

If you want to run without STP then disable it. It is good network practices to setup STP. I would think you can google STP with your brand of switches on how to best set it up.

I am planning to reactivate it once i know how to set it up properly. In the mean time, i can assess whether this contributes to the issue i experience with the 1st WAP571.

I am planning to reactivate it once i know how to set it up properly. In the mean time, i can assess whether this contributes to the issue i experience with the 1st WAP571.

Well, we can rule this also out as a possible root cause. Both AP's still are showing this error.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!