What's new

Netdata portforwarding on AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ipkpjersi

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I installed netdata (opkg install netdata) on my AC68U with Merlin 384.12 firmware and it has been working great - no noticeable issues in regards to the RAM or CPU utilitzation. However, I can't seem to port forward netdata on my router itself. I forwarded port 19999 for my desktop for netdata just fine, however, port forwarding 20000 (to point to internal port 19999) for my router is not working - even with the firewall off, I cannot access my router's netdata but I can access my desktop's netdata remotely with my LTE phone connection. I'm not exactly new to port forwarding but I might be missing something here. Does anyone have any ideas?

I apologize if this is not the right section, but as I'm using Merlin firmware I'm not sure if this is somehow a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I installed netdata (opkg install netdata) on my AC68U with Merlin 384.12 firmware and it has been working great - no noticeable issues in regards to the RAM or CPU utilitzation. However, I can't seem to port forward netdata on my router itself. I forwarded port 19999 for my desktop for netdata just fine, however, port forwarding 20000 (to point to internal port 19999) for my router is not working - even with the firewall off, I cannot access my router's netdata but I can access my desktop's netdata remotely with my LTE phone connection. I'm not exactly new to port forwarding but I might be missing something here. Does anyone have any ideas?

I apologize if this is not the right section, but as I'm using Merlin firmware I'm not sure if this is somehow a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.
You can't forward a port to the same device - you have to add a rule to the INPUT chain instead

Awesome, that worked perfectly. I decided to leave netdata on the router as port 19999 and then did:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 19999 -j ACCEPT

After that, I created a /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 19999 -j ACCEPT

I then set the firewall-script to have execute permissions:
chmod +x /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

It's also worth setting netdata as a service, by creating file /jffs/scripts/services-start:
nano /jffs/scripts/services-start
#!/bin/sh
sleep 60
/opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata start

I then set the services-start file to have execute permissions:
chmod +x /jffs/scripts/services-start

I then changed netdata.conf to allow all IPs to access it:
nano /tmp/mnt/AC68U/entware/etc/netdata/netdata.conf
[web]
allow connections from = * localhost 10.* 192.168.* 172.16.* 172.17.* 172.18.*
allow dashboard from = * localhost 10.* 192.168.* 172.16.* 172.17.* 172.18.* 1

After that, I could access netdata remotely. I will likely secure it now that I have tested that it works remotely. Thanks! I hope this post can now be helpful to someone who comes across it.

Last edited:
Yeah I know, that's why I have to secure it, I was just wondering how it would be possible to access this remotely in the first place. :)
Vpn server would have been a better route no need to open ports to prying eyes.