What's new

netgear 3700 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No to new firmware!!!

has anyone tried the new firmware for the netgear 3700 router
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17968
i been looking around and am seeing quite a few negative comments :(

Stay away from it, to many problems. Stay with .55 firmware until Netgear puts out a more stable firmware. Netgear puts out great hardware, with always lacking firmware. Even the current, and most buggy firmware to date .98, Netgear will do nothing to fix and you will have to wait 6 months for their next release. Buy that time they will be into the v2 of this router, and may not have any interest in further firmware for the v1 owners. This is my last purchase from Netgear due to the always buggy firmware, and will jump at the next stable dual band router that comes along. Netgear should be releasing new firmware every month based on bug reports, but they are totally unresponsive to their current home user market.

Stay away from it, to many problems. Stay with .55 firmware until Netgear puts out a more stable firmware. Netgear puts out great hardware, with always lacking firmware. Even the current, and most buggy firmware to date .98, Netgear will do nothing to fix and you will have to wait 6 months for their next release. Buy that time they will be into the v2 of this router, and may not have any interest in further firmware for the v1 owners. This is my last purchase from Netgear due to the always buggy firmware, and will jump at the next stable dual band router that comes along. Netgear should be releasing new firmware every month based on bug reports, but they are totally unresponsive to their current home user market.

The grass is not always greener on the other side. Dlink completely blew it with the DIR-855 and DIR-825 V.B routers. Their support has been abysmal. For the DIR-825 B1 DDWRT came to the rescue and this has improved the quality, range and reliability of this router 10x.

Maybe try DDWRT on your WNDR3700 if you aren't happy with Netgear's firmware. BTW, I've installed 4 WNDR3700 routers and haven't had a single complaint with .55 firmware. Two of them are in high usage environments with several users.

The grass is not always greener on the other side. Dlink completely blew it with the DIR-855 and DIR-825 V.B routers. Their support has been abysmal. For the DIR-825 B1 DDWRT came to the rescue and this has improved the quality, range and reliability of this router 10x.

Maybe try DDWRT on your WNDR3700 if you aren't happy with Netgear's firmware. BTW, I've installed 4 WNDR3700 routers and haven't had a single complaint with .55 firmware. Two of them are in high usage environments with several users.

One companies poor support does not justify anothers! I am a Netgear customer and expect service after the sale from Netgear. Do you feel this router lives up to its hype as an AV router with its poor Hard drive transfer speeds? How well is media indexing working for you? Is this not how they promote this "High Performance router" as an AV router? Just because the WNDR3700 is the best of the worst does not make me a satisfied customer. I am not a Dlink customer, so their service is not my concern. Do you accept poor service from you Doctor, Mechanic, Insurance Agent, Restaurant, Retail store? If you accept poor service from Netgear, and justify their bad behavior, than accept poor service from all the above listed, without a peep.....

Last edited:
One companies poor support does not justify anothers! I am a Netgear customer and expect service after the sale from Netgear. Do you feel this router lives up to its hype as an AV router with its poor Hard drive transfer speeds? How well is media indexing working for you? Is this not how they promote this "High Performance router" as an AV router? Just because the WNDR3700 is the best of the worst does not make me a satisfied customer. I am not a Dlink customer, so their service is not my concern. Do you accept poor service from you Doctor, Mechanic, Insurance Agent, Restaurant, Retail store? If you accept poor service from Netgear, and justify their bad behavior, than accept poor service from all the above listed, without a peep.....

I was simply responding to your comment that you are writing off Netgear. Who is better unless you're ready to shell out coin for Cisco Business product?

I do not use the USB share capabilities. Its a useless toy IMO. When someone requires this type of shared LAN resource I setup a NAS. If I recall correctly, the Cisco E3000 has a similar USB share capability and its similarly a toy.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I was simply responding to your comment that you are writing off Netgear. Who is better unless you're ready to shell out coin for Cisco Business product?

I do not use the USB share capabilities. Its a useless toy IMO. When someone requires this type of shared LAN resource I setup a NAS. If I recall correctly, the Cisco E3000 has a similar USB share capability and its similarly a toy.

Good luck.

You may feel the Cisco E3000 is a "toy" for business use but it performed 100x better than the WNDR3700 in my environment both with DD-WRT and Tomato.

For home consumers that want a dual radio and gigabit switch there is really only one router that's implemented it successfully and that's the Cisco in my experience.

The only dual radio with gigabit I haven't had is the TrendNET. While I'm a TrendNET fan, it's gotten less than stellar reviews.

I'm not a Linksys/Cisco fan at all but it was a HUGE improvement over the WNDR. DD-WRT for WNDR is very poor for wireless performance, and obviously the stock firmware is garbage.

You may feel the Cisco E3000 is a "toy" for business use but it performed 100x better than the WNDR3700 in my environment both with DD-WRT and Tomato.

For home consumers that want a dual radio and gigabit switch there is really only one router that's implemented it successfully and that's the Cisco in my experience.

The only dual radio with gigabit I haven't had is the TrendNET. While I'm a TrendNET fan, it's gotten less than stellar reviews.

I'm not a Linksys/Cisco fan at all but it was a HUGE improvement over the WNDR. DD-WRT for WNDR is very poor for wireless performance, and obviously the stock firmware is garbage.

Somehow the reviews don't seem to support your claims.

Somehow the reviews don't seem to support your claims.

I doubt the reviews you are reading include alternative firmware as was stated in the post you had replied to. If I had an alternative working firmware for the WNDR3700, and fixed it bugs, I would be a happy camper. As of this point I have to depend on a unresponsive company such as Netgear to get it right.

As flawed as the current software is, why would they not yank it, and not let it cause all the issues that it is. The vast majority of purchaser of this product are not tech types, and will update their firmware due to the automatic upgrade feature of this router. The time frame between updates of this routers firmware has been 3-6 months, and unsuspecting users will be fighting issues for at least this long. "Come on Netgear, have some pride in your work" and put out some workable firmware. You already are having the hardware built by sweatshops in China. At least you could do your part and make it a viable product that meets your advertised claims.

If they can't get it done Monday-Friday 9-5, maybe they should work some nights and weekends. Or better yet, get government jobs, and they will fit right in....

Last edited:
Opinion: Cisco Aironet products are best of kind. And overpriced. And very well engineered. Cisco Airespace products are schlock.

ok back track time, had to roll back to original firmware as i started getting drop outs :eek:

come on netgear sort it out :rolleyes:

Netgear 3700 out of the box is a consumer rippoff

I'm a noob, but spent countless hours on the net (after my purchase) researching the 3700 and was very disappointed to experience what many have been complaining about: locked out of router, crappy firmware updates, features that simply donot work, router setting change but won't save. Also had to reboot router on the 2nd day with what many suggested was the most stable firmware (1.0.4.68). Unless you are very familiar with setting up a network manually, stay away from this piece of junk. My old smc 54g is much more stable and just about as fast for my Internet usage. I went thru 2 of these Netgear 3700'sand finally gave up. Hoping to try the DIR-655 next, once I recover from the Netgear frustration.

my 2 cents

I upgraded to the .98? version of firmware on the initial setup. Everything seemed great till I went to connect through a VPN to work. I couldn't hold the VPN connection for more than a few minutes.

I "downgraded" to the .75 version and it has been rock solid. The wireless connection speed varies depending on demand, but is often at 300 mbps and hasn't needed to be rebooted since the "downgrade"...which was over a month ago.

Chris

different

This is a different version of the .98 firmware and it blows away the .75 believe me.

Charlie C