What's new

NETGEAR Introduces "Plus" Series, Semi-Smart Switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

U

Unregistered

Netgear is announcing new 10/100 switches in November of 2009??

Why even bother?

Especially when major brand 8 port gig switches can be bought online for $29 after rebates.

(yeah, I know it can do vlans -- big deal)

That's exactly why this switch costs a bit more. Besides creating VLAN's, it can also do a lot more.

Quality of Service (QoS) for prioritizing network traffic
Troubleshoot connection problems via cable test
Port mirroring
Bandwidth management to avoid network congestions
Network traffic monitoring
Broadcast storm control

So, "why even bother?" You get slightly more features than a regular unmanaged switch. Which is why this switch is geared towards the "non-technical" user. It's made to be easy to understand and set up in SoHo's or SMB's, where technology can sometimes take a back-seat to other things.

A $29 switch might suit your needs perfectly. For others, it may not.

is anyone familiar with this new smart switch series? It's not released and no user manual posted yet.
I have one port that I want to give lowest priority regardless what kind of traffic it has.
I can't use the QoS setting from the router because it only allows me to set the IP range and that won't work well when I have DHCP enabled.
thanks,
tt.

Buncha hooey.
Can get a web admin GB router with much better feature set from Dell for fraction of the price. I have two of their PowerConnect switches, and they are sweet.
Netgear wants to deliberately eliminate Mac users from their customer base, I'm happy to oblige.

Brilliant

Cool. A Windows only ethernet switch (admin). That's genius. Develop a product that 'could' be sold to, and used by, any and all potential customers. But then say "nah, Lets eliminate all the potential user markets except one".
Great plan.

But then say "nah, Lets eliminate all the potential user markets except one".

But then say "nah, Lets eliminate all the potential user markets except the one with 90% market share."

Fixt

They might write a linux/maxOS program as well, shouldn't be too much work.

Will this switch work as a router? my current router is crap but I could put it in bridge mode and put a proper router behind it. No need for wireless, but I dont see any fast non-wireless routers.

Will this switch work as a router? my current router is crap but I could put it in bridge mode and put a proper router behind it. No need for wireless, but I dont see any fast non-wireless routers.
No. Doesn't work as a router.

Uses Adobe Air

The Admin app for this uses Adobe Air framework, for which there is a linux compatible version. Haven't tried to install the app inside a linux machine, but I will and will post back here with the results.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!