What's new

Netgear MoCA Installation Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robgold

Occasional Visitor
I have decided to try MoCA to extend my internet connection to several connected devices in my living room (Apple TV, Blu-Ray, Samsung Smart TV). I plan to use the Netgear MCAB1001 kit and wanted to confirm if this will work and will not mess up my TWC cable TV service, including VOD:

1. Unit 1, where the cable modem is located -- Run the coax coming out of the wall directly into one of the Netgear units, then run a coax from the Netgear unit to the cable modem, then connect the Netgear unit and the cable modem to my wireless router, and

2. Unit 2, where my TV and home theater equipment is located -- run the coax into a 5MHz-2 GHz two-way splitter, then run one coax from the splitter to my STB, and run a second coax from the splitter to the second Netgear unit. From there, I can use an ethernet switch from the Netgear unit to my devices.

My main question is whether I should also use a splitter to run one coax into the cable modem and a separate coax into the cable modem to continue to use VOD, rather than run a single coax to the Netgear unit and then from the Netgear unit to the cable modem? I know I need to use a splitter on the home theater side to connect to my STB, so my question is just limited to the need for a splitter at the cable modem end.

I would very much prefer not to have to use another splitter before the coax to cable modem connection if I can avoid it, as it might degrade my signal. On the other hand, I don't want to do anything to prevent VOD from working.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My MoCA config, in use for some 2 years...

cable TV main cable, to
cable company provided amplifier that has gain in both directions, to
2 way splitter, one leg to cable/digital phone modem, other leg to a 3 way splitter.
3 way splitter, one tap to garage, loop through MoCA box and on to living room to other MoCA box and to the set top box that feeds HDMI to the TV.

At the living room, the MoCA ethernet output goes to a LAN switch that feeds the TV, BlueRay, a home theater PC, and another gizmo of mine.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!