What's new

Netgear "Nat filtering" equivalent for asus.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So in other words, just like every other manufacturer out there, Asus has some models that meet your requirements and some models that don't. :cool:

I'm hoping that includes FQ_Codel for adaptive QoS is one of those updates, and possibly a VPN to my home network like ubquity has they call theirs teleport.

Mabye in the not so distant future cake in adaptive QoS but I won't hold my breath for it.

Hmm i started using adaptive qos right now and it smoothes thing out or is it my imagination. Things seems to be more smooth after i enabled that adaptive qos. Explain to me what are the benefits of using fq_codel along side with adaptive qos cuz i saw people mention it but i never really went all into it like i did with fullcone nat and opening ports.

There we go. Here's a first one that is now officially available on the stock firmware - support for Fullcone NAT.

There we go. Here's a first one that is now officially available on the stock firmware - support for Fullcone NAT.

'A Fullcone NAT router will allow traffic from any source'... I suppose this will interest some users... will it pose a security issue for others?

OE

'A Fullcone NAT router will allow traffic from any source'... I suppose this will interest some users... will it pose a security issue for others?

OE

Fullcone NAT is less secure by design than Symetric, yes. But console gamers swear that this is necessary for them to play multiplayer matches. <shrug>

How less secure it is however, I'm not sure. Could just be purely academic. It's been too long since I've looked into that stuff, so I don't remember any of the details I'm afraid.

Fullcone NAT is less secure by design than Symetric, yes. But console gamers swear that this is necessary for them to play multiplayer matches. <shrug>

How less secure it is however, I'm not sure. Could just be purely academic. It's been too long since I've looked into that stuff, so I don't remember any of the details I'm afraid.

Yes i knew it once you responded in mysterious way. Also this fixes problems with nat when there are multiple devices in home. It wont necessarly help in pings and stuff as its based on isp and their routing but it helps people with more than 1 console for example where to connect to game lobbys they need nat type open.

Also there is a security risk involved from what ive heard so you should be safe since it defaults to symmetric and gives an option for people that need it which is what in my opinion gaming router should look like which is security by default but also performance enhancment at the cost of security as optional option.

Second feature that @RMerlin suggested in ax86u thread is probably fq_codel but i dont have that model to check.

Also i have question how to determine if port is open on router? Because i dont have proof but things like port forwarding,port triggering,dmz,upnp are broken without fullcone nat. By this i mean when using external sites to ping router in order to check if port is open its always closed. Exactly the same thing can be achieved by checking status in games. So my question is why is there option for port forwarding,port triggering,upnp,dmz in router settings when it wont work without fullcone nat ? Is it there because some other models support it and other get it even tho it wont work on them? The only way for me to get open ports and set nat type to open is fullcone nat so my question is if that option was absent in firmware why would you add options that wont work without it?

Last edited by a moderator: