What's new

Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, some news on the r9000

Price is down in Europe (332€ vs 450€) !

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01M3Z2YA6/

Tech discussion:
- QoS is working now with a firmware revision
- the R9000 has a fan! I know that many don't care, but some of us are ready to spend more cash to shut up the hardware. Question for which I have no answer. Does the fan spin at full speed all the time, or is it a hybrid which activate the fan pass some temp.
- Aggregation, even if you don't test, you could mention the function. I know that my next NAS will have that function and since I'm not replacing my router every years, I would like to buy my next router with that function.

Link aggregation was mentioned in the third paragraph of the review.

The inside photo clearly showed the fan mounted atop the heatsink. It is thermally controlled. I did not hear it switch on at any time during the review. Or if it did, it was so quiet I could not hear it.

Sorry, my first answer was confusing about link aggregation. I was thinking about the R8000(p). Correction done

More precisely: Link aggregation is definitely a pro.

Concerning the fan. I'm part of the silent PC community and there is a big one in Germany (why do you think Be Quiet is German? ;)). Since the beginning of that community, we are told constantly that if one (usually a tester) can't hear that fan therefore we shouldn't have a prob and yet when we buy the product it often goes back to the seller. There is no point to redo all the 10 years worldwide discussion or trying to convince you. That's fine. At least, I just hope you're aware now that there is a community worldwide that has different criteria. My only wish is that you mention it on your list

I realize that my comments can be seen as negative, but that's not what i'm trying to do, so don't be mad at me ;). If you don't put aggregation and fan in your check list it won't matter. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Fan has virtually no sound/noise even at 4000 RPM :)
I also love the sound of a silent PC :D

Regards

Firmware 1.0.3.6 was just released with official support for DFS channels and "Smart Connect," among other things.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 871
Looks like a hardware new revision is being released, with official document showing that the only difference being that the "Bluetooth circuit and antenna" being removed in the new revision. Didn't even know it had that in the first place lol.

FCC Link: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=Y&application_id=mVObFju7GxAqDJHl433lXQ==&fcc_id=PY317400405

Is there any way for me to check if the one i just bought have this new hardware ??

Is there any way for me to check if the one i just bought have this new hardware ??

Yeah look at the label and under FCC ID if it says the following then it's the new one:
PY317400405

Its practically the same device minus the unused bluetooth radio which is now removed so don't fret over which one you have.

Yeah look at the label and under FCC ID if it says the following then it's the new one:
PY317400405

Its practically the same device minus the unused bluetooth radio which is now removed so don't fret over which one you have.

Hi there,

I have the australian version of this and there isnt a FCC ID anywhere on the device...

For the R7800 you can get the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) version with the following command:
Code:
cat hw_id
For me the output is: 29764958+0+128+512+4x4+4x4+cascade
Here the PCB ID= 29764958
Maybe you can do the same for the X10.

For the R7800 you can get the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) version with the following command:
Code:
cat hw_id
For me the output is: 29764958+0+128+512+4x4+4x4+cascade
Here the PCB ID= 29764958
Maybe you can do the same for the X10.

sorry for the dumb question but how to run the code cat hw_id ?

step by step ?

thanks

sorry for the dumb question but how to run the code cat hw_id ?
step by step ?
thanks
Sure, no problem:

- Install the telnet program on your computer.
For Windows 10, do like this:
Hold down the Windows Key, then press “R“.
The Run dialog box appears. In the Open: window, type:
pkgmgr /iu:”TelnetClient”
Click OK.

- Enable Telnet access to the router:
Login to the router page, http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm
Check the box for: Enable Telnet

- Login to the router:
Open a command prompt (Windows 10):
The Run dialog box appears. In the Open: window, type:
cmd
Click OK.
In the opened DOS-command window, type:
telnet routerlogin.net
(The password is the same as from the normal router login page)

- Run the command:
cat hw_id

29765235+0+512+1024+4x4+4x4 is mine... whats that mean thou ??

Yes but how do I find out the fcc Id is the latest ? PY317400405

Yes but how do I find out the fcc Id is the latest ? PY317400405
Netgear use to print "v2" etc when they update their routers. If there is no "v2" on your label, it's probably "v1".
Hopefully you get some response from someone with a new v2 so you can compare. Me, I don't have an X10.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!