What's new

NETGEAR R7000 and Chromecast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

byonik

Occasional Visitor
Do any of you with working R7000's have Chromecasts? I see one user with a Galaxy Note 3 has chimed in with the same problem as me.

I have a Chromecast, and I played around with it last night before I posted my reply to make sure it was working. I pushed a few YouTube video from my Nexus 7 and didn't have any issues or disconnects. How long are you able to use it before it drops? Or, is it just MIA the next time you try to connect? I just checked, and mine is still connected almost 24 hours later.

I have a Chromecast, and I played around with it last night before I posted my reply to make sure it was working. I pushed a few YouTube video from my Nexus 7 and didn't have any issues or disconnects. How long are you able to use it before it drops? Or, is it just MIA the next time you try to connect? I just checked, and mine is still connected almost 24 hours later.

If you don't mind try some tab casting. Once it loses connection (assuming it does) if you immediately try and recast the tab you'll see your chromecast is missing until it auto reconnects.

If you don't mind try some tab casting. Once it loses connection (assuming it does) if you immediately try and recast the tab you'll see your chromecast is missing until it auto reconnects.

I can confirm that I am also having this issue. I've experienced two separate drops in around 15 minutes time. The first one lasted around a minute, but the second time, it took at least 5 minutes to re-sync. It was also not visible to my GS3 during this time.

What's strange is that the Chromecast shows that it's connected to the router, and the router shows it in the client list during the outage. Does Chromecast utilize UDP? Seems like it would. Maybe that's related.

Ok just got done with a Netflix Episode of Doctor Who to see if it works with the Chromecast. I did not have any problems at all.

I have the WMM on along with the 'Enable Downstream QoS(Improved Video Streaming)' also.

I did update the Streaming database too.

(I also streamed most of the day to different smart TV.)

Last edited:
I didn't have any issues streaming directly from YouTube or Netflix to my Chromecast either, but I did have drops when tab casting from Chrome on my MBP. I rarely do that, so I'm not too worried, but it would still be nice to find a solution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Update I did have to restart the chromcast to play the next episode, not sure if that was a R7000 issue though.

My Chromecast has been working perfectly with the R7000 since Day 1. It has not disconnected or misbehave not once.

As a matter of fact my signal strength is a full 5 bars w/ the R7000 in the bedroom where I have the Chromecast hooked-up - where it was previously 3 bars with the Asus RT-AC66U router.

My chromecast gets disconnected frequently when doing the chrome tab casting. Youtube and netflix work fine.

Please test out tab casting with Chromecast as that is where the problems seems to be. If you can get stable tab casting that would be good to know. I have to assume desktop casting also has a problem.

I could be wrong but before I got my Chromecast I did some research.
My impression that I got was that tab casting was buggy anyway and still in a beta type phase.

I could be wrong of course.

Isn't everything Google does beta? The SDK is still beta too :)

Regardless, it works with my Asus and many other people's routers just fine even though it is beta.

I enabled IPv6 on the router and now I don't have any disconnects with chromecast!

Google has been a strong proponent of IPv6 - now whether you're getting IPv6 on the WAN side, depends on the ISP and your modem, but as long as it works :D

If you're bouncing off an Android handset, makes sense as it could be doing link-local addressing...

I enabled IPv6 on the router and now I don't have any disconnects with chromecast!

Have you not seen any disconnects after trying this? I cast tabs at 720P and have seen 3 disconnects in the last 2 hours. Not sure how enabling ipv6 fixes this issue. But will give it a try.

Tried enabling ipv6 on the router but still see the disconnects. And although chromecast is connected to the router I can't see it on my browser for a few minutes. My firmware is .194

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I've been using the Asus AC66U for a long time with my Chromecast. But using the Netgear R7000 I couldn't get it to work on 2.4Ghz. Finally tried setting the mode from 600mbps to 289mbps and then it works fine. Filed a bug with google and sent them logs, but not sure if it's really their problem. Anyone else have it working on 600mbps? I have not tried on 5Ghz and don't want to switch to that yet. I have ipv6 disabled on the router.

So you can control the speed of the wireless on the R7000? That's a pretty nice feature. I take it if the client doesn't support 600 Mbps it won't connect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!