What's new

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rajanmehta61

New Around Here
Hi,

I just bought this router and then have realised its only a router, what I needed was a modem router

I am currently using a Netcomm 3000 adsl 2+ modem router, which was needing to be rebooted couple of times a day which is why I was going to replace it

So whats the best way to handle this

Can I use the netcomm as just a modem and use the nighthawk as the router

The way I see it, I would have the phone line go into the netcomm, and connect the nighthawk to the netcomm with an ethernet cable

how do i disable the wifi router of the netcomm

If I dont are the two wifi networks going to clash

My networking knowledge isnt much, so please suggest how best to set this up without having to buy a new adsl modem

thanks

rajan

I would call your ISP (did they supply the modem/router?) and ask them to put the device into Bridge mode.

Turn off the radios in the Netcomm, they will interfere with the R7000 you will be using.

Even if they can't put the Netcomm into Bridge mode (but ask as hard as you can for them to do this), you can still connect the R7000 and use it, but again, you want to disable the modem/router's radios for best performance.

When you had to reboot it, was it because it lost connection with the ISP or simply the WiFi not working for you (i.e. were the wired lan ports working correctly)?

I would call your ISP (did they supply the modem/router?) and ask them to put the device into Bridge mode.

Turn off the radios in the Netcomm, they will interfere with the R7000 you will be using.

Even if they can't put the Netcomm into Bridge mode (but ask as hard as you can for them to do this), you can still connect the R7000 and use it, but again, you want to disable the modem/router's radios for best performance.

When you had to reboot it, was it because it lost connection with the ISP or simply the WiFi not working for you (i.e. were the wired lan ports working correctly)?

Yes the netcomm modem router was supplied by the ISP

How do I do this - switch off the radios

OK, I will ask the ISP, but I am not very hopeful they will do it, but let me try

I havent checked whether the lan ports were still working. But basically the speed would go down to almost zero. I would not even be able to talk to the router over wifi. The router is about 2 years old and I thought most likley its unable to handle the traffic, as the number of devices has grown over these 2 years.
I think the problem has gotten worse since I connected a WD My Cloud NAS to it.
anyway I just wanted to get a new router, and ended up buying just a router instead of a modem router
Thanks

If the router/modem was supplied by the ISP, I would ask for a replacement first (you've probably paid for it 2x over by now).