What's new

Netgear R7000 upgrade to ASUS RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hornedfrog

Occasional Visitor
I have a 6 year old Netgear R7000 that I am contemplating upgrading to a ASUS RT-AX86U. I have about 2/3 Wireless AC and 1/3 Wireless AX devices on my network.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade that would increase my speeds?

WAN is upgraded from Docsis 3.0 cable to 1 Gbps/1Gbps FTTH since summer 2021.

Thank you.

I think it will increase your speeds. I base this on the facthttps://smile.amazon.com/ that I had an R7000 and the R7800 WLAN coverage is much better. I noticed increased speeds on my devices going to the R7800.

Also.. I have gigabit internet service now and I the first thing I noticed is one my cheap wired gigabit switches (TPLINK) was not capable gigabit...topping out at 600 Mbit (switch connected to my R7800 with a Cat6A cable). I replaced it with a netgear switch and was able to get the wired speed up to full 950Mbit.

What I'm saying is gigabit service can really show bottlenecks in your network. Based na on talk on the ASUS and buying advise forums the RT-AX86U is really good..should help both WLAN coverage and total throughput (wired for sure) with gigabit internet service. I have read though on my ISP forum that one person was getting better throughput on his ISP fiber gateway/router than with his AX86U going trough the ISP gateway in bridge mode. I would think that would not be the case for everyone and every ISP.

I think it will increase your speeds. I base this on the facthttps://smile.amazon.com/ that I had an R7000 and the R7800 WLAN coverage is much better. I noticed increased speeds on my devices going to the R7800.

Also.. I have gigabit internet service now and I the first thing I noticed is one my cheap wired gigabit switches (TPLINK) was not capable gigabit...topping out at 600 Mbit (switch connected to my R7800 with a Cat6A cable). I replaced it with a netgear switch and was able to get the wired speed up to full 950Mbit.

What I'm saying is gigabit service can really show bottlenecks in your network. Based na on talk on the ASUS and buying advise forums the RT-AX86U is really good..should help both WLAN coverage and total throughput (wired for sure) with gigabit internet service. I have read though on my ISP forum that one person was getting better throughput on his ISP fiber gateway/router than with his AX86U going trough the ISP gateway in bridge mode. I would think that would not be the case for everyone and every ISP.
Thank you for the information. This is very useful. I get good lan wired speed with my Netgear gigabit switches but an older roku ultra in the bedroom slows down a lot on Wi-Fi compared to most other WiFi devices. AX devices seem pretty under performing on the R7000.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!