What's new

Netgear R7800 vs R8000 in 2018

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QuestForTheHolyRouter

New Around Here
Hi! I have been using the isp-provided routers/modems since... forever. I recently moved with my family and have spectrum at 400mbps, the fastest speed we've ever had by a longshot. Unfortunately, we don't receive our speeds consistently since about a month after move-in and think it has something to do with congestion from all of our devices. There are 4 of us who are usually constantly at home streaming and/or gaming. So, I figured it's time to get a router.

I have honed in on the Netgear R7800, R8000, Synology RT2600ac, and the Asus RT-AC86U. I read iffy reviews on the Asus ones as of late and the synology seems to be a step behind the R7800 in terms of 5Ghz downlink throughput. I was going to go for the R7800 but now I see the R8000 is identical in price on Amazon to the R7800. I have read mixed reviews on which to get, some say avoid the R8000 like the plague and others say the R8000 is the better option for more users compared to the R7800.

What are your recommendations? I greatly appreciate all feedback. :)

All i can say is no matter what one you choose be aware that Netgears firmware has to be one of the worst. They release code that fixes one thing and breaks another often taking months to address.

I have the R7800 and love the router very nice machine but there last 2 firmware's .58 and .60 have wifi issues that is still not fixed forcing many to downgrade or use third party. These issues are not just with the 7800 but it seems most of there routers in one form or another. Just a FYI..

I have honed in on the Netgear R7800, R8000, Synology RT2600ac, and the Asus RT-AC86U.
What are your recommendations? I greatly appreciate all feedback. :)

I can't recommend the Synology RT 2600ac. Good with security updates, but real issues with stability since installation in March. Even worse now with the new SRM 1.2 (Mesh) release. A pity.

Check for yourself: https://community.synology.com/forum/2

Any 3rd party firmwares for the R7800? I've been pondering getting it but reading that now makes me wonder, mostly because my AC68U is showing its age

Any 3rd party firmwares for the R7800? I've been pondering getting it but reading that now makes me wonder, mostly because my AC68U is showing its age
Both OpenWRT and DD-WRT are available for the R7800.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!