What's new

Netgear RAX120 the trash.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
Why are they still selling it? They've released a new firmware for random rebooting and heat issue. But it doesn't fix it at all. Mine is still in the box.:mad:
V1: EoL.
V2: Faulty Hardware.

Why are they still selling it? They've released a new firmware for random rebooting and heat issue. But it doesn't fix it at all. Mine is still in the box.:mad:
V1: EoL.
V2: Faulty Hardware.
I agree the V2 was a mess but there is a further firmware which sorts out the kernal panics causing it to over heat I believe coming you can ask for the beta. Can you show a link where v1 is EOL. Cheers.

That's been like that for the last year and only covers America and its not actually a Netgear site its a authorized dealer i thout it was the EOL list as well but its not. Here is the actual Netgear EOL list. https://www.netgear.com/about/eos/
Also since both routers use the same code (I beta tested the RAX120 back in 2018) it will just get security and major bug patches but no new features now. Netgear actually gave some v2 users V1 units as a replacements so v1 should be fine for a while, but its old, a draft 3 router from 2019 out of 8 or 9 drafts for WI-FI 6. Newer units like the RAXE500 and its siblings are better. Also routers like the RAXE500 don't have a old world capacitors on the board on the power supply side now they use smd ceramic capacitors and resistors which are tiny components. Hope you get your router gets sorted soon. :)

That's been like that for the last year and only covers America and its not actually a Netgear site its a authorized dealer i thout it was the EOL list as well but its not. Here is the actual Netgear EOL list. https://www.netgear.com/about/eos/
Also since both routers use the same code (I beta tested the RAX120 back in 2018) it will just get security and major bug patches but no new features now. Netgear actually gave some v2 users V1 units as a replacements so v1 should be fine for a while, but its old, a draft 3 router from 2019 out of 8 or 9 drafts for WI-FI 6. Newer units like the RAXE500 and its siblings are better. Also routers like the RAXE500 don't have a old world capacitors on the board on the power supply side now they use smd ceramic capacitors and resistors which are tiny components. Hope you get your router gets sorted soon. :)
I use North America devices. I have both v1 and v2. I just bought them for testing purpose. They are so unstable. I don't use them.

I use North America devices. I have both v1 and v2. I just bought them for testing purpose. They are so unstable. I don't use them.
My V1 was very stable and ran for 4 years with no crashes or at all, great signal. I guess not all were built equal, but the V1 is not EOL in the USA as its not on Netgears own EOL page, I mean the R7800nkeeps gettoing the ocational security patch (Voxels firmware is better) and that came out in 2015. Shame Voxel could not help the RAX120, but with wifi 7 round the corner and 6E out so late its probably not worth it. Sorry to hear you routers are so unstable, I always factory reset my V1 after every update and no issues as I said.

Does it make sense to start supporting RAX120 (Voxel firmware)?

I mean now.

Thank you,
Voxel.

Alas I have a V2, I will wait patiently.

Thank you Killhippie.
I am sorry I don't have a V2 they were mostly for the American for a long time, but share the same firmware with some differences, maybe Voxel would need both to be able to do this?
The v2 unit had loads of kernel issues I believe that caused the massive crashes it had but the V1 ran perfectly, but the Amplifi Alien used the same CPU and as the V2. I don't think that had the same problems, I think Netgear just carried on using Chaos Calmer and hoped all would work with a few tweaks instead of writing code for that unit separately, they have a history of this, so many Netgear routers are just a mess of code and mistakes from various other devices with almost like new code added between lines of old code creating so much bloat and potential for bugs and use of old outdated packages that never get replaced, just patched badly.

The RAX120 never had the support it needed it had issues with logging (days would just vanish from the logs and re appear later on the V1) and Netgear always want you to collect logs as if they cant do it themselves. I worked on that router as a beta tester and it ran hot and had issues but had the most amazing coverage, it was almost the spiritual replacement of the R7800 but never got the love it needed, or a decent QoS (down to the CPU they said) so you had a old basic upstream QoS but it never worked properly and created more issues that it rectified. It would be a great router with its great 5Ghz range but it always needed factory resets after every update a router should not need that, I mean you don't factory reset your smart TV after every update or your phone, Broadcom seemed to in the end dominate 6/6E Netgear routers, the RAX120 was the only Qualcomm unit they produced from what I know.

There is beta FW for both V1 and V2 versions that do fix the random reboot issues seen over on NGs forums.

Netgear seem to have stopped doing firmware updates, I imagine as are busy using coders for the WI-FI push which means their current flagship router has not had an update in 6 months, not great for a £500 router really. Also they never pushed out the final beta to the RAX120 either.

Seems my experience with older netgear routers.. hardware was good but firmware was poor. I had good experience working with them fixing a minor bug but then poor experience fixing a major bug. After 90 days support is nonexistent so you have no way to help them improve or fix things.

Its a real shame.

That beta (1.2.8.43) was not final, I found more problems with it and they gave me a few versions of 1.2.9.44, until we found a stable one. I also had a good experience working with them(tech support), this was 2 months ago.

Do you have support contract with them or your unit was within 90 days of purchase? After 90 days they wanted like 100$ for me to buy support to report a bug. I could find no place to report problems short of griping on their community forums with other customers.

No contract, my 90 days ended in February. I opened a new case and I told them we worked together before and they called me. I never had any problems with my rax120 since.

Last edited:
That beta (1.2.8.43) was not final, I found more problems with it and they gave me a few versions of 1.2.9.44, until we found a stable one. I also had a good experience working with them(tech support), this was 2 months ago.
I bet the logs going missing has not been fixed but it would be good if it had. Netgear cant seem to keep any of their current Wi-Fi 6 and 6E routers up to date. I beta tested that RAX120 V1 with a few others it had a habit of running a bit hot, but it had amazing coverage on 5Ghz but the QoS was never any good and never will be, and sadly the logs have always been an utter mess. Also its Wi-Fi 6 draft 3, so very out of date now, especially since companies like Netgear want everyone to jump on their gravy train to wifi 7 at crazy prices when its still in its draft phase. The current AXE routers have not had updates in ages, the RAXE500 has not had one since January, and it has loads of things that need fixing.