What's new

Netgear xr500 your experiences with this router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I already have an Asus ac88u. Recently got the XR500 for free.

I'd like to sell 1 and keep another. Assuming both are just as new, which would you keep?

The XR500 is essentially an R7800 hardware wise and that usually tops 5Ghz performance/range on most reviews even now. Plus the CPU is newer gen and much more powerful (+65%) than the one in the 88U and runs cooler for better VPN performance and it can hit 700+ Mbps even without hardware acceleration unlike the 88U. Also minor points but it has working MU MIMO and HT160 since it uses the Qualcomm QCA 9984 chipset, which in my opinion is the best Wi-Fi chipset in consumer routers.

Note: Broadcom has a terrible MU implemtation so I would disable that on the 88U as it can actually cause performance loss on Broadcom chipset based routers.

Biggest caveat with Netgear despite excellent hardware is that support is terrible and new updates don't fix some old issues and often times additional features like broken QoS, IPv6 getting filtered happen. You also lack any real advanced settings.

Keep the XR500 as its still better overall but if buying with your own money and you need to use the router for more than just WiFi and need additional working features like proper VPN client etc look else where.

Last edited:
Quite some time has passed since the last posts in this topic, so.... might i ask for some long time experiences with the xr500? I know that it is basically a re-branded r7800 with a little bit more ram (which seemed not to be used anyway or did this change by now?) and an additional software on top on it. How does this combination proofed itself? Given that the price difference between the two devices is only 20$ now (at least where i am from) the question arises if it is worth to go for the xr500 or would you still stick to the r7800 and use, for example voxels firmware?

Background; I really want to upgrade my current setup because the wifi-performance of my current router is utterly awful. The internet provider i use forced customers to use their provided hardware for quite a while. They changed this policy and i feel like it is on me to choose my own poison again. Can't get much worse than now with the old piece of hardware... :)
I was first thinking about buying some access points (e.g. 2 ubiquiti ap's and turn down the wifi on my current router). PoE would be very neat to place the devices but this approach would add additional complexity to the network. I would rather prefer a simpler all in one device to replace my current router. If centered placed, a single device should be able to handle 120 square meters and max 2 drywall in between the farthest corner. I was considering the r7800 or xr500 as an option. Since its release the price of the xr500 seemed to drop quite a bit, which makes the xr500 a more close competitor to the r7800.

edited post on 11.12 to further specify my question

Last edited:
You can review other forum post here:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...ers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers
http://forum.netduma.com/forum/87-dumaos-on-netgear-nighthawk-support/

If your a gamer then the XR500 maybe good for you. If your not a gamer, then the R7800 maybe more fitting for general needs.

If you need additional wifi in remote places, then a EX7700 or EX8000 connected to either XR or R router will be helpful. I've used both XR450 and R7800 with my EX7700 in a 5000sq ft home. Works well.

Quite some time has passed since the last posts in this topic, so.... might i ask for some long time experiences with the xr500? I know that it is basically a re-branded r7800 with a little bit more ram (which seemed not to be used anyway or did this change by now?) and an additional software on top on it. How does this combination proofed itself? Given that the price difference between the two devices is only 20$ now (at least where i am from) the question arises if it is worth to go for the xr500 or would you still stick to the r7800 and use, for example voxels firmware?

Background; I really want to upgrade my current setup because the wifi-performance of my current router is utterly awful. The internet provider i use forced customers to use their provided hardware for quite a while. They changed this policy and i feel like it is on me to choose my own poison again. Can't get much worse than now with the old piece of hardware... :)
I was first thinking about buying some access points (e.g. 2 ubiquiti ap's and turn down the wifi on my current router). PoE would be very neat to place the devices but this approach would add additional complexity to the network. I would rather prefer a simpler all in one device to replace my current router. If centered placed, a single device should be able to handle 120 square meters and max 2 drywall in between the farthest corner. I was considering the r7800 or xr500 as an option. Since its release the price of the xr500 seemed to drop quite a bit, which makes the xr500 a more close competitor to the r7800.

edited post on 11.12 to further specify my question

The links really helped me to get around and read something about the xr500. Thank you very much. :)

I will use the routers WiFi for a variety of activities. The most demanding task (traffic wise) will probably be streaming to tablets and the TV, often parallel. On the other hand there is at least one computer that will occasionally be used for gaming (also parallel to the streaming). Low latency would be great, since online fps are not very forgiving. I am by no means a hardcore gamer though so i will probably be served with a r7800 already. Distance to the router might be more the issue there. The router can be placed quite centrally in my flat but the computer is more in the corner of the layout... and i cant change this at the moment.

You can review other forum post here:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...ers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers
http://forum.netduma.com/forum/87-dumaos-on-netgear-nighthawk-support/

If your a gamer then the XR500 maybe good for you. If your not a gamer, then the R7800 maybe more fitting for general needs.

If you need additional wifi in remote places, then a EX7700 or EX8000 connected to either XR or R router will be helpful. I've used both XR450 and R7800 with my EX7700 in a 5000sq ft home. Works well.

Wonder how the roaming experience, since all of them r 802.11k supported

Not sure. I presume also roaming and handling of roaming abilities depends on how well the client device is designed as well.

Wonder how the roaming experience, since all of them r 802.11k supported

Might try getting the PC wired to the router. It's best to keep wire supporting devices connected wired for best performances.

The links really helped me to get around and read something about the xr500. Thank you very much. :)

I will use the routers WiFi for a variety of activities. The most demanding task (traffic wise) will probably be streaming to tablets and the TV, often parallel. On the other hand there is at least one computer that will occasionally be used for gaming (also parallel to the streaming). Low latency would be great, since online fps are not very forgiving. I am by no means a hardcore gamer though so i will probably be served with a r7800 already. Distance to the router might be more the issue there. The router can be placed quite centrally in my flat but the computer is more in the corner of the layout... and i cant change this at the moment.

Hello everybody!

Special THANK YOU to all of you amazing people who keep these forums alive, and unselfishly provide constant 24/7 help (there is always somebody here who is ready to jump in and assist). Don't want to leave out anyone (I thank literally every single person in these forums), but just to name few; RMerlin (thank you for all those amazing firmware updates, always greatly appreciated), Voxel, avtella, Killhippie, e38BimmerFN, and many, many others.

I am still super happy with my ASUS RT-AC3100 with Merlin's firmwares. This router will probably have to hit its EOL before I decide to change it.

Anyway, trying to get something nice for my sister's house (her kid, gaming not professionally, but very interested in multiplayer games), and got really interested in Netgear routers. I already purchased XR500 only because it was on sale at my local BestBuy for $280 CAD. I purchased it yesterday, again because I owe this to her and I do love my niece very much (even though they never asked me to do this for them) and I want to upgrade her current setup with something much nicer. Price was really inviting, so I picked it up cash yesterday. Today, only one day later, I see its price went back to whooping $379.99 at BestBuy.ca ( https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-dual-band-wi-fi-router-xr500-100cns/12557885 ). Basically it was $100 CAD off.

The other router (R7800), here ( https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-ac2600-gigabit-router-ac2600-100cns/13184362 ) is also on sale today for $149.99 CAD. Not only because it's that much cheaper than XR500, but I am thinking because of going literally through this whole thread since the very page 1, and I see mixed opinions about these two router versions (as to which one is better, I know it's silly question). If R7800 is basically the same thing as XR500 minus the DumaOS, price difference is actually quite important factor right there. Another factor that plays the difference... the looks. Even though I like them both, each one has its own unique looks and I like them both, but I'd always prefer something little simple, maybe I can say "more professional" looking as the R7800 is. I am sure my sister would also appreciate simpler looks of R7800, rather than aggressive looking transformer shaped XR500 on her daughter's desk :) Again, I don't want to start another discussion on which one is better looking and why, I just mentioned my point of view, which to be fair, is not important at all in my dilemma on which router to give them.

The other thing (again, this is very subjective, I am talking about what I think, everyone is always entitled to their own opinion and everybody has all the rights in the World to like/love whatever they desire)... someone mentioned in this thread that design of OS and GUI is not important at all, and that he could care less of how it looks, as long as it works as promised and advertised... Well, don't we all want our expensive gadgets to work as advertised? Then someone explained as to why indeed is very important to have good and user friendly GUI (I believe it was Killhippie). I stand behind that claim 110%. If GUI is confusing and clunky, and basically pain in the rear end, I couldn't care less about anything else, even if it's the best router out there, when it's so frustrating and not easy to use. It also has to be pleasing to the eye, like many other things in this life. People get attracted to nice things, what's so bad about asking to have nice and user friendly GUI? For me personally, Netgear has always been a perfect example of unpleasing to the eye, border line ugly and totally non-logical user interface. That's my main gripe with R7800, and why I am confused as to which one to give them.

Is Voxel's firmware version better looking, easier to setup/use, overall are there any differences in how GUI looks like comparing to the official Netgear GUI, or is it basically the same but with quite few good functional improvements (as far as I understood from these forums). I can't find any videos showing the GUI, and going through options, just to get a picture of how everything works/looks.

I hear Killhippie's opinion and completely understand his love for the XR500, but in the same time I am taking the current R7800 incredible sale price into the consideration... it's not easy to decide since I also got that XR500 for quite amazing price yesterday.

I am very sorry for this long post, but I hope there will be someone with their valuable opinion chiming in. I am interested to learn what each one of you would do in this situation, and at least short explanation why would they pick the one they did... like a hidden opinion poll, lol.

Thank you all once again! You all are always super helpful and contributing to everybody in the best way possible. Just wanted you all to know, there are some people who respect that every second of their life. Thank you!

I do have R7800 and its not the router that one should buy in 2019. The QOS is a joke on R7800 and the QOS database was updated last time in 2017. Even the last firmware update from Netgear was in 2018. This router has already hit it's EOL.

The last update for the R7800 was in January 2019. Till then I believe updates were roughly every 2-3 months or so. It’s almost July at this point so updates will be less frequent and probably just major security fixes, but not quite EOL yet. If you want it get only for the WiFi performance and nothing else. The QoS is minimal, I cared more about device priorities which worked fine, rather than stream detect type stuff so if you need the stream detect type stuff yeah doesn’t look like further updates aren’t coming.

If you need any semblance of advanced features and more frequent continuing updates and not just good WiFi performance I’d probably say go for an Asus AC86U in regards to current crop of AC routers. On the Open Source side though the R7800 is still a gem and quite liked in the OpenWRT community, as it’s Qualcomm based. The newer Broadcom based routers aren’t very Open Source friendly so just thought I’d mention that.

Last edited:
I do have R7800 and its not the router that one should buy in 2019. The QOS is a joke on R7800 and the QOS database was updated last time in 2017. Even the last firmware update from Netgear was in 2018. This router has already hit it's EOL.

Hi rk8531! Thank you so much for you input. I totally understand that. I was even looking at Synology RT2600AC, and while I do understand it's few good years old hardware, Synology keeps updating it with super useful features. I was thinking about R7800 only in case Voxel's firmware is still being updated (I am not sure, talking out of my a** at the moment), and of course in case, his firmware looks better than official clunky Netgear one. I know looks is not as important as functionality, but I don't even ask that question since I am sure (reading from others) that Voxel's work is top-notch, and I have no doubt it works amazing. Thanks a lot for your comment, greatly appreciated!

The last update for the R7800 was in January 2019. Till then I believe updates were roughly every 2-3 months or so. It’s almost July at this point so updates will be less frequent and probably just major security fixes, but not quite EOL yet. If you want it get only for the WiFi performance and nothing else. The QoS is minimal, I cared more about device priorities which worked fine, rather than stream detect type stuff so if you need the stream detect type stuff yeah doesn’t look like further updates aren’t coming.

If you need any semblance of advanced features and more frequent continuing updates and not just good WiFi performance I’d probably say go for an Asus AC86U in regards to current crop of AC routers. On the Open Source side though the R7800 is still a gem and quite liked in the OpenWRT community, as it’s Qualcomm based. The newer Broadcom based routers aren’t very Open Source friendly so just thought I’d mention that.

Thank you so much! All points taken. Is Voxel still working on R7800 firmware variations of his own? I am guessing that will most likely slowly die too along with the router. I mean if it's imminent hitting its EOL, Voxel also won't have any base to work with, that's simple reality just like with all those amazing updates from RMerlin... when router hits its EOL, that's it. Maybe few more updates, and then everything eventually comes to a full stop. I've had RT68U (not to be confused with RT86U you mentioned), and I remember I've had quite a share of problems with it... constantly. Not saying that was a bad router, it's just in my setup and environment, it did give me quite a number of problems. I am sure those work perfectly fine for others. All that until I got rid of it (died finally) and got myself AC3100. Never ever have I had a better router. Again, this what I'm trying to go with now, is not for me, it's for my sister's daughter. RT-86U sounds like a great option, although it's not on sale at the moment. Thank you a million!

I still love my R7800, though it's been delegated to a wireless bridge for 160Mhz testing for routers that support 160Mhz WiFi. I still feel the R7800 is a good overall general router. QoS may have some oddities, however I've really haven't been using that since I got mine. The R7800 is a good gaming router for general gaming.
Thought as others mentioned, it's getting to be long in the pants and good fixes coming from NG maybe getting more limited. Thanks to Voxel, he does what he can to effect better FW though he can be limited on code that he can't change that comes from NG. He helps keep those model routers going as best as he can though.

And there are other newer generation routers out there. You may want to give D-Link DIR-882 router a review. It's a nice solid router and works great for gaming as well and is supporting of 160Mhz WiFi. Simplistic UI for users who just want to setup a router and run. More advanced users like more stuff to fiddle with so the UI isn't great for them. The router does what it's supposed to. Also has 3rd party FW support from DD-WRT as well. And for the cost, it's well worth it. I found one used on Amazon.

I also enjoy my XR450. Does really well for that gaming router for gamers that game alot. I wish I could say the same about the XR700, however I believe it's still maturing. ;)

I still love my R7800, though it's been delegated to a wireless bridge for 160Mhz testing for routers that support 160Mhz WiFi. I still feel the R7800 is a good overall general router. QoS may have some oddities, however I've really haven't been using that since I got mine. The R7800 is a good gaming router for general gaming.
Thought as others mentioned, it's getting to be long in the pants and good fixes coming from NG maybe getting more limited. Thanks to Voxel, he does what he can to effect better FW though he can be limited on code that he can't change that comes from NG. He helps keep those model routers going as best as he can though.

And there are other newer generation routers out there. You may want to give D-Link DIR-882 router a review. It's a nice solid router and works great for gaming as well and is supporting of 160Mhz WiFi. Simplistic UI for users who just want to setup a router and run. More advanced users like more stuff to fiddle with so the UI isn't great for them. The router does what it's supposed to. Also has 3rd party FW support from DD-WRT as well. And for the cost, it's well worth it. I found one used on Amazon.

I also enjoy my XR450. Does really well for that gaming router for gamers that game alot. I wish I could say the same about the XR700, however I believe it's still maturing. ;)

Thank you e38BimmerFN, greatly appreciated. Looking at all three replies I've received to my initial post, I can't help but notice not once was XR500 mentioned :) Is that not a good option? I kind of understand when price is like it is now when sale is off, and XR500 went back to its regular price here in Canada ($379.99). Despite the DumaOS and how good some people praise it is, I still believe price is still little too high. Gamers who want to be better than others will always try anything that will give them that edge :) I am also sure there are many who can't game whatever equipment you give them, and regardless of how good it is... they can have the smallest possible lag, but if they are not built for playing video games, they won't produce any results. I've had probably the worst router at one point, and was always among 3-4 top players in Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 and 4 back in the days (I meant inside that player list and the score at the end of each game). I never even knew what lag is or had any idea on how to fix it.

Anyway... would XR500 at the price I've got it for ($280 CAD), still be a good option, a router that's not going to die in next 1-2 years? Also, I am really interested to learn your expert opinion on DumaOS. I've learned it's basically an add (and good at that) that's laid on the top of the existing NG firmware, with a lot nicer and more intuitive user interface and GUI. Just to mention... my niece is not so n00b when it comes to networking, she is coming from Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX and Unifi UAP-AC Lite, and she was even able to manage that, alone without anyone interfering with her setups. AC Lite is still in perfectly good working condition, so I plan to extend their network using it in a part of their house that usually have WiFi dead zone... but EdgeRouterX gave its last breath few weeks ago, so they temporarily use very old Airport Extreme A1354 (4th Generation) that I gave them. At least they have internet and it's always super stable with that Airport. However, I think it's time to upgrade their network a bit :)

Best Regards

It’s just the same OpenWRT firmware base on the R7800 and XR500. Difference is that that the XR500 has additional Duma software additions in regards to things like QoS and traffic monitoring and support for OpenVPN profiles.

If you have decent internet speeds without any issues with upload bottle necks, a gaming router may not really make that much of a difference. I personally find SQM QoS on OpenWRT to be the best set and forget type QoS for standard users/gamers. Basically if you have no issues with gaming now then don’t bother paying a huge amount extra for gaming routers.

It’s just the same OpenWRT firmware base on the R7800 and XR500. Difference is that that the XR500 has additional Duma software additions in regards to things like QoS and traffic monitoring and support for OpenVPN profiles.

If you have decent internet speeds without any issues with upload bottle necks, a gaming router may not really make that much of a difference. I personally find SQM QoS on OpenWRT to be the best set and forget type QoS for standard users/gamers. Basically if you have no issues with gaming now then don’t bother paying a huge amount extra for gaming routers.

Thank you! As I mentioned in my initial post and the last one (the one before this one I'm writing right now)... I do gaming from time to time these days, but I am super fine with my ASUS RT-AC3100 and Merlin installed (since the day one I purchased that router, I've never had official ASUS firmware installed on it, except for the first day before I installed Merlin)... this one that I purchased yesterday and got on sale (Netgear XR500) for $280 CAD at BestBuy (price went back this morning to whooping $379.99), is actually for my sister's home and her daughter who also is a gamer. Her old EdgeRouterX died, and I gave them my old Airport Extreme A1354 (4th Gen) so they at least have internet connection at home. It's better than nothing, that's for sure... but I want to upgrade their network setup and I found that XR500 on sale for as low as $280 CAD at BestBuy. Since my niece loves online multiplayer games, I thought it wouldn't hurt, especially we can set it up properly so everybody at home is happy and no one is bugging anyone with "stealing" too much of their own bandwidth, making the internet too slow for others.

EDIT: another reason I want to upgrade them... I am not sure when was the last time Airport Extreme got its update. Not worried about new features and improved function, but what I am worried, is their network security. I am pretty sure nothing has been patched on those routers for so long, since Apple got out of router business a while ago. I've had nothing but steady and solid connection with it while I was using it few years ago, but I don't want their network to be compromised at any point just because this router have not received security update since forever... and most likely, will never receive updates again.

Cheers!

Last edited:
AirPort Extreme actually just got a security update if I recall correctly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!