What's new

Netgear xr500 your experiences with this router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems like the router isn't getting into the mode correctly. Did you enable telnet ON the router? I believe this is needed.

I'm back on XR FW with my R7800.

I wasn't sure about this either. So I enabled it ON the router. I was able to send the file correctly.
I presumed telnet ON the router wouldn't be needed by default.

Not sure why Pege63 can't get theres sent.

You don’t need to enable telnet on the router side if doing the firmware reinstall. This tftp method is a fail safe that works without needing to fully load the firmware in the first place. I meant enable in Windows.

Last edited:
No i have not enabled telnet ON the router, how can i do that now?

can you access 192.168.1.1/debug.htm in a browser?

I cant find the setting for enabled telnet ON the router with DumaOS, do you know where?

can you access 192.168.1.1/debug.htm in a browser?

Yes its enabled in Windows i tried also the NG FW

C:\Temp>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT update.img
Connect request failed

It should be as follows if you put in temp.

cd C:\Temp
Hit enter, then:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT update.img
I cant find the setting for enabled telnet ON the router with DumaOS, do you know where?

You don’t need to turn telnet on in the router UI. It won’t do anything for the factory install procedure as it will be enabled by default as this is a fail safe.

I think he's having problems setting the file after it's in fail safe mode. The connection is refused. Maybe he's not getting it in full fail safe mode...

Might try holding the reset button after the power LED blinks WHITE for an additional 5 seconds.

What method did you use to revert back to Voxels FW?

I used the following procedure:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

This should work for you.

Also, I found that the "tftpd64" program works better so I use it:

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Quick instructions:

Download the "tftpd64 portable edition", extract the zip, and double click on "tftpd64.exe". Follow the above procedure but instead of using the "TFTP2.exe" program use the "Tftpd64.exe" program. Click on the "Tftp" tab, enter 192.168.1.1 as "Host", click on the 3 dots to the right of the "Local file" and point to the Voxel's latest file "R7800-V1.0.2.50SF.img", after the R7800 power lamp is blinking white, click on "Put" button in the "Tftpd64.exe" program.

Last edited:
Sorry, there are some checks in dumaos fw that prevents to back to 1.x.x.x fw.
I've post the solution on myopenrouter topic.
Just unzip it and flash from the GUI and it will brings You to the V1.0.2.46 stock fw.

Figured there was. Thanks for the easier file.

Sorry, there are some checks in dumaos fw that prevents to back to 1.x.x.x fw.
I've post the solution on myopenrouter topic.
Just unzip it and flash from the GUI and it will brings You to the V1.0.2.46 stock fw.

Thanks m8 u r d man!
And thanks to the rest also you rocks.

Last edited:
Let's back to topic.
Those who tested DumaOS and returned to the stock fw please describe why you did this?

I did it because i get lower speed on my LAN i got 80-86mbps but on th WIFI i got 127-130mbps
with Voxels i get same speed on both network 127-130mbps and it did not worked in AP mode for me, hove much i tried.
But i liked the GUI i switch back when it be fixed and will be fast as Voxels FW.

Let's back to topic.
Those who tested DumaOS and returned to the stock fw please describe why you did this?

As I stated before, I really liked the xr500 interface look and feel. It makes the R7800 look much more professional and gives you the appearance of quality. Netgears firmware looks like it was quickly thrown together in a back room as an afterthought.

For the short time I used the xr500 firmware on the R7800, QOS appeared to work much better than standard Netgear QOS.

The only problem that I noticed was I could not get access to my eSATA drive via Readyshare but I'm sure this is due to the fact that the Netgear xr500 does not have eSATA, only two USB 3.0 ports. If this problem could be fixed, this firmware would be a "keeper" for me.

I reverted back to stock FW see how the revert process worked. I haven't tried the new file yet, however I can confirm the tftp method works for going back to stock FW. I went back to the XR FW and tested AP mode. I can confirm using Dynamic addresses for AP works fine LAN to LAN connected. I didn't get a chance to test static addresses to see if there is a known bug here as there is a known bug in Stock/Voxels FW. Will try this soon.

Has anyone with a Gbps link tested how DumaOS performs on the R7800? On stock, this model seems to only hit ~750 Mbps, which isn't that close to Gbps speed

Regarding LEDE, SQM Piece of Cake is probably the best I’ve used bufferbloat wise, it’s by the same people who created FQ_Codel. Higher speeds while maintaining low latency compared to Codel. It does a pretty good job of splitting up the upload bandwidth even under heavy use. Honestly recent updates to Broadcom’s dynamic QoS (with the R8500) make it as good as the XR500 firmware in terms of latency and buffer-bloat if not better, at least in my use. Infact I used the R8500 as a benchmark when I interacted with Netgear devs early on in test process when the XR500 firmware had bufferbloat/latency issues. I don’t play console games mostly PC so I can’t really comment on the region limiter. At least for PC games the QoS detect feature was hit or miss even with supported game engines. Things maybe different now.

My experience, others may have different results,
CenturyLink 40/5 speeds Bufferbloat:
Stock R7800 without Streamboost: D/F
Stock R7800 with Streamboost: A/B sometimes C
XR500 firm on R7800 (initial post test version): A/B
LEDE R7800 with Piece of Cake QoS: A+/A rarely B
R8500 without Dynamic QoS: C/D
R8500 with Dynamic QoS: A+/A/B

With Dynamic QoS on the R8500 and R7800 on LEDE I could also get higher speed test results for upload and download as I needed to reserve less bandwidth to get good results.

I recently switched to Comcast and even without QoS ,bufferbloat is a B on my R8500 even though upload speeds are same but more consistent.

Last edited:
Yeah I need to try LEDE with cake sometime. Really the GEO filter is what sets the Duma OS apart from other routers, it works! When I was playing COD WWII, if I changed my geo location to the East coast I would be beasting and feasting but that only lasted a month. LOL. I guess need to find another server to play on!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!