What's new

Netgear's Horrible Support - support emails pasted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

riehmulus

New Around Here
Review Ticket History – Case #29553818

Summary:

C7000 - DDOS and remote access

Open

Communication History:

Online Comment

1/9/2018 2:15 PM

I have tons of warnings in my log for remote atttacks. I would also like to know how to disable ipv6. My wifi works great sometimes but has some really horrible moments too. Wondering if the 2 problems are related?

NETGEAR Support

1/10/2018 12:00 AM

Case ID:29553818

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Rama(Expert ID:1591), and I am your support expert for today.

Are you facing Internet disconnection via wifi?

If yes, please help us with few information's:

1. Does the wired connection is working fine with out any issue?

2. Are you facing this issue connecting to 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

3. Do you see any changes in the light status when the connection disconnects?

4. How often do you face this issue?

5. Kindly attach the screen shot of the logs:

>>To attach a file on your email query, please refer to the steps below:

1) Log into the my.netgear.com Portal.
2) Click the "Attach Files to Support Case" option located in left side Menu.
3) Select from Drop down "My Open Cases" the Case# to which you would to attach the file.
4) Click "Select" button and select the file and it will be uploaded.
File accepted are PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, DOC, ZIP. Maximum Size allowed is 30MB.

6. Does your service provider provides IPV6 connection?

7. What's the IPv4 address you receive connecting to the modem?

8. Please open up a browser from your device which is connected to the router and type it as www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.0.1

Enter the username as admin and password as password if it's prompting.

Click on Advanced tab>>Advanced setup>>IPV6 and attach the screen shot of that page.

Please let us know the results of the these steps so that I can determine the next action.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Regards,

Rama
Expert ID:1591
NETGEAR support.

Online Comment

1/10/2018 2:45 PM

Wired clients don't notice the slowness as much, but it is prevalent

Both 2.4 and 5

All lights were on the modem

It happens sporadically all the time

NETGEAR Support

1/10/2018 6:38 PM

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Mercy (Expert ID:1825), and I am your support Expert today.

Thank you for the prompt response

Christopher, in order to isolate the issue, please let me know the following details:

1.Kindly login to www.routerlogin.net
2.Then Click on Advanced> Setup> Wireless Setup.
3.Under Wireless Setup change the channels to 1 or 11 for 2.4Ghz and 153 for 5Ghz and hit apply.
4.Kindly monitor the status and let us know the result.

I am looking forward for your response.

Please do visit http://support.netgear.com for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

A notice will automatically be sent to your email address when I respond to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to that email. Instead, to add additional information to your case, click No to the question "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?"

If you click YES, your case will be closed and a separate email containing a survey link will be sent so you can share with us your customer support experience. Please rate the support and service I provided you.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Regards,
Mercy
NETGEAR Support

Online Comment

1/10/2018 6:51 PM

Those are the currently the channels i am using

What about the malicious events in the log?

How do i turn off ipv6 to clients?

NETGEAR Support

1/11/2018 12:41 AM

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Mercy (Expert ID:1825), and I am your support Expert today.

Thank you for the prompt response.

1.If you play any multiplayer games, there would be times you will get a inbound request from other networks. At times they will be denied for security reasons. which will show as DOS attacks.

2.If you are having issue with games being intermittent, we might do a port forwarding for the required ports for the games
I am looking forward for your response.

Please do visit http://support.netgear.com for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

A notice will automatically be sent to your email address when I respond to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to that email. Instead, to add additional information to your case, click No to the question "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?"

If you click YES, your case will be closed and a separate email containing a survey link will be sent so you can share with us your customer support experience. Please rate the support and service I provided you.

Regards,
Mercy
NETGEAR Support

Online Comment

1/11/2018 3:13 AM

So far I'm not very happy with your level of support and total disregard for answering questions. I answered all of your initial questions and uploaded everything asked of me. Can't you do the same? This is the last time I contact your support channel, the next correspondence will be Netgear on full blast on both Amazon and your forums to display the incompetence and lack of understanding

1. Why doesn't my log say blocked for all the port scans, lan access, ddos, etc. How do I know if they are being blocked or not?

2. For the 3rd time, how can i either disable ipv6 for clients or turn on dhcp and set the number of addresses to 1?

3. I also get this strange entry in the connected devices that coincides with a log entry. Why does Matt-iPhone have an IP of 89.130.179.0 when I know it is 192.168.0.17 and a lan access attempt from Alabama?

Connected device entry:
SSID Status IP Address MAC Address Device Name
BetterThanYours Allowed 89.130.179.0
2600:8800:5982:b300:f132:39d7:d3a:ea33 94:E9:6A:BC:B2:E8 Matt-iPhone

Log entry:
[LAN access from remote] from 108.95.70.124:3075 to 192.168.0.17:3075 1 Wed Jan 10 16:43:06 2018 192.168.0.17:3075 108.95.70.124:3075

NETGEAR Support

1/11/2018 2:04 PM

case:29553818

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Vijay (Expert ID:1691) and I am your support Expert today.

I really apologize for the Inconvenience happen to you, I do understand that you are facing DDOs attack on your modem. I will do my best to Isolate the issue.

Please help me with the following Information.

1,Make sure the Remote management option is not enabled on the modem, If enabled please disable it and check?

2, Please uncheck respond to ping to the Internet port option ?

3.Please uncheck Dynamic Dns, If it is enabled ?

Looking forward for you response.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Vijay,
NETGEAR support

Online Comment

1/12/2018 3:54 PM

remote management is disabled

everything is unchecked in the "wan setup" tab. ie ping, firewall, dmz, port scan, and sip.

dynamic dns is disabled

NETGEAR Support

1/13/2018 1:01 AM

Dear Christoper,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Rama(Expert ID:1591), and I am following up your case.

Thank you so much for your time and patience.

The reason for receiving DDOS attack is caused due to some any pop-ups or un-necessary websites etc.

Kindly install Anti-virus program on your devices like computer or laptop etc and check it.

Also try to clear all the cookies.

Try assigning static DNS on the modem, on the netgear genie page click on Advanced tab<>Setup>>Internet>>Domain Name Server (DNS) Address and select the option as "Use These DNS Servers" and enter the primary DNS as 8.8.8.8 and secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4 and click on apply.

Click on Advanced tab>>Administration and try to clear the logs and uncheck the option "Known DoS attacks and Port Scans" and click on apply and check it once.

If still the issue persists, we will go ahead and provide a replacement for the product.

Please let us know the results of the these steps so that I can determine the next action.

Regards,

Rama
Expert ID:1591
NETGEAR support.

Online Comment

1/13/2018 4:56 AM

If has nothing to do with a virus. I have CCNP, CCDP, and MSCE certifications and would know if it was my issue.

Tonight at 9:30 MST, both 2.4 and 5Ghz radio lights starting blinking and complete access to the router was out for 10 minutes. I finally was able to log in and i attached the logs and event log to this case.

Please send me a new router and preferably a C7500 or C7800. This one is junk.

NETGEAR Support

1/13/2018 1:37 PM

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Vidyaa(Expert ID:1648) and I am going to follow up on this case.

Thank you for writing us back!!!

Got your response Christopher. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. But if you want to replace your device, since it is a recently purchased unit, please try to replace the unit in the store. But you are having trouble replacing it in the store, please let us know. We could arrange a replacement to your device.

But before that, could you please send your Proof of purchase to customer.service@netgear.com to claim your warranty? Your POP will be validated by the concerned department before providing you a replaced unit.

Also send us a copy of the POP along with your email response as well.

Looking forward for your response.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Vidyaa
NETGEAR Support

Online Comment

1/13/2018 4:22 PM

Please send me a new router preferably a C7500 or C7800. I dont want the same problem router model

Online Comment

1/13/2018 4:59 PM

I uploaded the receipt but realized the purchase date is 1/22/17. So if you could update my acct information that would be great.

I don't want the same router and all it's problems. Please send me a C7500 or C7800 to make me a happy customer. I paid $200 originally and will pay the difference if that is what it takes.

NETGEAR Support

1/13/2018 11:54 PM

Dear Christopher,

My name is Annu(Expert ID: 1595), and I am following up on your case.

Thank you for writing us back.

Christopher, Yes, I have changed it for you.

Sorry to say this, we can only provide you the replacement for the same device.

Regards,
Annu
NETGEAR Support

***Please be aware that your case will autoclose after 7 days of inactivity.***

Online Comment

1/14/2018 12:10 AM

Okay so did you ship me a new one already?

NETGEAR Support

1/14/2018 2:26 PM

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Vidyaa(Expert ID:1648) and I am going to follow up on this case.

Thank you for writing us back!!!

Got your response Christopher. No, the product has not been shipped to you yet.

As we have informed earlier, your POP will be validated by the concerned department before providing you a replaced unit. Please bear with us until then. And your purchase date is Jan 22, 2017 as per your profile. It has been changed successfully.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Vidyaa
NETGEAR Support

Online Comment

1/18/2018 3:13 PM

Where is the replacement device?

NETGEAR Support

1/19/2018 12:42 AM

Dear Christopher,

My name is Annu(Expert ID: 1595), Iam going to follow up on your case.

Thank you for writing us back.

Christopher, I'm really sorry for the delay, Kindly give us a day, we have already forwarded your request to the concerned department, after validation of POP only, we can provide you the replacement.

Regards,
Annu
NETGEAR Support

***Please be aware that your case will autoclose after 7 days of inactivity.***

NETGEAR Support

1/19/2018 4:01 AM

Notes added by 33026
Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for providing your proof of purchase. I have updated your product registration accordingly.

Below please find the warranty details of your product.
C7000
4B*******12BD

Purchase date: Jan 22, 2017
Hardware Warranty end date: Jan 22, 2018
Telephone Support end date: Apr 22, 2017

For more warranty details please click on the following link:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1113

Additional support information can also be found on our Knowledge Base located at:

http://www.netgear.com/support/
https://community.netgear.com

For technical assistance or replacement processing please contact us back at 1-888-638-4327 our support experts are available 24/7.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Chris Olpindo
Customer Care Advocate
NETGEAR, Inc.

Online Comment

1/31/2018 2:36 PM

When is the new modem going to arrive? Have you even created a order yet for a replacement? Wireless connections drop everyday now.

Online Comment

1/31/2018 2:37 PM

I am still waiting for a replacement modem since my wireless connection drops everyday. Has a order even been created for the replacement yet?

NETGEAR Support

2/1/2018 11:02 AM

Case:29553818

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Vijay (Expert ID:1691) and I am your support Expert today.

The Pop validation is completed successfully and as I went through the previous case notes I see the primary issue was wireless drop on 2.4ghz and 5ghz is that right?

And you have also mentioned the Dos attack which is something not related to the hardware of the router, when any-torrent downloads or while visiting unsecured website the mac address of the modem will get registered on their sites which is the main reason for DOS attacks.

Just to confirm whether the issue related to the wireless drop on both the bands even after changing the wireless channel on the router.

I apologize for the inconvenience, the RMA for the unit can only be processed if the unit is isolated to be defective after doing all possible steps.

Sincerely,
Vijay,
NETGEAR support

Online Comment

2/1/2018 1:12 PM

I havent been checking the logs for malicious attacks because i figured a new router had been shipped to replace it. Even after changing the wireless channel on both bands, the signal drops all the time. Your service is horrible and i still have a peice of crap router because you guys have no idea what your doing. Im going to paste this entire chat log into every networking blog to show them just how crappy it is. Send me a damn replacement already!!

NETGEAR Support

2/1/2018 5:05 PM

case: 29553818

Dear Christopher,

I have narrowed down your issue to what seems to be a hardware problem on the C7000.

I really apologize for the inconvenience, as you have stated you are facing wireless drop on both the wireless bands from the modem and all possible trouble shooting steps is been done. We will go-ahead and initiate the RMA for the unit.

A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) on the product has been initiated. You will receive a separate email containing a link to complete the RMA process. Please check your spam folder if you are unable to find the email for the RMA.

To track the status of your RMA online, please visit https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/rmaCheck.asp

Again, thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,
Vijay
NETGEAR Support Expert

After almost a month of getting no answers from Netgear Support, they finally did send me a new modem. After being bounced to a new support person every time, I don't know how they have any case resolutions.

Unfortunately, this is fairly common for most tech companies these days. I often refer to that one time where 3COM's tech support advised me to run a disk defrag to resolve an issue with the software used to control their USB 56K faxmodem that didn't work back in the day...

After almost a month of getting no answers from Netgear Support, they finally did send me a new modem. After being bounced to a new support person every time, I don't know how they have any case resolutions.

Make sure you leave a bad review for them on the site you bought the product, and don't buy from the company again. Only way to let them truly know you are disgusted with them, is in their pockets! I personally don't recommend Netgear to any of my friends/family (I have a device, but the next one won't be this brand). Support is a complete joke. Just look on their official forums, and all the issues with FW's. Its glaring, and they could care less. Oh well, no more of my money....

Name & shame. I also had a horrible experience with their support. I turned my back on NETGEAR and couldn't be more happy with ASUS and TP-Link. Had some issues with a TP-Link router and tried their support. It was resolved within two days. The support person saw I had a technical issue and directly connected me with their engineering, which was fast and helpful to point me in the right direction

What you suffered was atrocious, good god, definitely leave a 1 star review at your retailer.

Asus too can be sometimes just as bad TBH.
I have a $750 Asus X550LNV laptop it came with terrible build quality; with a bulging keyboard and stuck keys, basically had a warped chassis, and a throttling GPU at low temps. Asus just pretended it was normal, I believe my review is still on Newegg. I had to mod the vbios myself and disable GPU boot which solved the throttling and even told them the solution which they never implemented. Their support was pretty much like what you faced with Netgear. I still recommend Asus laptops like their UX Ultra books but support wise they are pretty bad though.

Now I had uneven core temps on my refurbished $700 Dell 7567 mid range spec nVidia 1050Ti unit with only a HDD. Sent it in twice, what did they do? Replaced a $700 laptop with a 7577 ~$1,500-$1,600 unit with a nVidia 1060, 4K display, nVME 512 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Oh and they asked if I wanted the drive from the previous one back along with my upgraded WiFi card, that I declined lol. Now very few companies provide that kind of support.

Last edited:
I have tons of warnings in my log for remote atttacks. I would also like to know how to disable ipv6. My wifi works great sometimes but has some really horrible moments too. Wondering if the 2 problems are related?

Sometimes one has a bad experience with a vendor...

One thing I've found that helps the Tier 1 support teams - Tier 1 has to work from a set of scripts (a cookbook to so speak), so one item per ticket... in the example above, this is a "multi-ticket" request, and the tier 1 folks can't handle that without going off script, which in many cases, they are prohibited from doing so.

a better approach is to break things out... one per ticket

1) I have tons of warnings in the logs for remote attacks
2) How to disable ipv6
3) My WiFi sometimes has trouble

One by one, the tier 1 reps can perhaps solve with a better outcome and a happy customer.

Back in December many many folks were having wifi dropping issues with their Linksys 3200acm's, having to reboot multiple times a day so Linksys sent out Many Velop's and Ea8300 to get their customers wireless networks back up and running, and were told to keep their 3200's so when a fix was released they could put it back in service.
That was a smart move in my opinion, and I must say I've never seen this before in the industry so kudos to Linksys, but the Wrt series have been suffering from the time since they started using the Marvell chip-set's in their Wrt routers, and the 3200's made since Sept. of last year have a different nand chip that makes it impossible to install open source firmware (wtf), and the 32x has had its own batch of issues as well.
And they announced a new model at CES this year geared toward the gamer's , I believe its the 32xb so it appears they want to piss off the gamer's too.
It just seams to me more and more company's want to keep pushing out New products, while not supporting the ones that are all ready in the field.
As consumers we must really do our homework, and not always be the first to try new products released and be Beta Testers, until they are thoroughly tested and reviewed by non bios user's in real life environments.
I my self vote with my wallet!!! and will continue to do so!!!
Just thought I would share, Mark

Tech support from any big company is a waste of time. The just copy and paste the same crap and keep saying "Sorry for the inconvenience" and "please leave feedback" which is ignored which I why I never contact them anymore. I use too but I ended up yelling at them on the phone because they are so dumb that even my grandmother who knows little about computers knows more then these idiots.

I just try to figure it out myself by going to real help forums like here where the mods don't copy the same boilerplate reply, if I can't fix it I just ditch the product and buy something else.

Tech support from any big company is a waste of time. The just copy and paste the same crap and keep saying "Sorry for the inconvenience" and "please leave feedback" which is ignored which I why I never contact them anymore. I use too but I ended up yelling at them on the phone because they are so dumb that even my grandmother who knows little about computers knows more then these idiots.
Please remember that you are dealing with humans (at least in most cases for now) on the other end, who deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect. They are following a script because that is what they are told to do and they don't get paid much.

If you want to yell at someone or more effectively complain, direct your frustration to company management. They decide how support is handled.

Good support costs money, which has to be either paid for directly or bundled into product cost. Consumers don't like either option, so we have the results we vote for with our money.

Also I've found directly contact phone support or Mfr forum Moderator contact is better than email support.

I copy and paste all the time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!