What's new

NetLimiter Functionality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gathor

New Around Here
I have for some time been looking for a router that can limit the internet speed for some users. The perfect solution would be to be able to create a guest net and set max speed to e.g. 5mb download and 1mb upload.

Do anyone know of a router that can do this ?

I think maybe it would be possible with the DD-WRT firmware, but I not 100% sure and don't want to buy a router and realize it don't work. Also I would like the nice interface and functionality most new routers got today.

Many often suggest I use QoS to prioritize my own connection, but that is not what I'm looking for.

I have for some time been looking for a router that can limit the internet speed for some users. The perfect solution would be to be able to create a guest net and set max speed to e.g. 5mb download and 1mb upload.

Do anyone know of a router that can do this ?

I think maybe it would be possible with the DD-WRT firmware, but I not 100% sure and don't want to buy a router and realize it don't work. Also I would like the nice interface and functionality most new routers got today.

Many often suggest I use QoS to prioritize my own connection, but that is not what I'm looking for.

On Windows 7 PCs under GP group policy you can limit the amount of bandwidth on them. By default about 20% is limited. You can increase that or reduce that amount to a factor of zero. You can also limit the TCP count by default is 10 to higher or lower number.

Use the Router finder. In the QoS section, set the Type filter for B/W or Both and the Direction filter for Both.

Use the Router finder. In the QoS section, set the Type filter for B/W or Both and the Direction filter for Both.

Thanks for the tips, so much easier when one know what to look at :)

I have been looking at Asus RT-N66U and if the QoS system would work for what I want :

The QoS feature itself is a bit odd. It looks like a priority-based system, with five levels. But instead of each level having a relative priority to the other, you can set a max/min bandwidth limits both up and download for each level. I've never seen this approach and wonder how well it works.

Anyone that have tested it and can tell a bit more then the review dose ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!