What's new

Network DDNS setup problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superkrups20056

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me set up a DDNS on my Asus AC 68R with my current set up. Currently, I have my modem connected to a Linksys E1000 router (192.168.0.1) in the basement which has multiple Ethernet connections that go to ports in the walls around the house. Out of one of the upstairs ports, for better signal, I connected my AC68R with an IP address of 192.168.1.1. According to speed tests I am getting the download speed I paid for (10 mb/s).

Now I am trying to set up a Dynamic DNS and I am running into an "invalid IP" issue. I'm assuming it's because of my multiple NAT environment because I am using 2 routers in my network setup. Is there any settings I can change with my current setup to get the DDNS working? I am willing to install custom firmware on either router if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

The only way to have the router handle DDNS updates is for that router to be fronting the Internet. If it sits behind another router then it doesn't know what the real WAN IP is - its own WAN IP will be the internal one allocated by the fronting router.

The only way to have the router handle DDNS updates is for that router to be fronting the Internet. If it sits behind another router then it doesn't know what the real WAN IP is - its own WAN IP will be the internal one allocated by the fronting router.

That's exactly what I figured. There is no workaround for this? No playing with the DHCP settings/static IP settings on the Linksys?

Thanks.

You need to set up the DDNS on the router facing the Internet.

Then using port forwarding you may be able to get certain other functions to work on the double NATed router behind the first router. I have been able to get FTP and remote access to work without a problem. I have not been able to get my ASUS to function as a VPN server.

You will have to experiment and see what works for you.

If your ISP assigns you a static IP address you may be able to solve your problem by adding an additional router/fw layer.
See this post.

Set ddns on the E1000 you have. Not sure if stock firmware on the Linksys supports that. You can flash Tomato to the E1000 to get that feature.

Also, I think you could use the ddns update software client installed on a system that is connected to first router. I used to do that when I first started using DynDNS service. (I think that was the name of the company I used...been too long.)