What's new

Network extender and DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes you are right, but logging into an SSID with password is not very much work.

Thankfully, it's more than just powering it up. :)

If he has an only extender then there is no setup. You just plug in the power. DHCP definitely does not have any thing to do with a wireless extender.

All most folks have to do is launch the setup and pick the network to extend. Jus ta few minutes and you are away and running. Here it was nutty, the extender always failed to give the PC using the extender an IP number.

Bj

That's definitely wrong. You should not be creating static routes on the Asus. You would only do that if you wanted to connect a second router with a different subnet. If you read @coxhaus' post again you can see that he was mistaken in thinking you had a second router, you don't, you have a wireless repeater (aka extender).

EDIT: Did you follow the video instructions in post #6, particularly Method 2?

Well, everyone, it is finally working. I assigned it an IP, just like I did 10 times before and now it works. I 'm not sure I have the patience or desire to find out what I had done wrong, I'm just happy the patio finally has a strong signal.

thank-you everyone for your help.

Bj

One unexpected scenario I ran into with a tplink extender was that it changed the MAC addresses as seen by the router. It remapped the front half (IIRC) so it was messing with my DHCP manual assignments and this would be a problem for whitelisting too if you use it. Just something to keep in mind.

I trashed the extender and wired an AP instead. Very happy I did that as the performance is 1000x better.

One unexpected scenario I ran into with a tplink extender was that it changed the MAC addresses as seen by the router. It remapped the front half (IIRC) so it was messing with my DHCP manual assignments and this would be a problem for whitelisting too if you use it. Just something to keep in mind.

I trashed the extender and wired an AP instead. Very happy I did that as the performance is 1000x better.

I installed an extender for a friend once across a patio where it was not convenient to run a wire between buildings. I much prefer running a wired AP.