What's new

Network Printer Recognition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curmudgeon10

Occasional Visitor
OS: Windows 10 64Bit Home. My PC connects to the network via Wifi. Connected to the PC is a laser printer via USB. Laser printer works fine from PC. Several weeks ago, I set up a connection to the printer on my wife's Wifi connected Chromebook by entering the Printer's IP: Chromebook recognized it and printed to it.

Now, with nothing changed since then, Chromebook reports printer has "an error in setup." I can't even find the Printer's IP in its Properties tab -- none is listed -- nor is it shown on my Router's admin page. Still, it operates fine via the PC. But to the network, it is invisible.

In Windows, in Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Advance Sharing Settings, Turn On Network Discovery is checked On, and Turn On File and Printer Sharing is turned on.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

I set up a connection to the printer on my wife's Wifi connected Chromebook by entering the Printer's IP:
As the printer is connected to your PC by USB you would have entered the IP address of your PC, not the printer as it doesn't have one. So make sure the IP address of your PC hasn't changed.

OS: Windows 10 64Bit Home. My PC connects to the network via Wifi. Connected to the PC is a laser printer via USB. Laser printer works fine from PC. Several weeks ago, I set up a connection to the printer on my wife's Wifi connected Chromebook by entering the Printer's IP: Chromebook recognized it and printed to it.

Now, with nothing changed since then, Chromebook reports printer has "an error in setup." I can't even find the Printer's IP in its Properties tab -- none is listed -- nor is it shown on my Router's admin page. Still, it operates fine via the PC. But to the network, it is invisible.

In Windows, in Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Advance Sharing Settings, Turn On Network Discovery is checked On, and Turn On File and Printer Sharing is turned on.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

The usual way to access a printer connected to a PC is to share the printer and then add it to Windows on the other PC. This requires the printer host PC to be running.

I prefer to wire a printer to the LAN, assign it a static IP address, and then install its network driver in Windows on each PC.

OE

The usual way to access a printer connected to a PC is to share the printer and then add it to Windows on the other PC. This requires the printer host PC to be running.

I prefer to wire a printer to the LAN, assign it a static IP address, and then install its network driver in Windows on each PC.

OE
I'd do that too if the geography permitted it.

Win10 Home is different from Pro in what you can do to the networking settings, so i don’t know if you can turn off dhcp on the PC and give it a fixed IP address.
what likely happened is DHCP server in your router could have assigned a new IP address to your PC. Chrome is probably looking for it at the old IP address.

You can find out under the network adapter settings under control panel or can use the CMD window and enter : ipconfig /all to get a list of all the network adapters with their IP addresses.