What's new

Network setup for a 102m2(1100ish square feet) - 2 story house.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dipidip

New Around Here
Hi

I live in a house and I have a 1gig down and up. It's thick brick/concrete walls. Currently use an Asus rt-ac66u b1 with Merlin firmware. It is located downstairs in living room. On my PC upstairs(almost directly above living room) I get 350ish Mbps on 5gHz band. So it's pretty good!

I have seen LandPet on YouTube on the Eero Pro 6(not available in EU) and the Orbi RBK725. Both give him his max ethernet speed(480Mbps) on his AP in the following setup: 1 router and 1 access point in a mesh (no ethernet backhaul) with a wired connection to the AP. Really surprising to me that it worked so good.

Reason I am not jumping on the Orbi is that I have bad experience with them in the past (RBK30 specifically)

I want to upgrade to get as STABLE a network I can with a speed close to my max potential. I can not do a wired backhaul.

Question:
What setup can you guys recommend?

(I'm open to all suggestions to get the most stable setup with as high speed on my PC - stability is most important since I am a programmer)

Thank you for the hopefully coming advice

Is this a rush? If not, wait for true 3-Band, 3-Radio solutions coming soon. I hope that by this summer, we'll have an RMerlin powered Asus Wi-Fi 6E router that will be the first to give greater than 1Gbps backhaul, wirelessly. And without the hit on performance and other 3-Radio, 2-Band limitations, and annoyances any 'Tri-Band' router may currently offer.

N
Is this a rush? If not, wait for true 3-Band, 3-Radio solutions coming soon. I hope that by this summer, we'll have an RMerlin powered Asus Wi-Fi 6E router that will be the first to give greater than 1Gbps backhaul, wirelessly. And without the hit on performance and other 3-Radio, 2-Band limitations, and annoyances any 'Tri-Band' router may currently offer.
No rush no. This sounds exactly like the type of thing I'm looking for.
It sounds a bit vague and magical but promising .
Is the router model you are talking about "to-be-released" or is it simply the firmware we are waiting for? Do you have more specifics?

And just in case this wonderful solution doesn't show the light or I get inpatient: Is there a current setup you can recommend?

EDIT:
Just realized now that I am finally at my PC that you are person I setup my router with the help of. Your posts on this forum are simply great :D
I plan on doing a full reset and basic firmware settings setup later today based on an earlier post from you.
This: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/be...rt-ac68u-actualized-to-2019.55684/post-473602
Possible this also I'm gonna look at after: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wo...th-ax88u-as-the-root-router.68483/post-642251
Guess they both have a lot of the same info :D

So thanks for the previous help you have provided!

Last edited:
You're welcome!

And, my apologies, the actual model numbers I do not know. But what I am waiting to see proven is the Wi-Fi 6E routers with RMerlin support, 12 antennae/12 stream with greater than quad-core 1.8GHz CPU, and more than 1GB of RAM to have the resources to push that kind of wireless data at the highest speeds possible on those 3 radios/3 bands. The 2.5GHz band, the 5.0GHz band, and the 6GHz band, simultaneously.

In addition to the links you already found, the following may be of help too.