What's new

Network setup help ASUS AC68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unique904

Occasional Visitor
im hoping for some help on a setup i have.

I'm using a asus AC68u with skys ADSL router iv tried it using it just to detect DHCP and all works more or less but i cant use the DNS functions ,it just says unable to connect and gives me the IP of the default sky router ip 192.168.0.1.
I'v tried turning off DHCP on the sky router but then i cant get access to the internet and iv tried using the asus router as a access point but then i loose the dns and aicloud functions that im trying to get working.

can anyone offer any advise

Thanks

Let's see where we are.

Is this a new installation ? Is it your first router installation with the skys modem ?

im hoping for some help on a setup i have.

I'm using a asus AC68u with skys ADSL router iv tried it using it just to detect DHCP and all works more or less but i cant use the DNS functions ,it just says unable to connect and gives me the IP of the default sky router ip 192.168.0.1.
I'v tried turning off DHCP on the sky router but then i cant get access to the internet and iv tried using the asus router as a access point but then i loose the dns and aicloud functions that im trying to get working.

can anyone offer any advise

Thanks

I reluctantly configured the RT-N66U in the DMZ of the SKY modem.

This is my Brother-in-Law's SKY contract and didn't want to risk the wrath of my little sister by getting them blocked by SKY if I was to replace the shonky SKY modem with a cheap bridged modem using the password extract hack! ;)

DDNS update is sadly still performed by a wintel client installed on the family PC (which is usually always on)!...as this was a quick and dirty hack at the time rather than write a /JFFS/ cron script to call 'ez-dns-updater'.

OpenVPN Server running on th RT-N66U allows my Brother-in-Law to access windows share files on his home PC remotely and they can view their IP cameras.

P.S. They have no AICloud requirements so never tried it in this DMZ config.

Regards,

I reluctantly configured the RT-N66U in the DMZ of the SKY modem.

This is my Brother-in-Law's SKY contract and didn't want to risk the wrath of my little sister by getting them blocked by SKY if I was to replace the shonky SKY modem with a cheap bridged modem using the password extract hack! ;)

DDNS update is sadly still performed by a wintel client installed on the family PC (which is usually always on)!...as this was a quick and dirty hack at the time rather than write a /JFFS/ cron script to call 'ez-dns-updater'.

OpenVPN Server running on th RT-N66U allows my Brother-in-Law to access windows share files on his home PC remotely and they can view their IP cameras.

P.S. They have no AICloud requirements so never tried it in this DMZ config.

Regards,

yer the DMZ option i have tried and if i dont have it set up as an access point i have to use it other wise i will end up with NAT closed/strict issues.
The issue sounds pretty simple the DNS option trys to access the gateway ip of the asus router which is connect to the sky router so it ends up failing as its not the ip for the internet its the ip for the sky router.
i didnt know if theres a way of changing this via the routing options with which i have never used.

This isnt my first setup with sky i have done a few but never wanted to use dns functions on the secondary router, im happy to use scripts if needs be but i want to use the AICloud app which requires u to use a ASUSCOMM.COM dns address.

yer the DMZ option i have tried and if i dont have it set up as an access point i have to use it other wise i will end up with NAT closed/strict issues.
The issue sounds pretty simple the DNS option trys to access the gateway ip of the asus router which is connect to the sky router so it ends up failing as its not the ip for the internet its the ip for the sky router.
i didnt know if theres a way of changing this via the routing options with which i have never used.

This isnt my first setup with sky i have done a few but never wanted to use dns functions on the secondary router, im happy to use scripts if needs be but i want to use the AICloud app which requires u to use a ASUSCOMM.COM dns address.

I have a couple of scripts for their RT-N66U ... basically they register the current external IP address acquired by the SKY router with Unblock-us and sends an email to my brother-in-law, but I don't believe upating the Asus DDNS using the internal 'ez-dns-updater' is supported nor do I have any experience with the 'dyno-dns' service.

Regards,

I have a couple of scripts for their RT-N66U ... basically they register the current external IP address acquired by the SKY router with Unblock-us and sends an email to my brother-in-law, but I don't believe upating the Asus DDNS using the internal 'ez-dns-updater' is supported nor do I have any experience with the 'dyno-dns' service.

Regards,

Would u mind giving me a link for the scripts as they would be a great help , i'd be able to at very least access the router easier with a PC remotely

Would u mind giving me a link for the scripts as they would be a great help , i'd be able to at very least access the router easier with a PC remotely

This fragment of my script shows how 'wget' is used to identify then implictly register the SKY IP address with Unblock-us.

You may be able to adapt the technique for your requirements.....

Code:
# Save the old IP Address for a comparison if required

MY_OLDWANIPADDREXT=`cat /tmp/MYIPADDR` 

# Identify the current real external SKY I/P address 

MY_WANIPADDREXT=`wget --quiet -O - http://checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/^.*Current IP Address: //g' -e 's/<.*$//g'`

echo $MYWANIPADDRTEXT >/tmp/MYIPADDR

MYDYNDNS="xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com"

echo "Overriding "$MY_WANIPADDR" with "$MY_WANIPADDREXT" for DynDNS for "$MYDYNDNS  >>/tmp/mail.txt

logger -t "($(basename $0))" $$ Overriding DynDNS $MY_WANIPADDR "with" $MY_WANIPADDREXT

ez-ipupdate -S dyndns -uaccount:password -h $MYDYNDNS -a $MY_WANIPADDREXT

# Could use the DynDNS wget if the ez-ipupdate fails ?
#  http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname&myip=ipaddress&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG

echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt

echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Uptime is: `uptime | cut -d ',' -f1 | sed 's/^.\{12\}//g'`" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Last Session: `cat /tmp/mnt/RT-N66U/Session_UPTIME.txt`" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt

# Register the new I/P Address for Netflix access...

`wget -o /mnt/Unblock-us.log -O /mnt/Unblock-us-status --no-check-certificate https://api.unblock-us.com/login?account:password`

echo "Unblock-US account status: " `cat /tmp/mnt/RT-N66U/Unblock-us-status` >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Auto authenticate Unblock-US log:" >>/tmp/mail.txt

<snip>

Regards,

Last edited:
This fragment of my script shows how 'wget' is used to identify then implictly register the SKY IP address with Unblock-us.

You may be able to adapt the technique for your requirements.....

Code:
# Save the old IP Address for a comparison if required

MY_OLDWANIPADDREXT=`cat /tmp/MYIPADDR` 

# Identify the current real external SKY I/P address 

MY_WANIPADDREXT=`wget --quiet -O - http://checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/^.*Current IP Address: //g' -e 's/<.*$//g'`

echo $MYWANIPADDRTEXT >/tmp/MYIPADDR

MYDYNDNS="xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com"

echo "Overriding "$MY_WANIPADDR" with "$MY_WANIPADDREXT" for DynDNS for "$MYDYNDNS  >>/tmp/mail.txt

logger -t "($(basename $0))" $$ Overriding DynDNS $MY_WANIPADDR "with" $MY_WANIPADDREXT

ez-ipupdate -S dyndns -uaccount:password -h $MYDYNDNS -a $MY_WANIPADDREXT

# Could use the DynDNS wget if the ez-ipupdate fails ?
#  http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname&myip=ipaddress&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG

echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt

echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Uptime is: `uptime | cut -d ',' -f1 | sed 's/^.\{12\}//g'`" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Last Session: `cat /tmp/mnt/RT-N66U/Session_UPTIME.txt`" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt

# Register the new I/P Address for Netflix access...

`wget -o /mnt/Unblock-us.log -O /mnt/Unblock-us-status --no-check-certificate https://api.unblock-us.com/login?account:password`

echo "Unblock-US account status: " `cat /tmp/mnt/RT-N66U/Unblock-us-status` >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >>/tmp/mail.txt
echo "Auto authenticate Unblock-US log:" >>/tmp/mail.txt

<snip>

Regards,

Thanks alot dude