What's new

Network setup help please (AX88U + ??)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apprentice

Occasional Visitor
Have recently moved and got access to much faster gigabit broadband so been forced to abandon my old E4200 based dd-wrt setup

My first move was to buy an Ax88U that I have so far only set up on a very basic level for the wider family

I have then been running an E4200 with an old dd-wrt build in client mode as my personal network, which is working but just not delivering the connection speed (or stability) I want.

My idea is to buy something like an AX56U and then run that off the guest network either in bridge or media bridge mode, and create my own little subnet with something like YazFi which looks to do exactly what i want (incl run a vpn on the gues)

Would ideally also like to run Entware, and have Lighttpd and maybe MySQL and perhaps some scripts running on the non-WAN router.

Would welcome views on whether this sounds reasonable, and would also like to load up on security/adblock scripts so am very grateful for recommendations and tips for this and which router to locate stuff on.

Many thanks!

forgot to mention one other thing on my wishlist; would like to be able to forward a port to the connected secondary router I can use to access an RDP connection

No takers?

Well have ordered the AX56U now, and will simply have to hope I get better response if/when I run into problems

Partly because no one else has answered, and to give you a little bump.

I am not surprised the E4200 doesn't give adequate performance as it's relatively ancient N class tech and you are putting it on a new AX class router.

I'm no expert but I think Mysql will struggle on the AX56U due to it's lack of memory, you can probably adjust this in the mysql settings but perform well it may not.
Lighttpd has a lower mem footprint so should run ok.
Both are part of entware I believe.

For adblocking you can use Adguard which is now part of AMTM, and has a nice gui. Or diversion if you prefer, also part of AMTM. Although this would be better run on the main router and adblock for the whole network. Security wise, you can add skynet firewall, if you know how to configure a firewall, else leave it to asus in built firewall as you will give yourself problems. You can also use the Trendnet features, if you have no issues with the privacy trade off that some do. Again I would run these on the main router not the bridge as it is more powerful.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will chip in at some point.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will chip in at some point.
Many thanks, @BreakingDad! I regret the smiley emoticon I inserted at the end of last post didn't post for some reason, might have made me seem a little petulant ;-o

i also regret that I rather threw the kitchen sink in to my original post. I guess the most urgent setup question is whether I should be connecting the secondary router as a repeater or a media bridge. What i am specifically interested in is whether either of those modes restricts what else I can do or run on the secondary router (other than an ssid). Anybody have any views on that?

No takers?

As I read it, you want to add a lesser router as an attached network platform for running third-party firmware to support various add-on scripts, etc. That seems like a special project for more experienced users in the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum to critique.

OE

My idea is to buy something like an AX56U and then run that off the guest network either in bridge or media bridge mode, and create my own little subnet with something like YazFi which looks to do exactly what i want (incl run a vpn on the gues)

This router must be in Router mode and wired. There is no WISP on Asus routers. YazFi is good, but the developer moved to a different platform. Don't expect much support or updates. It may or may not work properly after Asuswrt updates. AX56U is not a great router, just the cheapest AX model with Asuswrt-Merlin support. If you want it mainly for fun and experiments - go for it.

Media Bridge is Asuswrt term of Wireless Bridge - Wi-Fi to wired bridge or just a fancier Wi-Fi adapter. There is nothing to run on it and you can't create a separate subnet. Attached devices are part of main router network, they get DHCP from the main router and are displayed as wired devices in Client List.

Media Bridge is Asuswrt term of Wireless Bridge - Wi-Fi to wired bridge or just a fancier Wi-Fi adapter. There is nothing to run on it and you can't create a separate subnet. Attached devices are part of main router network, they get DHCP from the main router and are displayed as wired devices in Client List.
Thanks very much for the clarification!

Realise I can not then run anything on the Bridged router, but my barebones plan was to use the main router guest as my private, exclusive subnet. Then load up security and ad blocking (and YazFi) there just to get me up and running, while I figure out my next move.

Would using Repeater mode give me more options or is that simply the same as Media Bridge with Wifi enabled?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!