What's new

New 86U: how to find best channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brec

Regular Contributor
For now I've arbitrarily chosen 2.4G channel 6, from 1, 6, or 11, and left 5G at auto. Merlin 284-15 firmware is installed. How do I go about finding which channels are best for my situation? The tools I have available are a Mac desktop, a Windows 10 laptop, an iPhone, and an iPad.

I'm on the Mac most of the time, but that's connected to the 86U by ethernet. My only other performance concern is streaming to my smart TV, which is in another room than the router. With my previous AC1900 router the TV had buffering delays until I installed a TP-Link RE220 extender a few feet from it. I've set the extender to take 5G from the 86U and emit 2.4G for the TV.*

*Edit: The extender is now connected to the TV by ethernet cable.

Thanks for any channel-testing help!

Last edited:
Hi, there is a software called InSSIDer from Metageek. Home version is free.
I checked mz channels with it and setup the better one.

I have concluded that using any 'app' to find the best channel is usually a waste of time. Why? Because most don't show the interactions between all AP's that are in range, nor do they (or can) predict how responsive the network will be for a given choice. Let alone the actual utilization of that channel itself.

What I look for after I do what is in the link above is check for not just top speeds possible, but also how responsive the network is too. I rarely look at the connection rates between client and router as that is implied by the performance received.

The link above indicates leaving the 'test' channel in use for a while (a day or two is ideal). This is to give the surrounding AP's enough time to move off the channel you're testing on.

Another 'anomaly' of using an 'app' on a client device is that the router and the client do not 'see' the same AP's and what is 'suggested' by the app on the client device can be diametrically opposed to what the router needs for optimum performance.

Don't forget that the router sets the network up for interaction with the surrounding AP's, not the client(s). Therefore, when choosing a channel that has weak signal from neighboring AP's, the network is usually slower than when using a channel with a stronger signal from an AP that is closer. The closer AP can communicate/sync faster with yours than the far one can. An 'app' can't show this to you or even begin to hint at it.

Of course, for learning, a utility is great to have around to see the interactions between the airspace/time contentions in your wireless environment.

For that, I can only suggest the unparalleled WinFi for Windows utility.

Avoid "Auto", choosing a channel is usually best. You'll read that over and over in this forum.

Unless you live in a deserted area it still doesn't hurt to get some idea about the neighbors and their WiFi, a straight forward simple tool for Windows 10 is "WiFi Analyzer", you find it in the Microsoft Store.
Use the tool on a laptop and walk through your house to see what neighbor signals do reach you, then at least try to avoid to use the most crowded channels.
Already mentioned: set 2.4 GHz to 20 Mhz bandwidth.
Manual set the channels in your router.
Update WiFi drivers in your PC's.
Experiment with the location of your router (shifting a meter can do miracles), a clear line of sight between the router and the clients is most ideal: do not stow the router away in a closet.

For Asus routers:
Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz
  • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable
Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

Different things will work in different environments. For example, regardless of neighbouring networks, I get the best performance using a 2.4 and 5 channel that are not completely clear of congestion and still get solid wireless performance.
  • No Smart Connect.

• 2.4 GHz band set to N only Wireless Mode, 20 MHz Bandwidth and the Control Channel as either 1, 6, or 11. I use the least congested, currently Channel 1 is performing great.

• 5 GHz set to N/AC mixed and 80 MHz. No matter what I try, I always come back to Channel 36 and see the best performance on that channel.

• For both bands, the only professional settings I have enabled are AMPDU RTS and Enable WMM, then Modulation Scheme set to match the capabilities of the band without TurboQAM, so MCS 7 (802.11n) on 2.4 GHz and MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz.

(Thanks for all the replies above!)

86U + Merlin UI question... On the Advanced Settings::Wireless::General page, with 5GHz selected, Control Channel has a drop down with choices of Auto and 18 numbers. I have Auto selected, at least right now but that's tentative. To the right of that it says, at this writing, "Current Control Channel: 112" in yellow.

Underneath there is a checkbox with yellow text, "Auto select channel including DFS channels." My few minutes of research on DFS channels indicates that 112 is one of them. What is the function of the checkbox, as it seems not to have to be checked in order for Auto to yield a DFS channel?

I have always selected auto and not had any issues (going to put on my flak jacket to protect myself from all the arrows being launched)

(Thanks for all the replies above!)

86U + Merlin UI question... On the Advanced Settings::Wireless::General page, with 5GHz selected, Control Channel has a drop down with choices of Auto and 18 numbers. I have Auto selected, at least right now but that's tentative. To the right of that it says, at this writing, "Current Control Channel: 112" in yellow.

Underneath there is a checkbox with yellow text, "Auto select channel including DFS channels." My few minutes of research on DFS channels indicates that 112 is one of them. What is the function of the checkbox, as it seems not to have to be checked in order for Auto to yield a DFS channel?
I can't talk about the RT-AC86U, but to my surprise I now see that the DFS checkbox is gone at my RT-AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20630.
Probably Asus found it didn't add value :)

Of course, for learning, a utility is great to have around to see the interactions between the airspace/time contentions in your wireless environment.

For that, I can only suggest the unparalleled WinFi for Windows utility.

Just downloaded this utility, its amazing! The level of useful information you get is very comprehensive.

I now have uninstalled the 'apps' I used to use.

Just downloaded this utility, its amazing! The level of useful information you get is very comprehensive.

I now have uninstalled the 'apps' I used to use.
Is there an app similar so I can add it to my chromebook?

@keefrto, no. Nothing else comes close, particularly for 'free'.