What's new

“New” ASUS 2022 Features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

Please move if not in the right place - but saw this page is now being advertised by ASUS showcasing the “new” features coming in 2022.

Will @RMerlin also be supporting these?

Please move if not in the right place - but saw this page is now being advertised by ASUS showcasing the “new” features coming in 2022.

Will @RMerlin also be supporting these?

DNS over TLS is already supported.
Auto firmware update probably not as Merlin seems more based around people actually reading the release notes and knowing what they're getting into.
Safe browsing/security scan/instant guard all sound like something that'd be bundled with AI Protect, so maybe...

Note the fine print at the bottom of the ASUSWRT 2022 link:

* ASUSWRT 2022 Supported models:

ZenWiFi XT9

RT-AX88U

RT-AX86U

RT-AX86U Pro

RT-AXE7800

Note the fine print at the bottom of the ASUSWRT 2022 link:

* ASUSWRT 2022 Supported models:

ZenWiFi XT9

RT-AX88U

RT-AX86U

RT-AX86U Pro

RT-AXE7800
I would read that to mean CURRENTLY supported models. They released quite a bit of hardware that's AX, and AXE stuff is trickling out now too...
I'm most curious as to whether the last AC stuff will be supported- my AC86 still has plenty of life left to it, even if my mobile devices (and a laptop) are wifi6 enabled

Auto firmware update probably not as Merlin seems more based around people actually reading the release notes and knowing what they're getting into.
This is really missing feature for myself from great RMerlin builds. I guess users can decide if they want auto-update for stable version or even beta

This is really missing feature for myself from great RMerlin builds. I guess users can decide if they want auto-update for stable version or even beta
Personally I can't think of anything worse than automated firmware upgrades! Notifications of upgrades available (even regular reminders) yes but not installation.

Firmware upgrade is a very intrusive activity and while RMerlin does a fantastic job providing enhanced network stability, the flexibility of the firmware and addons (remember many of those need updating ad a result of firmware changes so that's something else you're dependent on - automated firmware update breaking yaz-fi would take out a bunch of home wifis) means he has far less control of the device being updated to be certain of the end result. That's why ISPs that do automated firmware updates lockdown their devices so heavily.

I can just see the number of posts now of "my router updated and now my network is broken - but I'm not sure what add-ons I have or when they were updated"...

It's like arguing which is better Coca or Pepsi. Almost all my other 100 devices including ISP cable modem, ASUS and Netgear equipment, media players, TVs, soundbars, IoT devices and so on have this option and its up to user decide if they want it or not. Nothing wrong with this option and you can disable it any time

It's like arguing which is better Coca or Pepsi. Almost all my other 100 devices including ISP cable modem, ASUS and Netgear equipment, media players, TVs, soundbars, IoT devices and so on have this option and its up to user decide if they want it or not. Nothing wrong with this option and you can disable it any time
I don't disagree with automated upgrades entirely although some of your examples are controlled push as part of a managed service (ISPs doing modem upgrades in a phased manner to control the risk) rather than blind automated pull as Asus updates would be. (Assuming RMerlin doesn't fancy shifting from providing a take it or leave it firmware enhancement to a managed service provider.)

For me it comes down to the risk of an automated unattended upgrade failing and the impact of the failure.

Sonos speakers are a great example where it would be good. (Ignoring for a minute their history of deciding to not support a device and bricking it on a certain version.) It's heavily locked down so very likely to work and the worst that can happen is a device can't play music.

The merlin firmware (rather than Asus stock) isn't locked down (by design) so the ability for the firmware originator to guarantee success is severely compromised. The impact (loss of Internet access, inability to work, smart lights not working, doorbells broken etc) much more immediately felt to a wider audience.

That said, if any introduction of automated upgrades is opt-in rather than opt-out I suspect we're both happy.

Has 388.x firmware been released for the GT-AX6000?

Not even available for the GT-AXE16000 yet. This router is a real option for me, but without 388.x I won’t even consider it.

Has 388.x firmware been released for the GT-AX6000?

Not even available for the GT-AXE16000 yet. This router is a real option for me, but without 388.x I won’t even consider it.
Still 386 by the looks of it.

If the 6000 supports 388 i'll be buying it. If not I might just stick with the AX86

Does anyone know if this 2022 release supports the DNS Filter option or is that feature exclusive to Merlin builds?

DNSFilter (on Merlin) is the option that allows the user to choose different DNS for different clients and also provided an option to force all DNS traffic through the router.

Does anyone know if this 2022 release supports the DNS Filter option or is that feature exclusive to Merlin builds?

DNSFilter (on Merlin) is the option that allows the user to choose different DNS for different clients and also provided an option to force all DNS traffic through the router.
Maybe, but with a different name.

I think there was some trademark/copyright issue with the name DNS Filter and the DNS provider of the same name.

Yes, you can definitely specify DNS per client.

Not something I use, so not an expert.

Yes, you can definitely specify DNS per client.

Not something I use, so not an expert.
No, no DNS Filter yet. You could always assign a DNS resolver to a client in the Manually Assign IP Address area.

There is a sort of DNS Filter if you use the app. You can assign Safe Browsing categories in the ASUS Router phone App, which alters the IP tables to use specific DNS for the devices using 'Safe Browsing'. Not quite the same or as elegant.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!