What's new

Solved New Asus GT-AX6000 does not receive public IP from ISP via DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nextedoff

Occasional Visitor
Good afternoon guys, I've just bought a new router - Asus GT-AX6000 and I have an issue that my Asus router cannot get IP via DHCP and says:
ISP’s DHCP doesn’t function properly
I have tried setting modem to router mode and it works just fine in there, it receives IP address, even though it is not ISP modem.

My current setup is:
1) DrayTek Vigor 167 35b supervectoring VDSL2 Modem in bridge mode
2) Asus ROG GT-AX6000 as a router.

P.S. yes, LAN1 in modem is connected to WAN in router and I do not use ISP modem, because it does not have bridge mode, works only in router/modem mode.

Basically, I've been playing around with DrayTek router and it works just fine, because with the latest firmware it has "router mode" which worked perfectly with my internet. The only thing I needed to change it is disabling VLAN tagging (Customer Tag and Service Tag) and received the public IP address via DHCP.
After setting the modem into modem mode(bridge mode) I connect it to Asus router and when it receives DSL connection, I plug it into Asus router and boot it up.

What I have tried so far:
1) Rebooting router, or rebooting modem and then starting router.
2) Replacing internet cables.
3) Tried resetting both router and modem to factory settings.
4) Changed DHCP query frequency from "Aggressive mode" to "Normal mode" and "Continuous mode"
5) "MAC clone" even though I am not sure that I need it, because both ISP modem and DrayTek Vigor 167 work fine with different MAC addresses.

If anyone has any ideas would be glad to hear them, because for most people on the internet "MAC clone" or changing DHCP query frequency modes worked. But the majority of people had a "disappearing internet issue" while my brand new router does not connect from the very beginning.

MY SOLUTION:
For anyone looking in the future for the same issue. My solution was quite simple.
1) Update to the latest firmware, at the moment of writing 3.0.0.4.386.48377
2) Hard reset router via button in the back

And in case someone looking for information about DrayTek Vigor 167 with Asus router - it simply works.

My issue was that I hard reset the router on the stock firmware and it never worked. It is either that or it magically started to get WAN IP after midnight.

Last edited:
Good afternoon guys, I've just bought a new router - Asus GT-AX6000 and I have an issue that my Asus router cannot get IP via DHCP and says: "ISP’s DHCP doesn’t function properly". I have tried setting modem to router mode and it works just fine in there, it receives IP address, even though it is not ISP modem.

My current setup is:
1) DrayTek Vigor 167 35b supervectoring VDSL2 Modem in bridge mode
2) Asus ROG GT-AX6000 as a router.

P.S. yes, LAN1 in modem is connected to WAN in router and I do not use ISP modem, because it does not have bridge mode, works only in router/modem mode.

Basically, I've been playing around with DrayTek router and it works just fine, because with the latest firmware it has "router mode" which worked perfectly with my internet. The only thing I needed to change it is disabling VLAN tagging (Customer Tag and Service Tag) and received the public IP address via DHCP.
After setting the modem into modem mode(bridge mode) I connect it to Asus router and when it receives DSL connection, I plug it into Asus router and boot it up.

What I have tried so far:
1) Rebooting router, or rebooting modem and then starting router.
2) Replacing internet cables.
3) Tried resetting both router and modem to factory settings.
4) Changed DHCP query frequency from "Aggressive mode" to "Normal mode" and "Continuous mode"
5) "MAC clone" even though I am not sure that I need it, because both ISP modem and DrayTek Vigor 167 work fine with different MAC addresses.

If anyone has any ideas would be glad to hear them, because for most people on the internet "MAC clone" or changing DHCP query frequency modes worked. But the majority of people had a "disappearing internet issue" while my brand new router does not connect from the very beginning.
I may be wrong but I think that your Draytek cannot hand in IP address in bridge "modem" mode and you will need to set your Asus to PPPoE mode instead to get the WAN IP directly from your ISP as a result.

I may be wrong but I think that your Draytek cannot hand in IP address in bridge "modem" mode and you will need to set your Asus to PPPoE mode instead to get the WAN IP directly from your ISP as a result.
I might be wrong too, but why do I need to set Asus to PPPoE authentication type, if my ISP uses DHCP (automatic IP assignment). As far as I am concerned in "bridge mode" the DrayTek modem just converts DSL line into internet and the IP should be received from ISP via DHCP on Asus router.

I might be wrong too, but why do I need to set Asus to PPPoE authentication type, if my ISP uses DHCP (automatic IP assignment). As far as I am concerned in "bridge mode" the DrayTek modem just converts DSL line into internet and the IP should be received from ISP via DHCP on Asus router.
Isn't it the case that the Draytek in bridge mode will pass PPPoE on to your Asus and hence the need to authenticate your credentials there? I am sorry if I am talking gibberish here but I am not an expert. Is it worth you trying it? I have also just received my GT-AX6000 yesterday and my god, this thing is a beast. Just needs the magical Merlin touch...

Isn't it the case that the Draytek in bridge mode will pass PPPoE on to your Asus and hence the need to authenticate your credentials there? I am sorry if I am talking gibberish here but I am not an expert. Is it worth you trying it? I have also just received my GT-AX6000 yesterday and my god, this thing is a beast. Just needs the magical Merlin touch...
Ah nope, probably just your ISP provides internet with PPPoE authentication type, my ISP uses DHCP(Automatic IP)

In this case you may have to clone your ISP device MAC address. Otherwise how your ISP will know this Asus router is yours?

In this case you may have to clone your ISP device MAC address. Otherwise how your ISP will know this Asus router is yours?
That's the thing, if I run DrayTek Vigor 167 in router mode (which does the authentication stuff with ISP) without spoofing MAC address to ISP's device's one it works perfectly, it receives public IP from ISP. So my ISP does not pay attention to MAC address of the device.

Find what your ISP needs and do it on your Asus router, if possible.
The ISP does not have special requirements for DHCP connection, just some basic stuff. DHCP, no VLAN tagging and that's it. Because I made it work on DrayTek in router mode. On Asus it should work, theoretically without any special setup. But I tried different combinations of settings on Asus and still no luck... :(

How do you authenticate on your ISP network? How do they know it’s you?
So basically I receive my IP assigned via DHCP. How do they know that I paid and how do they enable the service? I believe they somehow see what line goes exactly to my house:
the ISP's end (the DSLAM) knows exactly which line or circuit you're on and inserts that information into your router's DHCP requests passing through it. (You can search for the term "option 82".)
Taken from here

So basically I receive my IP assigned via DHCP. How do they know that I paid and how do they enable the service? I believe they somehow see what line goes exactly to my house:

Taken from here
They might bind it to MAC adress on the router, so even if you bypass from modem to router it still needs a new mac adress. You can try to release the DHCP and then change to bridge mode or wait untill it gets released. It can take up to one day, I would call the ISP to check if this is the case if it struggles for you.

They might bind it to MAC adress on the router, so even if you bypass from modem to router it still needs a new mac adress. You can try to release the DHCP and then change to bridge mode or wait untill it gets released. It can take up to one day, I would call the ISP to check if this is the case if it struggles for you.
But the thing is, that I have two DSL modems/routers. I am switching them with time difference of 15 minutes and they work, with different MAC addresses. So what would be so different about binding router's MAC address instead?

But the thing is, that I have two DSL modems/routers. I am switching them with time difference of 15 minutes and they work, with different MAC addresses. So what would be so different about binding router's MAC address instead?
I guess you can exclude the MAC adress theory then. But if you can, call your ISP and ask them.

I guess you can exclude the MAC adress theory then. But if you can, call your ISP and ask them.
Will try to call them tomorrow, but have very little hope as they are not very helpful from my past experience.
By the way, I've got a theory that modem and router are two devices, so ISP sees two devices and does not allow to work both at the same time, which is stupid but could also be. You can read my edit in the bottom in main post ^^

Will try to call them tomorrow, but have very little hope as they are not very helpful from my past experience.
By the way, I've got a theory that modem and router are two devices, so ISP sees two devices and does not allow to work both at the same time, which is stupid but could also be. You can read my edit in the bottom in main post ^^
Do you have any login/password setup in your modem? Except for the login to the admin page, im thinking of PPoE

Do you have any login/password setup in your modem? Except for the login to the admin page, im thinking of PPoE
Nah, it's definitely DHCP connection, not PPPoE or PPPoA, because I made it work on 3rd party modem.

By the way, I do not know what happened but I fixed it, kind of. (Probably)
What I did is I reset the router to factory settings for the fourth time. Then I connected my modem to another DSL point in my house. Internet speed dropped in the modem from 150mbps to 20mbps (I do not know why yet). Router connects via DHCP fine now. So it was either a firmware bug or DSL entry point? Which sounds stupid. Will test tomorrow and fill up the results.

P.S. The internet speed drop is very strange, could be something from ISP side, because now modem is connected to the entry point to the house, so internet speed should be higher, not 5 times lower.

Nah, it's definitely DHCP connection, not PPPoE or PPPoA, because I made it work on 3rd party modem.

By the way, I do not know what happened but I fixed it, kind of. (Probably)
What I did is I reset the router to factory settings for the fourth time. Then I connected my modem to another DSL point in my house. Internet speed dropped in the modem from 150mbps to 20mbps (I do not know why yet). Router connects via DHCP fine now. So it was either a firmware bug or DSL entry point? Which sounds stupid. Will test tomorrow and fill up the results.

P.S. The internet speed drop is very strange, could be something from ISP side, because now modem is connected to the entry point to the house, so internet speed should be higher, not 5 times lower.
I dont know. I once had a DSL connection with PPoE and when i used the router, even though i got DHCP from ISP i still needed the PPoE, both for modem and router. But since you had a 3rd party modem i don't know what.

Glad you got DHCP to work, why the speed is what it is i dont know either. I think you need to sort this out with the ISP.

For anyone looking in the future for the same issue. My solution was quite simple.
1) Update to the latest firmware, at the moment of writing 3.0.0.4.386.48377
2) Hard reset router via button in the back

And in case someone looking for information about DrayTek Vigor 167 with Asus router - it simply works.

My issue was that I hard reset the router on the stock firmware and it never worked. It is either that or it magically started to get WAN IP after midnight.