What's new

NEW ASUS RT-AC86U / RT AC2900 - 17th June Firmware v.3.0.0.4.384_81930 (17.06.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

Just grabbed the new firmware via the web router UI this morning. So far no issues...running the AC86U in AiMesh mode. Will post release notes shortly.

06172020-86-U.jpg

Judging by the numbering scheme - It seems it's just a small incremental update.

But 384.81918 was a wee bit unstable on the wireless backhaul for my two routers, so I just took the chance to see if this one is as stable as Versjon 3.0.0.4.384.81858 from early May that was rock solid for me.

The frequency of pushing updates improved thats a good sign but a lot of work need to be done to improve stability as well.
The last couple of Asus firmwares for the AC86U have been very stable for me. In fact, I went to Merlin 384.18 alpha for a couple of days and felt that, for some reason, I was getting better performance from stock Asus. So, back to stock.Was surprised to get the update for 384-81930 this morning as I was flashing 384-81918! New version working very well!

I was experiencing frequent disconnections on 5G band (and only 5G) with 3.0.0.4.384.81918 (I've had to downgrade to 81858 and the issue disappeared).

Would be happy to know if someone is experiencing similar issues with this new firmware, as I don't see anything about that in release notes.

another one already o_O. I'll update now, I hope it's as good as the last two.

I was experiencing frequent disconnections on 5G band (and only 5G) with 3.0.0.4.384.81918 (I've had to downgrade to 81858 and the issue disappeared).

Would be happy to know if someone is experiencing similar issues with this new firmware, as I don't see anything about that in release notes.

No issues after updating last night....solid as 81918

Last edited:

Best advice /suggestion is after 2 hard resets to make the following settings manual and confirm no issues after.
Adjust to your best local environment after scanning with a proper app (control channel)

1yO5y6P.png

JbSTnTX.png

Last edited:
Adjust to your best local environment after scanning with a proper app (control channel)

As in use 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz.

OE

@Dr.No.pt using Wireless modes other than 'Auto' for both bands, 40MHz bandwidth on the 2.4GHz band, and a control channel other than 1, 6, or 11 on the 2.4GHz band is asking for trouble, sooner or later.

Recommended: 'Auto' Wireless Mode for both bands. 20MHz Bandwidth and only Control Channels 1, 6, 0r 11 for the 2.4GHz band for maximum stability and reliability of the wireless network.

well folks, this may be a personal problem as i need to do some digging but my wired desktop which usually hits 200+ mbps and my old thinkpad which floats between 60 - 95 on the 2ghz radio are now barely hitting 25!

did all the usual resets etc, but will likely have to revert back to good ole 918. i was leery about upgrading since the changes in the release notes would not have affected me. hell, i can't even "see" the 5 ghz band on my laptop - talk about weird. still, my 5g devices are streaming fine though.

hell, since i neglected to speedtest before upgrading, i have no current baseline. i should know better having been in the industry for 40 yrs. talk about gettin' slack.

so just posting in case some others may be scratching their head as well. fwiw, made no changes and i run nas at 3.0 and have different ssids for each radio. 11 devices are static and y'all will love this but the 86u is the last device on a dual-nat. don't beat me, been doin it for over 10 yrs now but i'm sure folks will have fun with that revelation.

peace guys and stay safe.

UPDATE:
just before reverting, i did another test. i also tried yet a 3rd server on speedtest and voila, we're back to our normal speeds! whew! so many variables these days. the previous servers must be bogged down cause they are very slow.

Last edited:
more than 24 hours now after another dirty (which makes it two now) update and it's smooth sailing.

Are you folks seeing the, "^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when ..." log entry with this firmware?

hell, since i neglected to speedtest before upgrading, i have no current baseline. i should know better having been in the industry for 40 yrs. talk about gettin' slack.

UPDATE:
just before reverting, i did another test. i also tried yet a 3rd server on speedtest and voila, we're back to our normal speeds! whew! so many variables these days. the previous servers must be bogged down cause they are very slow.

<lol>