What's new

NEW ASUS RT-AC86U / RT AC2900 - 17th June Firmware v.3.0.0.4.384_81930 (17.06.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are there any firmwares or routers that don't do this?

Im very sensitive to any king of input lag/delay. And i was always right never wrong when i felt smth is off. Not a single time was i wrong.

And considering price of this router i thought its impossible to experience smth like this in 21st century. I bet its either hardware that is defective and its design or factory defect or firmware that is crap. Always something pops out of the blue. I had 3 routers in my life and the simplest cheapest ones are the best. You put it and forget it exist here i could buy 10 normal routers for price of this one and its beyond my imagination with all problems that occur from time to time. Unacceptable thats why i will never buy asus router and wont advertise it to others. I will keep fighting with this model and if i get better internet and things wont improve ill try to sell it. Its clearly router fault when connection drops or slowdown happens because it widely reported by other users as well so its not like you can blame it on bad connection.

Im very sensitive to any king of input lag/delay. And i was always right never wrong when i felt smth is off. Not a single time was i wrong.

And considering price of this router i thought its impossible to experience smth like this in 21st century. I bet its either hardware that is defective and its design or factory defect or firmware that is crap. Always something pops out of the blue. I had 3 routers in my life and the simplest cheapest ones are the best. You put it and forget it exist here i could buy 10 normal routers for price of this one and its beyond my imagination with all problems that occur from time to time. Unacceptable thats why i will never buy asus router and wont advertise it to others. I will keep fighting with this model and if i get better internet and things wont improve ill try to sell it. Its clearly router fault when connection drops or slowdown happens because it widely reported by other users as well so its not like you can blame it on bad connection.

You didn't quite answer the two questions. I'm going to expand on the second question. Now its actually three questions. I'm not trying to blame the connection.
  • Have there been any AC86U firmwares where this issue was not observed?
  • Have there been any other routers where this issue was not observed?
    • if yes, when was the last time this router was tried?

Its clearly router fault when connection drops or slowdown happens because it widely reported by other users as well so its not like you can blame it on bad connection.

If your router is clearly defective, then get a different router... it may fix the constant ping and speed issues you experience over your 2.5 Mbps Internet connection.

OE

For the speed you are getting why even bother with an 86u ? It's way overkill for your internet speed.

For the speed you are getting why even bother with an 86u ? It's way overkill for your internet speed.

The normal tendency is to buy up, to buy the best, with the expectation and hope that this will improve the user experience.

OE

The normal tendency is to buy up, to buy the best, with the expectation and hope that this will improve the user experience.

OE

To answer your previous post

a) Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.45713-17 seemed to not have slowdown issues and somewhat ping issues were smaller but other firmwares have its problems.
b) All other routers ive had were simpler than 2+2 which means connect and find out after 2 years that it would be nice to upgrade or when it broke down

I bought it because i thought its future proof and i wanted to forget about changing router in next x years also i login here from time to time now when there is a need for example new firmware or when there is a problem. Right now i wont blame my unit because my internet is to blame too when it comes to jumping ping but once ill get normal fibre connection then ill sort that out. But bandwith slowdown is for sure router problem and i dont remember it happening before its since few previous releases.

I used to think the same thing.

I have a fragile 2.5 Mbps ADSL service that used to slow down and lose WAN frequently. I had a cheap AC router and decided to try a better one, the RT-AC86U. It somehow manages my connection much better and eliminated almost all of the problems I had.

Just recently, I was noticing more and more similar problems, and finally followed the advice given here, to factory reset the router for the first time since new (2 years) after loading the latest firmware. Smooth sailing again.

I used to think the same thing.

I have a fragile 2.5 Mbps ADSL service that used to slow down and lose WAN frequently. I had a cheap AC router and decided to try a better one, the RT-AC86U. It somehow manages my connection much better and eliminated almost all of the problems I had.

Just recently, I was noticing more and more similar problems, and finally followed the advice given here, to factory reset the router for the first time since new (2 years) after loading the latest firmware. Smooth sailing again.

Yeah, an 86U is not going to hurt, only help, but it won't fix poor quality Internet service and/or shoddy provisioning/cabling to the router.

OE

Last edited:
Yeah, an 86U is not going to hurt, only help, but it won't fix poor quality Internet service and/or shoddy provisioning/cabling to the router.

OE
Agreed, but the main point is that a more premium router is worth the expense, even on a low speed ADSL line. It helps reduce a lot of problems, and can eliminate some variables in troubleshooting bad internet service.

The greatest differences in usability I've seen have been from using a 'premium' router on the lowest-end ISPs possible.

This is assuming, always, the ISP's service and modem/hardware are operating as well as they possibly can, of course.

The marked improvement in much lower latency, particularly loaded latency, availability of QoS on the 'premium' router vs. the one that was previously in use and in many cases, almost a doubling of the peak speeds possible (on Satellite and cable connections) is a testament to using 'premium' routers as much as possible and not opt for the $40 Walmart special of the week.

A premium router is not just about getting fast/faster speeds from the best ISP connections available. It is also about the total experience of the network and in that respect, can make even an entry-level ISP connection feel 10x to 100x more usable.

For reference, 'premium' here starts at the RT-AC68U and higher and the entry-level ISP speeds start at 1.5Mbps down and 256Kbps up. It ends only when the budget does too. :)

To answer your previous post

a) Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.45713-17 seemed to not have slowdown issues and somewhat ping issues were smaller but other firmwares have its problems.
b) All other routers ive had were simpler than 2+2 which means connect and find out after 2 years that it would be nice to upgrade or when it broke down

If you flash back to 45713, does the speed reduction issue go away? Note that if you flash back from 81930, you'll have to do a factory reset after installing 45713.

If you flash back to 45713, does the speed reduction issue go away? Note that if you flash back from 81930, you'll have to do a factory reset after installing 45713.

No i did not see slowdown on mentioned firmwares 13-17 but right now i feel like the slowdown started with newest ones and first versions had this kind of delayed feeling after few hours of usage then they updated it and now it seems to happen after few days not hours . Its like problem is there but the time before it shows up is longer.

No i did not see slowdown on mentioned firmwares 13-17 but right now i feel like the slowdown started with newest ones and first versions had this kind of delayed feeling after few hours of usage then they updated it and now it seems to happen after few days not hours . Its like problem is there but the time before it shows up is longer.

It seems odd that your network reports ping and now speed issues with nearly all firmware releases.

I'd try a different router.

OE

It seems odd that your network reports ping and now speed issues with nearly all firmware releases.

I'd try a different router.

OE

First other routers are rock solid and second its not only me but multiple other people too clearly either hardware or streight up firmware is buggy.

First other routers are rock solid and second its not only me but multiple other people too clearly either hardware or streight up firmware is buggy.

OK, so use a different router. Why put up with this trouble for so long.

OE

OK, so use a different router. Why put up with this trouble for so long.

OE

I mean i post to show bugs so they can fix them . You post to tell me to change router which can be considered spam. I think its waste of time to talk to some people.

Either hardware /firmware is bugged and thats the problem that should be fixed in the first place. Many reports of this behaviour.

I wont be changing router and ill try to ignore spam because its counterproductive. Ill keep my job of monitoring how router works and when next firmware ( hopefully more bug fixes) pops up ima report how it works.

I mean i post to show bugs so they can fix them . You post to tell me to change router which can be considered spam. I think its waste of time to talk to some people.

Either hardware /firmware is bugged and thats the problem that should be fixed in the first place. Many reports of this behaviour.

I wont be changing router and ill try to ignore spam because its counterproductive. Ill keep my job of monitoring how router works and when next firmware ( hopefully more bug fixes) pops up ima report how it works.

You should report 'bugs' directly to Asus, not here, if you want Asus to see them.

Your ping and speed issues are not "widely reported" by other users here.

OE

Not to be disrespectul but I agree.
If I don't like a product, I return it, I dump it. I buy something else that makes me feel better.
In my experience Asus routers give me most satisfaction and the RT-AC86U is my best router yet.
My use case is simple, around 32 clients, most on Ethernet and some on 2.4Ghz and 5GHz.
Will I get the RT-AX86U once its available? Sure, too much fun not to try :)

I mean i post to show bugs so they can fix them .

Asus doesn't actively monitor these forums. You'll have to use the Feedback form to submit your reports.