What's new

New Asus XT9, Synology Backupblaze not working. Firewall issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billrouter

Occasional Visitor
I just switched over from Netgear to Asus XT9. I see that my hyperbackup jobs on my synology NAS are not working.

The error says the connection to BackBlaze is timing out. Nothing else has changed other than the router and all has worked for a long time.

Do I need to add an exclusion to the ASUS firewall settings to allow Backupblaze to work?

Thx!

Last edited:
I've never heard of BackupBlaze (is that something to do with BackBlaze?) so don't know how it works. But is it linked to your public IP address in any way? When you changed your router your public IP address probably changed.

yes, I meant BackBlaze. AFAIK, BackBlaze relies on HyperBackup reaching out to it not vice versa. So I don't think my Spectrum assigned IP matters and it's probably changed before. And I've never made my Nas visible to the internet such as with remote access.

AFAIK, BackBlaze relies on HyperBackup reaching out to it not vice versa. So I don't think my Spectrum assigned IP matters and it's probably changed before.
I can't see this being a firewall issue as all outgoing connections are allowed. The only excerption I can think of is if you have enabled AiProtection and it thinks there's something malicious happening. That would show up in the AIProtection logs. Does HyperBackup have any detailed logs that might provide more information?

HyperBackup doesn't seem to have any details in the logs just that the connection times out and that the backblaze service appears offline.

The generic synology error logs basically say the internet connection from the synology is broken. However I can do things like check for updates and new versions of packages. So there is some connectivity.

I disabled some portions of AIProtection but not all and so far no luck. I guess I'll try all but it seems like it would make more sense for there to be a specific firewall rule somewhere. I just am not sure how to set that up.

As I said, there are no restrictions on outgoing connections in the router's firewall so the problem lies elsewhere.

Do the logs say what IP address or URL it is that's timing out? Does the data transfer start at all or does it not connect at all?

Is the anything else configured on the router that's not the default, e.g. VPN, custom DNS, etc?

Last edited:
As I said, there are no restrictions on outgoing connections in the router's firewall so the problem lies elsewhere.

Do the logs say what IP address or URL it is that's timing out? Does the data transfer start at all or does it not connect at all?

Is the anything else configured on the router that's not the default, e.g. VPN, custom DNS, etc?
Nope. Nothing configured out of the ordinary.

I do know the endpoint for backblaze. That's needed to setup hyperbackup. Although the log doesn't mention any end point specifically. But the URL is setup for my specific account/bucket.

The only thing that's changed in months is the swap of Orbi for Asus.

Is it something like s3.us-west-002.backblazeb2.com

Login to the router over SSH and just run this command and see if you get the same output I got (confirm you can reach the endpoint).

Code:
curl https://s3.us-west-002.backblazeb2.com/
My output:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Unauthenticated requests are not allowed for this api</Message>
</Error>

Any other suggestions? I tried creating a new hyperbackup job from scratch and that also doesn't work. It can't connect to the end point.

I don't know anything about Synology NAS's but is there a CLI you can access and do the same curl (or wget) test as before, just to confirm the connectivity.