What's new

New DNS List and Quad9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I find the Quad9 entries in the new DNS List to be a bit misleading...

1658422020775.png

1658422064767.png

The first one (recommended by Quad9) is labeled "Safe", has a description about safety, and has a dedicated link to ASUS and Quad9 Safe DNS Service.

The second one is labeled "Privacy-respecting", has a description about privacy, and has a dedicated link to Quad9 and ASUS Private DNS Service.

As I understand them, the ONLY difference in service is that the second one is ECS-enabled, which allows some end-user IP address data privacy "leakage" to improve routing. Given that, the second one is less private and no less safe than the first one. Both offer the same threat blocking/security/safety.

I think ASUS should clean this up.

OE

I find the Quad9 entries in the new DNS List to be a bit misleading...

View attachment 42969

View attachment 42970

The first one (recommended by Quad9) is labeled "Safe", has a description about safety, and has a dedicated link to ASUS and Quad9 Safe DNS Service.

The second one is labeled "Privacy-respecting", has a description about privacy, and has a dedicated link to Quad9 and ASUS Private DNS Service.

As I understand them, the ONLY difference in service is that the second one is ECS-enabled, which allows some end-user IP address data privacy "leakage" to improve routing. Given that, the second one is less private and no less safe than the first one. Both offer the same threat blocking/security/safety.

I think ASUS should clean this up.

OE
It would actually make more sense flipped. 9.9.9.11 is secure, but some people don't want ECS due to privacy. The other thing is not all servers work with ECS. I had to contact Quad9 because my bank's website wasn't working properly and it turned out that it was incompatible with ECS (the banks fault). And this was a BIG bank, not a small player. So more info would actually be useful to people.

It would actually make more sense flipped. 9.9.9.11 is secure, but some people don't want ECS due to privacy. The other thing is not all servers work with ECS. I had to contact Quad9 because my bank's website wasn't working properly and it turned out that it was incompatible with ECS (the banks fault). And this was a BIG bank, not a small player. So more info would actually be useful to people.

I conclude that both options are equally safe in regard to threat blocking.

If you equate security to privacy, the second one is less secure.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!