What's new

New GB house cabling showing 100 Mbps on Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

al2813

Occasional Visitor
I recently had my house Ethernet cabling redone. My cabling runs from my main switch in my ground floor office sitting next to my Internet router. From there I have one cat6 cable running to my living room GB switch. This one shows a GB connection on the second switch (green light). A second cat6 cable runs to the first floor where it terminates in a cat6 wall outlet. From the outlet I have a short Cat6 cable to a third GB switch. This cable shows an amber light on the switch indicating a 10/100 connection.

Both cables are identical CAT6 with identical crimped CAT6 connectors. There are two differences: The wall outlet termination and the length which is much bigger for the first floor one (it is about 30-35 meters compared to about 5 meters for the living room one). Today I did a speedtest with my laptop connected to the first floor switch and it does show the full 200/10 Mbps internet connection I have. Is it possible that the length of the cable "confuses" the switch, or maybe it's my wall outlet ( https://www.digitus.info/en/product.../wall-outlets-lsa-connection/cat-6/dn-9006-n/ )? How can I test the real LAN connection speed I have?

Did the contractor that did your install guarantee their work? If yes have them come check it out.

1. In the meantime take the short jumper cable and the switch from your second floor and plug them directly into your first floor switch. If the connection then tests as gigabit Ethernet then the run to the second floor needs to be fixed. If it tests just as Fast Ethernet it is probably the jumper.

2. You can also use a simple cable tester on your jumper and the run to the second floor to verify that all eight pins are terminated correctly. The tester should cost less than US $10 and will only verify pinning and connectivity it will not tell you if the cable will pass 1000 Mbps but any decent cable with good terminations of all eight pins should pass 1000 Mbps as long as it is no longer than 100 meters.

Some switches can also check your cabling for you and diagnose faults and location.

One of my cables is only running at 100 Mbps (fortunately it's not at all important) because I nicked the jacket while pulling. Still need to go re-pull it, actually ... sounds like a good project for tonight.

Any CAT cables running near/next to 110/220v lines can pick up enough noise that will cause the switch to fall back to 10/100.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!