What's new

New Guy Need Help! My speed has dropped from 1g to 40mb. ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hunt2live

New Around Here
I have Comcast Xfinity supposed to be 1200 down, 40 up. I used to average always anytime of day 850 to 900. Now I'm getting 40 both ways when hardwired or wireless into my Asus RT-AX86U, with SB8200 modem. I've reset both modem and router. Comcast now states my modem isn't on there list. Should I buy a new modem or what? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I have never been in a forum before so if I accidentally make someone mad I'm saying sorry now and please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks again,
hunt2live

1. you should log on SB8200 modem and check each line connection - check internet line that come to your home quality.
2. replace internet cable between modem and router (if for example 4 lines are damages you will achieve 10-100Mbit)
3. RT-AX86U will not handle 1Gbit w/o NAT acceleration if you have even one of features enabled: Bandwidth Limiter, Traditional/Cake QoS, Guest Network - Bandwidth Limiter your speed will be limited below 300Mbit

Welcome to the forums @hunt2live.

In addition to what the above member suggests, try connecting your computer directly to the SB8200 and see what your speeds are, then report back.

I honestly haven't been on my personal laptop so I didn't realize anything. But I've been reading through and I to received a message I believe last month when I paid the cable bill through the app that Comcast would be working in my area and the internet would be interrupted. I'm disabled now and I live with my parents and we made them run a new line into the house just this past March or April. Anyway my mother's computer finally kicked the bucket so I was in the process of setting up and older laptop I have and that's when I saw the speed. I used to work on computers and stuff way back Gateway days I even got to meet some of the head people and tour the plant, but as far as networking I'm lost. Also the last seizure affected me pretty bad as far as my memory on top of a back surgery gone wrong. And before I forget in my area now my modem is not But no cables, no settings or anything were ever changed. So I did do the basic reset the modem

Thank you L&D,
I will, like I said I've never been in a forum and don't want to make enemies, by saying or beinging the wrong place. It might take me a few days I've got to recover from the extra activity I've been doing.