What's new

Review New In the Charts: ASUS RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Product Review

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
ASUS RT-AX88U
ASUS' RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual Band 802.11ax WiFi Router has been tested and added to SmallNetBuilder's Wi-Fi Router Charts. While it uses the same Broadcom four-stream 5 GHz radio SoC, the AX88U's throughput performance lags behind the less-expensive RT-AX86U. Check the Wi-Fi Router Charts for more details.

ASUS RT-AX866U vs. RT-AX88U 5 GHz RvR

Last edited:
Yes, like I've mentioned multiple times, this can be 'felt' when switching between these two.

Everything below both of these routers is worse, in real world use.

Everything below both of these routers is worse, in real world use.
You mean models below these two, ie AX58U? (Which I currently have, but am contemplating replacing with the AX86U based on multiple posts in these forums)

@thiggins I notice that the latency scores are worse for the AX86U compared to the AX88U. Do you think that might account for the increased throughput of the AX86U?

Higher latency generally means lower throughput. The reason why the AX86U has higher throughput is its 2.5 GbE port. the AX88U's 1 GbE port is limiting throughput.

Higher latency generally means lower throughput.
Yes, that's what I thought. For example, the 5 GHz Multiband Latency is 52 (19ms) for the AX86U and 73 (14ms) for the AX88U. I just wondered whether that might have some bearing on the 5 GHz Downlink difference you highlighted.

The reason why the AX86U has higher throughput is its 2.5 GbE port. the AX88U's 1 GbE port is limiting throughput.
Ah, sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the wireless throughput/latency in the charts you linked to in post #1, not the router latency.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the wireless throughput/latency in the charts you linked to in post #1, not the router latency.
I *am* referring to wireless latency. I'm now running tests through the router WAN port because you can't swap the > 1 GbE port on some products (XT8 for example) between WAN and LAN.

So, the Wi-Fi latency measurements do include router latency, but that what users will experience anyway, unless their traffic is local.

I *am* referring to wireless latency. I'm now running tests through the router WAN port ...
Ah, I see. Thanks, that makes perfect sense now. I'm an idiot for not re-reading your testing procedure :oops:. Apologies for wasting your time.

Not a problem, Colin. The new benchmarks take some getting used to. It's always good to have fresh eyes on the results to keep me honest.
I had to go back and review the data to make sure I hadn't made a data entry mistake. It took me awhile before I realized that the difference was the Ethernet port speed. :)

My apologies, I'm a little late to the show. I've had an ax86u for over a year now, and am looking to update (not using the term "upgrade" just yet) to a 6E router, and before doing so am trying to digest some of the excellent test data you guys have!

Like others have noticed here, when comparing the ax88u/ax86u, what could be the reason for the much higher latency score (and lower latency ping times) for the ax88u? Is the ax88u just better at multi-client routing? Or is it simply a CPU bottleneck that only the ax86u will experience, since it's capable of multi-band routing 1.4Gbps, versus the 941Mbps of the ax88u?

Also, would a better latency metric be latency vs throughput, that way latency could be compared across routers at a particular client loading (E.g. at ~1Gbps for both ax88u/ax86u)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!