What's new

New Presentation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rom64k

New Around Here
Hello, I have been reading and learning from this great forum for some time now.

Now I have decided to introduce myself, I want to continue learning and contributing what is in my hand.

Thank you very much for your invaluable help and I apologise in advance if I ever make a mistake.

Thank you very much for everything.

PS: I just bought a GT-AXE16000 from USA to use it in the European Union (the European models are much more limited than the ones from USA) and I have updated it with the Merlin version. If anyone needs any information, just ask for it.

Thanks

Non-compliant to local regulations Wi-Fi equipment is in violation. In some countries you may get fined for this. Your first mistake.

Non-compliant to local regulations Wi-Fi equipment is in violation. In some countries you may get fined for this. Your first mistake.
Thank you.

Maybe I can avoid using "illegal" channels and lower the power. That would take care of it, wouldn't it?

Thanks

It was very cheap and I couldn't avoid the temptation. But I still have several days to replace it.

Thanks

I wouldn't buy a router from US for use Europe and I wouldn't buy this specific one. Your European devices may not see at all 5GHz-2 radio and you perhaps have no 6GHz devices. Money wasted for an overpriced spider with RGB and a mirror. Wi-Fi 6E is not popular and Wi-Fi 7 routers are coming by the end of the year. Sound like you buy hardware by shape and color.

Hello, the truth is that I live in the middle of the isolated countryside. No neighbours, the house is big and I need good coverage, that's why I thought about this model. All the clients I have are WiFi 6E except the IoT ones. The look of the "spider" as you call it and its mirror look horrible to me and of course I have all the lights turned off. I looked at other options before, but the fact that it supported rt-merlin really appealed to me.

What I didn't know is that according to you, even if the router is capable, and my clients are 6E, they won't be able to connect to all the bands on the router. So I would have to return it.

thank you

If all your clients except IoT are Wi-Fi 6E (6GHz) why do you need a router with 2 x Wi-Fi 6 (5GHz) bands?

Just because the clients are 6E (there are quite a few), doesn't mean that they can "only" connect to the 6Ghz band, so they can use "all" bands including 5Ghz as well. I just went with what I thought was more "powerful", not "prettier". I've always liked the Asus brand a lot
and the compatibility of some models with RT-MERLIN even more,

But hey, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I don't understand where you are going with your question. If you could clarify it for me I would appreciate it.

By the way, if you could clarify if the clients will be able to connect to all bands of the router I would appreciate it. I don't know if that is controlled by the router, the clients or both.

thanks

Welcome aboard @rom64k

I wouldn't buy this specific one
Why? If I didn't see what to spend $600 on, maybe I'd buy one too ;)
(there are quite a few)
With a large number of clients, it is better to use several APs (preferably some SMB with VLAN support). Plus a router with VLAN support.
Asus plans to introduce VLAN on selected models (this is an early stages beta).

I just went with what I thought was more "powerful"

The 8 external antennas and the RGB lights are there so it looks more "powerful" and "gaming". The reality is the output power and range on much cheaper models is about the same and the "gaming" features are just renamed port forwarding and QoS features available in "non-gaming" routers. Wi-Fi 6E on 6GHz band has shorter range and less wall penetration with all models. Better get popular around 2x GT-AX6000 routers in wired AiMesh. The same price or cheaper and better range. Very similar hardware also with Asuswrt-Merlin support. Get them in your country with local warranty.

@rom64k wants Asus router(s), let them have some reboot and reset experience. :)

Not so new user @ROM64 already has some.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!