What's new

new router coming tomorrow, got odd question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netbug

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Got a 86u coming tomorrow to replace my 68u, i bought it from amazon uk as i'm in uk and unfortunately amazon are notorious for sending out previously opened/sent back items, so can anyone tell me is the outer box packaging shrinkwrapped? my last router was not shrink wrapped and suspected it possibly should have been, some youtube videos show people taking off shrink wrap before they can open box, just want to check because if outer box packaging is meant to be shrinkwrapped and isn't then i would send it back and buy elsewhere.

Cheers.

Hi,

Got a 86u coming tomorrow to replace my 68u, i bought it from amazon uk as i'm in uk and unfortunately amazon are notorious for sending out previously opened/sent back items, so can anyone tell me is the outer box packaging shrinkwrapped? my last router was not shrink wrapped and suspected it possibly should have been, some youtube videos show people taking off shrink wrap before they can open box, just want to check because if outer box packaging is meant to be shrinkwrapped and isn't then i would send it back and buy elsewhere.

Cheers.

I don't recall (US customer here), but I believe shrink-wrap is easy to place on a package, so just because there *is* shrink-wrap doesn't necessarily mean it is not a return. FYI, I've not had problems with Amazon sending me returns, but I'll keep an eye on that now!

I don't recall (US customer here), but I believe shrink-wrap is easy to place on a package, so just because there *is* shrink-wrap doesn't necessarily mean it is not a return. FYI, I've not had problems with Amazon sending me returns, but I'll keep an eye on that now!

yeah have had it happen on multiple items with clear evidence of it to so am wary about them now. i know shrink wrap is easy to put on but amazon wouldn't bother to re-apply they would send out without shrinkwrap, they like that.

my 86u was packed into shrink wrapped

It is shrink wrapped from the factory. As someone else said, its not hard to shrink wrap though. Look for damage to the box from being previously opened and look at the packaging of the contents. Some but not all of the bags for the contents in the box are sealed shut from the factory, and the power brick is not only bagged but also has a plastic wrapper on it that can't be duplicated outside of the factory.

I have seen a few other people mention getting used items on Amazon, but its never happened to me, perhaps because I buy most everything on Amazon only from Amazon itself. Also, the AC86U is in high demand, and Amazon is selling them as fast as they can get them in stock, at least in the US. I just received a new one last week, and the manufacture date was 2018.

Thanks guys will check it tomorrow carefully, hopefully it will be shrink wrapped.

Well...

Router came all shrinkwrapped :D ... installed merlin firmware, set it all up but then noticed when i press the power button on back of router to turn it off the power switch does not come all way out and sticks a bit so dodgy power button :mad: getting replacement tomorrow and hoping for the best :(