What's new

New Router Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wh7qq

We finally got fiber installed to this old house...$2800 for the trench and conduit to replace the buried copper line that has served since 1986...and HiTel came out and pulled the fiber from across the street. The installers left us with a wireless router, a variant of the Zyxel 3512 with HiTel's neutered firmware, Initially, it worked ok...but a poor wireless signal across maybe 35' and 4 wood frame and plaster-board interior walls...9 'effing Mb/sec by speeddtest-cli. In the course of the day, it progressively lost wireless signal until it was unusable by 10PM. I brought up the ASUS RT-N66 that has served well since it was new in 2014 and I am limping along with it at about the same speed as the Zyxel. Under closer examination, the Zyxel is either used or refurbished...dirt and dust accumulation in the texturing of the case but I don't want another, especially with the neutered firmware that will get updated at their whim, or not, and no way to install my own.

I need to replace the ancient RT-N66 with something current...a-c and external antennas with up-gradable firmware and hopefully decent speed and range. The router is closest to my wife's box and hardwired. My station is more remote and on wireless. Just the two of us and no smart phones. My budget is for $100 or less. Suggestions please?

Most popular option would be

RT-AC86U​

It's above your budget but probably worth it to be sure you get the performance you desire. You'll get Merlin support and the external antennas you require.

I wholeheartedly agree 100%

Just the two of us and no smart phones. My budget is for $100 or less.

I did some quick research and I have a different solution for you. Use the Zyxel as modem only. Buy a new AC66U B1 for router and use your existing N66 as wireless bridge to your station. The new one fits your budget and has Asuswrt-Merlin firmware available. Your existing one has wireless bridge available in standard Asuswrt. How fast is this new Internet connection?

Thanks for all. Zyxel is boxed up and waiting for FedEx to pick up. Saves me $10/mo. "gateway fee" Looking hard at AC66 and AC68. If I plug computer directly into HiTel's fiber to ethernet box, I get 460 Mb/sec...near claimed 500. I am going to try a full factory reset before giving up on the N66 just to be sure.

I am going to try a full factory reset before giving up on the N66 just to be sure.

Any chance to wire your station? This is the best option. RT-N66U can do about 150Mbps on Wi-Fi with a common 2x2 N client and Gigabit on wired.

n66 can handle 500mbit via ethernet if you enable NAT acceleration. Wireless will be 220mbit tops, though. I had n66 on 500mbit for a while and didn't really need to upgrade until it started to malfunction lol

$2800 for the trench and conduit to replace the buried copper line that has served since 1986
They charged YOU for that? never heard of that in the UK. They connect the fibres for free if you subscribe for 1 year +

Re: the router, why get an AC86U when you could pay $75 more and get an AX86U.

"If you're gonna go to town, you may as well make sure you get there. " - Martin Warren 1992

What fiber speed are you paying for? If I had I had spent that kind of money for them to run the fiber
I definitely would't cheap out on the router. Make sure your connected to the Fiber ONT
will a good cat 6A cable..

They charged YOU for that? never heard of that in the UK. They connect the fibres for free if you subscribe for 1 year +

That is only if the FTTP service is live in your street.

Try a quote for FTTPoD and you'll probably be asked for £30000+++. I have seen quotes for £69500 for install.

Has to be said there will be a lot of new FTTH connections coming now Boris has released 15billion pound to get everyone connected.

I definitely would't cheap out on the router.

He doesn't even need a new router. He just needs a wire between the existing N66U and his computer. Suggested above AC66U B1 is more than enough, if he really wants to replace the N66U. It's under $100 and looks like it will be supported for at least a few more years by both Asus and Merlin.

Just the two of us and no smart phones.

The N66U lives...and well. with 50' of cheap Cat 5e to the station, speeds are around 460 Mb/sec and save the $$ until it quits. I'm currently paying for 500 so 460 is close enough. I have to drill a few holes in the floor and run the cable so I will "cheap out" for a while. I am currently paying $72 for 500 Gb/sec and phone...less than $10 more than Viasat at 12 Gb, a 5GB/mo cap and no phone. Plus no caps and no equipment rental. Copper wire phone service was $30 + long distance.

The horrible price was to dig and run ~220' of 1" conduit from the street box to the house over rough terrain and other utilities, but better his back than mine. Cost associated with a big lot. No charge for installation and that includes inside wire maintenance for the phone service. I think the N66 cost about $150 when new 7 years ago...a good investment.

If you are going drill to pass cables, take the oportunity to pass more than one to places that would later be suitable to place access points. You will get a lot better coverage by placing $50 2x2 access points where needed than buying an expensive router.