What's new

New Synology DS211+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
Well 211 wasn't released that long ago and now we have 211+

Which is exactly THE SAME as 211 ( 1.6GHz CPU ) expect

512MB Ram
New Casing
And a ESATA Port.

Last time i checked the Qnap 219P+ offer exactly the same features ( i think with one more ESATA port i am not sure ) at the same price as the old Synology 211, which cost $350, now they are releasing a 211+ at the same as 219P+ for $50 more??

What were they thinking

P.S - Official Prices may have changes, there are few places in the world still dont have 219P+ in stock.

- Sd slot
- bigger al louder fan

210+ is a little faster than 211+ but have less features.
210+ price the same as 219p+, I don't know 211+

Why do you think the bigger fan will be louder? A 80mm fan will move a lot more air at the same noise level as a 70mm fan. Add to this that there is a lot better variety of silent quality 80mm fans available.

I have no idea why both Synology and Qnap have been pushing 70mm fans for so many of their 2-disk models, but I will be surprised if Synology does NOT use a pretty silent fan for the 211+.

Why do you think the bigger fan will be louder? A 80mm fan will move a lot more air at the same noise level as a 70mm fan. Add to this that there is a lot better variety of silent quality 80mm fans available.

Sorry, I would mean quieter

I have no idea why both Synology and Qnap have been pushing 70mm fans for so many of their 2-disk models, but I will be surprised if Synology does NOT use a pretty silent fan for the 211+.

On kitguru seem that 211+ is noisy as 211.

Here the 211j is going for about 220, 211 for 290 and 211+ for about 380€. Does not leave a big difference to 710+... Personally I just ordered the 211j, if it feels too slow I'll use it for nas to nas replication.

Ciao,

what about hardware encryption for 211+? Does it lower perfomances? Why should we use it?
QNAP 219p+ has a lower idle power consumption, 7watt against 13w for 211+...
QNAP has remote replication on others QNAP products, what about Synology?

Ciao,

what about hardware encryption for 211+? Does it lower perfomances? Why should we use it?
QNAP 219p+ has a lower idle power consumption, 7watt against 13w for 211+...
QNAP has remote replication on others QNAP products, what about Synology?
Synology has features to encrypt your shared folder contents individually for important data. DS 211+ also have hardware encryption to accelerate this process.

Synology also supports remote backup using rsync or Amazon S3 backup.

Thanks for your reply.
Another user told me that encryption lowers performances, is that true?
Thanks again.