What's new

New Synology Router arrival soon?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbdora

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Wondering if Synology will be releasing a new router sometime this year. It's been a long time since RT2600ac was released.

Thanks

The next model would most likely be a Wifi 6 device. Considering the draft stage, I could understand if they decided to wait for it to stabilize before launching a product based on it. Since routers aren't their core business, there's no rush for them.

Concur w/ views of sfx2000 and RMerlin.

The transition to mesh with the introduction of MR2200ac has not been painless. As someone running RT2600's, the LAST thing I'd like to see Synology do at this point is to divert resources to an AX router. They really need to focus on stabilizing SRM.

Thanks guys. I really don't care about an AX router but a good AC router with a new and powerful electronics in it and of course with stable firmware. AFAIK the RT2600ac router was released in late 2016.

I maybe wrong but in my research, Synology RT2600ac is the only router is on par with Asus routers as far as the electronics, the value added apps and consistent updates are concerned.

Last edited:
... with stable firmware... on par with Asus...the value added apps and consistent updates...

I've been running dual RT2600ac's since March 2018, selected largely on the same criteria you cite (and SNB's review, of course).

Synology has indeed been good about paying attention to security issues.

The anticipated benefits of the software architecture (derivative of Synology's proven DSM, and package modularity for additional features and flexibility) have not been born out in my experience. I've spent more time babysitting this product than for any of my previous 4 generations of routers, have stopped running most packages and more advanced features because they don't play nice together, and have stopped applying further SRM 1.2 updates for several weeks now because of stability issues.

Comparing my experience to comments about ASUS here on SNB forums, one might conclude a parity of sorts. Both very far from perfect, and neither obviously superior to the other IMO.

A pity, really...

Hello,

Wondering if Synology will be releasing a new router sometime this year. It's been a long time since RT2600ac was released.

Thanks

I was thinking of the same thing. I'm interested in if they will release 1.3 or 2.0 and what new features will be added or improved to make 2600 and 2200 better.

I've been running dual RT2600ac's since March 2018, selected largely on the same criteria you cite (and SNB's review, of course).

Synology has indeed been good about paying attention to security issues.

The anticipated benefits of the software architecture (derivative of Synology's proven DSM, and package modularity for additional features and flexibility) have not been born out in my experience. I've spent more time babysitting this product than for any of my previous 4 generations of routers, have stopped running most packages and more advanced features because they don't play nice together, and have stopped applying further SRM 1.2 updates for several weeks now because of stability issues.

Comparing my experience to comments about ASUS here on SNB forums, one might conclude a parity of sorts. Both very far from perfect, and neither obviously superior to the other IMO.

A pity, really...

If you had to do it again knowing what you know now, would you go down the RT2600ac path again or would you stick with a more traditional supplier of router hardware?

Understandably no one but Synology would know the next release of their new router. Knowing their product annual release, I guess there won't be any new one coming up until later this year or the next. For me RT2600ac is enticing to replace my 87U router with. I will wait for now. Been tried out routers from different vendors, I should say that they all have various kind of issues, bugs , poor design, maintenance and support. Unfortunately the customer care, support/maintenance have gone south and a mad race of competition brings (buggy) features/basic functionality onboard... Sigh...

Apologies, somehow missed your post.

No, I don't think so.

I'd revisit https://routersecurity.org/index.php, maybe give Peplink a try.

That Peplink SOHO looks pretty cool. I'm very interested....

I have a 2600. For what I need, it works better than my AC68 (dual wan & policy routing especially) but like you say it hasn't been without its own set of issues, albeit much less. I had connectivity issues for a while, a few months back, that were solved by a factory reset but all in all, much more reliable than the Asus. The dual WAN failover is awesome and can even be set to tri WAN fail over with 4g LTE USB. The bandwidth limiter also works as it should on BOTH WANs unlike the Asus.

That being said, throughput is not not as good and neither is the range. The Threat Prevention seems half baked / never seemed to work right or was really heavy handed.

For my use case I would probably do it again but I'm eyeballing that Peplink......