What's new

New to AiMesh. Firmware update - advice on procedure needed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damun

Occasional Visitor
I recently bought two AX58U routers that i use in an AiMesh. So far i only use stock firmware.
New firmware came out yesterday and i would like to update the firmware on both node and router.

In which order should i update the router and node?

From what i have read here on the forum it is often advised to reset routers after a firmware update.

If so, how should i proceed:

a) reset the node first, connect it to my pc and update the firmware and then setup the AiMesh again.
or
b) Update the node through router GUI, reset and then setup AiMesh again.

For users updating their own networks/routers, a full reset usually isn't needed, particularly when flashing from the same 'base' firmware code (i.e. 386.xx to 386.xy). I do it for customers to avoid unnecessarily returning to their premises (particularly for out of town customers).

Normally, you would update the node first via the main routers GUI. Then, after it has proved itself with the new firmware for 15 minutes or more, I then flash the main router too.

After both have been stable for an hour or longer, I will perform a System Reboot from the AiMesh, System Settings tab.

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX95Q - AiMesh

If the network starts exhibiting new quirks or unexplained behavior that a quick search doesn't find a fix for, the following links are what I do (and what I do by default, for customers' routers).

New M&M 2020

M&M 2020 Specifics

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

And for particularly stubborn issues, the suggestions below usually bring a fringe router back to (useful) life. :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

My version:

1) update node
2) update main
3) remove node
4) factory reset main
5) setup like usual
6) add node

I recently bought two AX58U routers that i use in an AiMesh. So far i only use stock firmware.
New firmware came out yesterday and i would like to update the firmware on both node and router.

In which order should i update the router and node?

From what i have read here on the forum it is often advised to reset routers after a firmware update.

If so, how should i proceed:

a) reset the node first, connect it to my pc and update the firmware and then setup the AiMesh again.
or
b) Update the node through router GUI, reset and then setup AiMesh again.

From the router webUI... upload the node and then remove it from the AiMesh to automatically reset it. Upload the router and then Restore w/Initialize to reset it. Then configure the router from scratch and search/add the node to form the AiMesh. Disable WPS, perform a System Reboot, and test your WAN security... I use ShieldsUp! at grc.com.

OE

Thanks for the answers and suggestions @L&LD, @KingBravery and @OzarkEdge
Much appreciated

I'll give the "simplest" suggestion a go: Upload update to node first and wait, then router, and wait and then reboot system after a couple of hours - as L&LD suggested.
If something fails or doesn't behave then i'll do the reset.

Thanks guys.

My version:

1) update node
2) update main
3) remove node
4) factory reset main
5) setup like usual
6) add node

Mine is similar, but i've had nodes not behave when upgrades have happened, though rarely.

remove nodes
upgrade main
factory reset main (if needed)
setup like usual
add node
upgrade nodes
remove nodes
re-add nodes

Pretty easy to upgrade firmware on the ZenWifi AX...just use the router node web admin GUI, and check for new firmware, then upgrade. That upgrades both the router and node. This first time, I did log into the node web admin GUI and verify that it had also updated to the new firmware. In fact I verified that all the changes that I made to the router node via the web admin GUI had also been made to the node. Couldn't be much easier.

Just an udate:

Today i upgraded (updated) my firmware through the GUI on my router. I chose the "automatic" solution
The upgrade went fine. I did a reboot and once up and running both router and node were updated.
Nice and easy.

In the near future i'll do a complete reset and proper setup, since i haven't done that from the beginning.

Thank you all once again for your help :)

My router and AiMesh node (wireless backhaul) updates have been straightforward.
  1. Wire laptop to router and disable laptop Wi-Fi for good measure
  2. Access router admin pages
  3. Update node via router
  4. Update router
  5. Everything continues to work as expected

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!