What's new

New to AX68U scene

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so reset router would get rid of the everthing including USB

Reset will remove all changes done by the scripts, but it won't restore your USB stick to default format state. You have to re-format it.

You recommend just not use USB and just use the desktop Ublock on browser?

In my experience all DNS-based adblockers are not as effective as uBlock Origin browser extension. About USB sticks - just very wrong and unreliable media type for devices with high availability requirements. The USB stick fails and your router messes up. Of course, you may get different opinions.

Reset will remove all changes done by the scripts, but it won't restore your USB stick to default format state. You have to re-format it.

In my experience all DNS-based adblockers are not as effective as uBlock Origin browser extension. About USB sticks - just very wrong and unreliable media type for devices with high availability requirements. The USB stick fails and your router messes up. Of course, you may get different opinions.

Yeah I will reformat the stick on windows, so factory reset will reset like JFFS and SSH every thing back to default , so just need to configure Cake and should be fine?

Also DNS Servers i have set to automatic in WAN but is Cloudfare or Google DNS recommend it? Should i manually change? and just one more question 2.4 Ghz Channel i see my router signal not great when get back to house its currently at 13, probaly going to need the ethernet backhaul mesh afterall with the AX68U.

so just need to configure Cake and should be fine?

You need to configure whatever you need configured differently than default.

is Cloudfare or Google DNS recommend

Your choice. I would use malware/phishing filtering DNS service like Cloudflare for Families, Quad9, OpenDNS Family Shield, Cleanbrowsing Security, etc. You can also experiment with adblocking DNS from AdGuard, or custom categories filtering DNS like OpenDNS Home. All listed are free services, paid services from NextDNS, OpenDNS, Cleanbrowsing, etc. are available too. Google DNS is fast, but no filtering.

Try OpenDNS Home with custom filtering categories. It's a Cisco Umbrella based free service with fast servers around the globe. Cleanbrowsing is also good trusted company. AdGuard may give what you had with Diversion, without installing custom scripts and USB stick.

Try OpenDNS Home with custom filtering categories. It's a Cisco Umbrella based free service with fast servers around the globe. Cleanbrowsing is also good trusted company. AdGuard may give what you had with Diversion, without installing custom scripts and USB stick.

Great thanks for the suggestions, any particular one effect gaming or should be okay?

Gaming is unaffected by DNS response time. You need lower latency ISP. FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) is perhaps best for gaming.

This, you can select what do you want blocked:

048_01.png

How cna i figure out best 2.4 Channel to set it was set to auto 13 but was dip bit so have set to 6 now or should i keep it on auto and i have activated the wifi radar collection thing?

The radar thing is on 5GHz band, DFS channels. Leave the 2.4GHz radio on Auto channel for a week and monitor what channel the router uses the most. This is the channel with higher available bandwidth, as seen by the router. Fix this channel and don't change it very often. If you have 30-40Mbps throughput or more on channels 1-6-11, play nice with your neighbors and use one of those.

So have reset my router now and removed USB, i set my dns to cloudfare so just want to see if I have set everything right, see attached files

Attachments

• dns dhcp.png
    dns dhcp.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 98
  • wan dns.png
    wan dns.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 95
  • info.png
    info.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 97
Remove the IP addresses from the DHCP DNS fields. That can cause your clients to bypass the router's local DNS server, which will be slower and won't be able to resolve local host names.

So have reset my router now and removed USB

If you have removed the USB, where the 2048MB swap file comes from on the 3rd screenshot?

If you prefer encrypted DNS traffic, you can enable DNS Privacy Protocol on the 2nd screenshot.

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 servers don't offer malware filtering. You may want to try 1.1.1.2/1.0.0.2 instead.

If you have removed the USB, where the 2048MB swap file comes from on the 3rd screenshot?

If you prefer encrypted DNS traffic, you can enable DNS Privacy Protocol on the 2nd screenshot.

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 servers don't offer malware filtering. You may want to try 1.1.1.2/1.0.0.2 instead.

Not sure I reset router and had to reset it all again, ive no idea why there is a swap file any idea?

Nevermind just checked again and showing not configured

Attachments

• new.png
    new.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 70
Hi so its been a month now and everything has been fine and consistent.

I have notice In COD Warzone I've higher latency than before, I have Cake QOS set to 95% of my 300/100 .But dont know if that is causing an issue, Speed test in router showing
24.20 Ping and 0.56 Jitter, Bufferboat is a B without setting Cake.

Trying to Optimise so wondering if anyone can help :)

Attachments

• bufferbloat.png
    bufferbloat.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!