What's new

New to (but excited) automation with having a few problems....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blackmajik2099

New Around Here
I have interested in getting into stuff like smart plugs and the such so I first tried the Merkury brand with disastrous results so I thought it just wasnt for me. After visiting my sister and seeing how it can all work together I decided to give it a try again with the Gosund brand. Even though they do work if I use the restaurant's wifi to register the devices I would prefer to have them connected to my own wifi connection but for the life of me they refuse to connect at all, ever. I did everything from turning off the 5g band to making the connection temporarily open and nothing works. The modem I'm using is a Technicolor TC8715D which I own personally (it's not Time Warner/Spectrum modem). Even though it works like it is I want to add a security camera to the setup which is buggy as hell trying to use it this way. Am I missing a setting in the modem's setup page? Can anyone please help me figure out why nothing I have tried works. Thanks for ANY help with this.

Welcome to the forums @Blackmajik2099.

This is an old product (from 2016, at least). Have you kept it updated with the firmware? Have you ever reset it? Is it possible to put it in Bridge Mode and then add a newer router with current WiFi specifications?

What is the speed of your ISP? Are you able to move to another ISP (with free, n/c, modem, or better yet, Fibre)?

Welcome to the forums @Blackmajik2099.

This is an old product (from 2016, at least). Have you kept it updated with the firmware? Have you ever reset it? Is it possible to put it in Bridge Mode and then add a newer router with current WiFi specifications?

What is the speed of your ISP? Are you able to move to another ISP (with free, n/c, modem, or better yet, Fibre)?
I cant find any information on how to update the firmware or even where to find it (the firmware update download I mean). Under system hardware it says the hardware revision is 1.1. When you ask if I ever reset it do you mean while trying to setup the smart devices or when I got the modem? I have tried in the past to put it in bridge mode but at that point I lost all connectivity both wired and wireless so I stopped even trying that. My ISP speeds are 220dl/11ul. Unfortunately where I live there is only 1 choice for an ISP. Might it be the modem's firewall that's preventing it from connecting to the smart plugs? I'm tempted to buy something like whats in the picture since my friend in the building has his connected to the restaurant's wifi (the same wifi I used to setup the smart plugs) and I can connect to his and things still work but I'm talking about getting 1 in my room and connected to my wifi. Do you think that might work? I just dont want to have to go out and buy a know new modem. I'm a cheapsake lol!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!