What's new

New to cabeling - Various cable or switches?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

berritorre

New Around Here
I am new to the network cabeling. I am moving to a new office and I am currently thinking about how best to do the cabeling, as the office has no network cables at the moment.

I will contract someone to do the cabeling, but I usually prefer to have some knowledge about this stuff, because it helps you to understand if someone is trying to fool you or not. Unfortunately down here in Latinamerica, many try to fool you. ;-)

First of all a little background: It is a small company, with at the moment 3 people. So there are 3 computers running at the moment (but we pretend to grow and hopefully at the end of the year it will be already 6).

We do not have any major needs and I can't spent too much money on IT, but I also don't want to go the wrong path and then later have to invest double.

So, our infrastructure:
- 2 laptops
- 1 desktop
- 2 HP Microserver (not yet running)
- 1 Network printer

For the near future I'd expect 3 more computers and maybe a NAS.

So, that's it. We are moving to a bigger office and I would like to put cables around, because I think on the long run it is better than to do everything wireless.

However, as far as I see, the cable tunnels in the floor are not very big, so I might only be able to pass one cable to each room. So instead of trying to fit 2 or more network cable through the ground, I was thinking of just sending one cable and then add a relatively cheap switch to connect the computers in each room. So I would have basically one router with 4 LAN ports and I would either connect a switch directly to that to send one cable to each room and then in each room another switch to connect the computers located there. Or, if it fits, directly use the router. However, I think it won't be enough, as it is about 3-4 rooms and then there are the server, the printer and eventually a NAS.

Do you think to use one cable to each room and work with switches from there could cause a problem? We are talking about normal office use here. I am not streaming videos or stuff like this.

Typical usage:
- Save files on the file server
- Send a video to the file server for archive
- maybe in the future VOIP communication.

Currently the router and the switches are only 100mbit, because gigabit is still really expensive down here.

Should the printer and the server be somewhere specific or could they be placed anywhere in the network?

In general if you're not video editing or working with large graphics and/or CAD files you should be fine.

However, as far as I see, the cable tunnels in the floor are not very big, so I might only be able to pass one cable to each room. So instead of trying to fit 2 or more network cable through the ground, I was thinking of just sending one cable and then add a relatively cheap switch to connect the computers in each room.

If at all possible pull two cables. One as a spare. Or keep a 100' patch cord around so when one breaks you can run it down the hall till you pull the broken cable out and put a new one in.

Should the printer and the server be somewhere specific or could they be placed anywhere in the network?

Things in general will be much faster if you give your printer and server a direct connection to your main switch or switch/router. Doesn't have to be in the same room, just no secondary switches if possible.

Thanks David!

Good idea to pass 2 cable for each room, but I guess it will already be quite trouble some to pass the 4 for the different rooms at the beginning.

I definitely will keep some spare cable to be able to connect in case something brakes.

At least now I know that I am not too wrong.

By the way, it is only 1 HP Microserver at the moment. Don't know why I put 2.

Best regards,
Berri

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!