What's new

New to N66 - IPV6 on LAN issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wintermancer

New Around Here
My cisco 1711 died after many years of service and the RT-N66U arrived today. Sadly I'm having a few concerns with ipv6 on the house lan. Don't know if it's me of the N66.

On the lan is a Windows domain (1 server 2008R2, and 2 Win 7 clients). I have the N66 setup to be a DHCP server and point the N66 to the windows DNS server. I do this so that I can refer to various web services on the server by FQDN. If I turn off the internal DNS server, I cannot seem to use FQDN's or any internal name really. I'm on a 10.x.x.x network and the internet DNS servers no nothing about my internal network.

In any case, when I ping from a Windows 7 client to another computer on the LAN, the ping invariably goes out as IP4 address instead of the normal Windows IPV6 ping. This is very odd.

When I do a ipconfig /all, I see the DNS servers like this:
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:a01:100::2 (unknown)
10.1.1.30 (windows server)
10.1.1.1 (router)

If the 2001:a01:100::2 was 2001:a01:100::30 then I would be happy since
that would be correct for the DNS service on the windows server. However, I cannot figure out where the 2001:a01:100::2 is coming from.

I did enable IPV6 DHCP-DP on the N66 wan but that changed nothing for the LAN and I have turned it off.

To the best of my knowledge, the 2001:a01:100::2 is not coming from my server (but of course I am not 100% on that). I have cleared caches, scavaged old DNS records but nothing helps.

I see that the N66 does not have a DHCPV6 Pool (sad but true). I'm using ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.370 but will probably try the 26b Merlin firmware for kicks.

After that I am wondering if DD-WRT or even Tomato can help with my IPV6 blues. Does Merlin, DD-WRT, or Tomato have better IPV6 support for the internal LAN. My carrier does not support IPV6 natively yet.

BTW, I can for communicate between machines with IPV6 link-local addresses but the N66 is not assigning any normal IPV6 address via DHCP. so, in conclusion my windows machines are by default communicating by IPV4!

Thank-you for listening

Update: I had set the following on the two windows 7 clients to enable EUI-64 derived addressing:
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent

Reversing these changes (enabling instead of disabling) got rid of the mysterious 2001:a01:100::2 dns-server from the n66 dhcp settings. Very strange but true. Now I just get ipv6 pings (after the ipconfig /flushdns and some time passing) using the fe80 link-local addressing. Since the router cannot assign 2001:a01:100::xxx address, I will probably have to hard code them on the windows 7.

Whoops. Doing a net stop Dnscache && net start Dnscache results in IPV4 pings again and not link-local IPV6 pings. Obviously, I am missing something. Is the fact that there is no IPV6 DNS server listing from the N66 DHCP service the reason for the problem? Why doesn't Win7 not use link-local IPV6 addresses in preference to IPV4? Help.

Last update this night:

I believe the problem could be related to the fact that the N66 cannot do IPV6 routing like a CISCO box can. Yes or no on that guess, I am stunned that the N66 cannot do IPV6 routing or DHCPV6. Many posts on many sites say this and its big brother are the best home routers available. Maybe but they sux at IPV6. Sorry, its late. Good night.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!