What's new

New unofficial beta release for AC87u using new 5Ghz SDK QTN...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With this beta, the 5GHz connection often will stuck for a few seconds.

Seriously Asus can't make this router work properly ( basic stuff ) at the least .. Asus is playing games by releasing Betas... there will be more issues no doubt if they ever enable MU-MIMO

Hope they know what they are doing.

Well, every single review of this router that you can find on the net (at least every single one that I've seen- and I've seen many) gave it a good or very good review. So it seems that most people disagree with the above statement.

Add me to the list of positive reviewers for the AC87x but with a caveat. One, it was rushed to market with really sketchy firmware, design and manufacturing issues. The fact that the EA-AC87 is still NOT available in NA is evidence that the Wave 2 technology simply is not ready for primetime.

I also have to say that I am absolutely amazed by this router. And this after having used it since September last year. I don't know if everybody suffers from the 2ms delay which some people apparently get when using the 5GHz wi-fi (somebody kept mentioning this) and Beamforming certainly isn't reliable with mobile devices. But apart from these two details it is a beast, in the positive sense. I've seen a lot of complaints about the AC32000 (which doesn't support MU-MIMO as the AC87 does), so I guess it's difficult to make people happy or to find out what they consider a great 802.11ac wave2 router.

I agree 1000%. This is the only router that covers my property with the 5GHz band, or at least the first router that I have owned. With that said however, it took me entirely too long to get this router working flawlessly.

I've never owned any Apple devices though, but since the issues with Apple devices are proven to originate in flaws within Apple's wi-fi implementation I would find it somewhat inappropriate to blame any potential issues with this on this particular router.

This astounds me. Even Apple admits that with the Yosemite upgrade they "broke" WiFi connectivity and have been scrambling ever since trying to recover. I have seen reports that they have brought in people from other divisions to assist in sorting out this mess and making it right. Apparently, this has become the priority issue for the entire company, as well it should.

I have gotten my router working great & I attribute that to the following:

1) Merlin's firmware
2) John9527's nvram save & restore utility
3) Active cooling (see avatar)
4) CTF & FA enabled
5) Many methodical trial & error sessions with configuration settings
6) Auto reboot each day thru cron job (thx Merlin)

That is it. I am not that smart so if I can get this router working then anyone else should also be able to unless their unit is defective.

Last edited:

1) Merlin's firmware
4) CTF & FA enabled

That is it. I am not that smart so if I can get this router working then anyone else should also be able to unless their unit is defective.

6 additional steps to get a consumer product working how it should out of the box? That´s 6 steps to much in my opinion.

At least i got used to install always the latest beta (and therefore had to do many factory resets) and im happy with the results. At the moment Asus is making effort with every update which is nice to see. On the other hand the RT-AC87R is sold/advertised as a wave 2 router but at the moment/since a year it isn´t.

Dear all, i just get the info that next week will have another beta FW for RT-AC87u with more tunning on 5Ghz driver side. Hope to solve the issues reported here, even i didn't experienced any of them. My gear is still working fine without restart, using this last FW...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just loaded the 6440 Beta and I have to say that it's significantly slower than the previous. On 6117 I was getting 124mbs down on speedtest.net and with this I'm getting about 54mbs.

Dear all, i just get the info that next week will have another beta FW for RT-AC87u with more tunning on 5Ghz driver side. Hope to solve the issues reported here, even i didn't experienced any of them. My gear is still working fine without restart, using this last FW...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Yes, ASUS@SG stated the same, and it'll be focused on improving 5Ghz :D

Just loaded the 6440 Beta and I have to say that it's significantly slower than the previous. On 6117 I was getting 124mbs down on speedtest.net and with this I'm getting about 54mbs.

I am having the same issue. Everything is stable but I am getting the slowest speedtest results that I have ever had with this machine.

Add me to the list of positive reviewers for the AC87x but with a caveat. One, it was rushed to market with really sketchy firmware, design and manufacturing issues. The fact that the EA-AC87 is still NOT available in NA is evidence that the Wave 2 technology simply is not ready for primetime.

I agree 1000%. This is the only router that covers my property with the 5GHz band, or at least the first router that I have owned. With that said however, it took me entirely too long to get this router working flawlessly.

This astounds me. Even Apple admits that with the Yosemite upgrade they "broke" WiFi connectivity and have been scrambling ever since trying to recover. I have seen reports that they have brought in people from other divisions to assist in sorting out this mess and making it right. Apparently, this has become the priority issue for the entire company, as well it should.

1) Merlin's firmware
4) CTF & FA enabled

May I ask how you enabled FA? Whatever I do it seems that CTF Only is what I'm stuck with.

EDIT: Disabling STP and QoS did the trick.

Last edited:
Didn't work.

I must have something else turned on. I'll have to factory reset and add my settings one by one and see which is the problem.

Didn't work.

I must have something else turned on. I'll have to factory reset and add my settings one by one and see which is the problem.

I saw somewhere that Traffic Monitoring needs to be disabled as well. It can be found here, Tools->Other Settings

EDIT: Keep in mind that I am referring to a RT-AC87U running the latest version of Merlin's firmware. If you have a different setup that might result in a different outcome.

Last edited:
May I ask how you enabled FA? Whatever I do it seems that CTF Only is what I'm stuck with.

EDIT: Disabling STP and QoS did the trick.
My "go-to-move" with Merlin's firmware is to reset to factory defaults and then immediately disable STP. Now that I use John9527's wonderful nvram save & restore utility (so easy a caveman could do it) I simply reset to defaults, complete manually entering my Internet configuartion settings and then immediately going to Administration|System and enable JFFS, allow custom scripting and enable telnet. Then I reload my settings that were saved with John9527's nvram save & restore utility and relax. :)

I saw somewhere that Traffic Monitoring needs to be disabled as well. It can be found here, Tools->Other Settings

EDIT: Keep in mind that I am referring to a RT-AC87U running the latest version of Merlin's firmware. If you have a different setup that might result in a different outcome.

I've disabled everything I can... but how do I know if FA is enabled? If I go to LAN -> Switch Control -> NAT Acceleration (Auto), it just says "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled."

STP is disabled
QoS is disabled
Traffic Statistics are disabled
IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) is disabled
Bandwidth monitor is disabled
All AiProtection things are disabled

I've disabled everything I can... but how do I know if FA is enabled? If I go to LAN -> Switch Control -> NAT Acceleration (Auto), it just says "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled."

STP is disabled
QoS is disabled
Traffic Statistics are disabled
IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) is disabled
Bandwidth monitor is disabled
All AiProtection things are disabled
You'll see it under Tools->Sysinfo->Network

Not Traffic Statistics though, Traffic Monitoring. It can be found under Tools->Other Settings (see the attachment).

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realize you had already disabled that one as well.

Attachments

• 2015-06-23 21-36-06.jpg
    2015-06-23 21-36-06.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 2015-06-23 21-38-33.jpg
    2015-06-23 21-38-33.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
You'll see it under Tools->Sysinfo->Network

Not Traffic Statistics though, Traffic Monitoring. It can be found under Tools->Other Settings (see the attachment).
Yup, my settings are like that. Traffic Monitoring is off.

But it just says :
HW acceleration: Enabled (CTF only)

:(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!