What's new

New user - R7800 - openvpn client advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danlat1415

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I'm in the process of switching over to Voxel's R7800 firmware from being a DD-WRT user based on the high praise you've been getting and because your firmware is based on stock, but also specific to the R7800 (unlike DD-WRT).

The main point for me over standard stock is Open on client.

Please don't slate me, but I've already been checking through the forum posts and I see that it's possible to have OpenVPN client and roughly how to set this up.

Is it possible to set the OpenVPN to only work on certain devices?
DD-WRT had a policy based routing option where you put the IP of the device you want and it only uses the VPN on those devices.
Your firmware appears to do the opposite, and work on all devices and have an avoid list for devices I don't want.
I have 20+ devices and only want it on 2 or 3, so it'd be easier for me to have an 'opt in' rather than 'opt out' approach.

When installed, will the OpenVPN client be visible and useable on the GUI, or is is all text base programming?

OpenVPN is basically the only reason I use DD-WRT at the moment, so I want to switch to yours but need a little help.

Thanks in advance

You can use the "Kamoj add-on" for managing OpenVPN Client configurations,
and policy based routing:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-5-1-beta-testing-poll.62315/

You can not use it the way you want.
But since it is a graphical GUI you set it up in a few seconds:

Click in the table "Devices that shall be routed through the VPN-tunnel: ", press ctrl-a, and then hold
down ctrl and click on the 2 or 3 that shall use vpn, and click "Move selected devices ->".
So you have to press ctrl-a one time extra then what you want, so it's not so much more difficult than "your way".

The add-on have a GUI for both OpenVPN, Wireguard and policy base routing including killswitch, and connection supervision.
The add-on directly supports these 8 OpenVPN providers:
AzireVPN, Integrity, Mullvad, NordVPN, PrivateInternetAccess (PIA), PrivateVPN, PureVPN, SurfsharkVPN,
but you can add whatever configurations you want through the GUI.

Hope that answers your questions.

PS
You can of course do it without the add-on as well, if you want to opt-out of the add-on.
There is an instruction in Voxel's readme.docx file.

Hi,
I'm in the process of switching over to Voxel's R7800 firmware from being a DD-WRT user based on the high praise you've been getting and because your firmware is based on stock, but also specific to the R7800 (unlike DD-WRT).

The main point for me over standard stock is Open on client.

Please don't slate me, but I've already been checking through the forum posts and I see that it's possible to have OpenVPN client and roughly how to set this up.

Is it possible to set the OpenVPN to only work on certain devices?
DD-WRT had a policy based routing option where you put the IP of the device you want and it only uses the VPN on those devices.
Your firmware appears to do the opposite, and work on all devices and have an avoid list for devices I don't want.
I have 20+ devices and only want it on 2 or 3, so it'd be easier for me to have an 'opt in' rather than 'opt out' approach.

When installed, will the OpenVPN client be visible and useable on the GUI, or is is all text base programming?

OpenVPN is basically the only reason I use DD-WRT at the moment, so I want to switch to yours but need a little help.

Thanks in advance

Thanks very much.
I'll definitely give it a go with the add-on

I'm looking forward to trying all of this out and appreciate everyone's hard work who is involved with all of this.

Wow!!
I've installed Voxel firmware 1.0.2.79SF on my R7800
The speed increase over both stock and DD-WRT is amazing!

I've only been messing around with it for an hour and I'm getting 50% speed increase on my file transfers between devices, and my furthest point in my house away from my router also gets a 50% increase speed in SpeedTest.

Being able to have almost a stock firmware with Netgear features such as smart QoS is great, with the benefit of every little feature and behind the scenes aspect being updated beyond Netgear's stock firmware.

I've also installed your beta for Kamoj add-on.

This is excellent and exactly what I needed.
It's actually so easy to use the OpenVPN page, once you figure out the layout and buttons etc.
Within a couple of minutes I managed to get my VPN up and running and also set which devices I wanted to use and not to use it.

It's actually a lot easier than DD-WRT setup, because you have to open the text files and copy and paste certificates etc into different boxes.
Your add-on did this all for me. I just needed to enter username/password and select a server I wanted and it was all set up.

I've definitely found a new home.
You guys are amazing!
Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Thank you, feedback is always very welcome, good or bad and use cases very appreciated! :D
May I suggest that you sign up as beta tester of the much newer 5.3 beta series?!
Wow!!
I've installed Voxel firmware 1.0.2.79SF on my R7800
The speed increase over both stock and DD-WRT is amazing!

I've only been messing around with it for an hour and I'm getting 50% speed increase on my file transfers between devices, and my furthest point in my house away from my router also gets a 50% increase speed in SpeedTest.

Being able to have almost a stock firmware with Netgear features such as smart QoS is great, with the benefit of every little feature and behind the scenes aspect being updated beyond Netgear's stock firmware.

I've also installed your beta for Kamoj add-on.

This is excellent and exactly what I needed.
It's actually so easy to use the OpenVPN page, once you figure out the layout and buttons etc.
Within a couple of minutes I managed to get my VPN up and running and also set which devices I wanted to use and not to use it.

It's actually a lot easier than DD-WRT setup, because you have to open the text files and copy and paste certificates etc into different boxes.
Your add-on did this all for me. I just needed to enter username/password and select a server I wanted and it was all set up.

I've definitely found a new home.
You guys are amazing!
Keep up the great work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!