What's new

Newbie guidance - router logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Hello Everyone. I've just purchased an Asus RT-N66U to replace my defective DrayTek 2760 and it has made a massive improvement to the stability of my FTTC internet connection, so I am well pleased so far.

I have loaded the latest Merlin firmware on the device and set up the basics, but I notice there is what appears to be a option to store the router logs on an external device. I have a USB flash drive plugged into the router, but I have no idea how to set the logs to be saved on it (if indeed it can be done). Also, by doing so, would data such as that shown in the traffic monitor be stored there (I noticed that when I had to switch off the router today in order to finish the wiring up, the traffic data that had accrued had all disappeared)? Some basic instructions on this would be very welcome, as would an introduction to scripting, but please keep it simple as I've only just started learning about the capabilities of this router.

Many thanks in advance.

External storage of the log requires running a syslog server elsewhere on your LAN. It won't allow you to save the logfile to a local USB disk.

Some NAS like QNAP's or Asustor allow you to run a syslog server. You can then enter that NAS's IP on the router's syslog configuration section to redirect logging to that server.

This is only for syslog. Traffic data is stored in RAM by default. You can store the database content to a local USB disk - look at the settings under Tools -> Other Settings. Don't forget to also enable the option to create/initialize the database the first time you set the local to a USB disk, so it can create a new database there.

External storage of the log requires running a syslog server elsewhere on your LAN. It won't allow you to save the logfile to a local USB disk.

Some NAS like QNAP's or Asustor allow you to run a syslog server. You can then enter that NAS's IP on the router's syslog configuration section to redirect logging to that server.

This is only for syslog. Traffic data is stored in RAM by default. You can store the database content to a local USB disk - look at the settings under Tools -> Other Settings. Don't forget to also enable the option to create/initialize the database the first time you set the local to a USB disk, so it can create a new database there.
Thank you for this. I did try creating a folder on the USB drive and saving traffic logs there, but it didn't work (the log contained lots failed attempts at accessing the file, so I tried adding the log-in using Windows credentials, which worked from Windows Explorer but not for the router). I've now removed the USB flash drive as shortly after trying this my internet connection went down and I had to reboot the router, so I was concerned that these changes might have caused other problems. It's working fine again now, so I'm going to leave it alone for a few days to see what happens. Incidentally, I've put the IP address of my WD Cloud Storage Device as the save location for the router logs. Was that the right thing to do (logs are still being generated, so they obviously are being saved somewhere, but I'm not sure where)?

Regarding scripting, I've found out how to turn it on, but where do the scripts actually go?

Syslog is a special software that manages logs. You cannot point the router's syslog to any NAS, it must be running a syslog server.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!