What's new

Newbie Help - Not sure where to start

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmp14

New Around Here
Ok, bear with me, my questions my be too large of scope for quick answers, or maybe not.....

My network will be multimedia heavy. I will have 2 Silicon Dust HDHomeRun's (network based digital TV tuners), and several media extenders. At any given time, there might be 4 HD streams getting recorded over the network, and 2 extenders watching 2 more HD streams. Of course, a few PC's would be connected and also some misc stuff.

I want to make sure I architecht a home network that can handle all of this traffic.

Ideally, I would like some sort of main box with 16-24 GigE ports handling the traffic, while also providing internet access via connection to my cable modem from comcast. This box would also handle NAT, DHCP (although I could do static if required) and have config options for Port Forwarding. Finally, I would want to hang a Wireless router (Linksys WRT600n) off of it to use as an Access Point for wireless.

I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount of money to get this done right, so for the sake of discussion assume a $300 - $800 budget for network hardware (I already have the Linksys WRT600n).

I am not sure if a box exists, or if the way describe is even possible. So much to learn!

Any help would really be appreciated! Also, let me know if this is not the right area to post this question.

Last edited:
All you need to do is buy a Gigabit switch with sufficient ports and uplink it to the WRT600N. The WRT600N supports ~150 Mbps up and down for routing and handles DHCP and port forwarding.

My ignorance is showing...

So, for example, if I get a quality 16 port GigE switch, run all of my ethernet devices off that switch, and simply connect 1 of the ports from the WRT600n to it for internet, how much traffic is the switch handling as opposed to the WRT600n?

In other words, since the WRT600n is giving out the ip address, even though everything else is connected to the switch, does all the traffic still go through the WRT600n?

It would seem to me that it would be a major bottleneck - the one port on the WRT600n connected to the switch.

I am probably not understanding this correctly, but I am stuck on how the router seems to create the network by defining the ip range (192.168.1.ETC) and DHCP, that all traffic would be going through it, thus defeating the purpose if of a fancy smart switch.

Hope my question/confusion makes sense.

The only time traffic goes through the router is when it is going to/from the internet. All local traffic will go through the switch only, and you will have no problems or bottlenecks.

I've had the netgear gs116 running for about a year with no problems. It's just a simple unmanaged switch but should be just fine for your uses. I think it costs in the neighborhood of $150 nowadays depending on where you get it from.

HP procurve

I recommend an unmanaged switch check out the hp procurves they are bulletproof and they have an awesome warranty free replacement for life in 24 hours :D