What's new

Newbie to ASUS and Networking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmmallette47

Regular Contributor
I have had my AX-86U for a couple of months with stability on the stock firmware. I am wanting to soon try the switch to the Merlin firmware. I’m sure I have lots of questions, but don’t know yet what they are. First, where can I find the easiest to understand procedure for flashing Merlin to my router and what type of posts should I be searching to learn about it between now and when I switch? My initial concern is that making the switch will result in maintenance that I don‘t have now with the stock. At this point, I have done no special settings in the stock firmware. Anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom for someone eager to learn and not wanting to be a drain on forum members, as I look to get the most tailored functionality I can out of a good router?

it's easy to flash Merlin to your router: go download the .zip file for your model from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
unzip the file on your desktop (usually that's just double clicking on it)
open a browser window, login to the router (if you're using the default sign-in, you need to change that)
right at the top of the "home page," in somewhat fine print, you'll see Firmware Version: with an underlined number. click on the number
you should now be on the Admin - Firmware upgrade page:
next to your model number in the (for some reason) AiMesh window, there will be a yellow Upload link...click it and it will let you select the location of the file you downloaded and unzipped.
from here, you should know what to do.

Download the firmware for your router. Be sure to double-check that the file you download matches your model. Then extract the firmware and verify the hashes by using a program such as HashTab.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the RMerlin firmware onto your router, you need to do a full reset to factory defaults. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not blindly use old features, scripts, or options that worked 'once upon a time' in your old router/network setup. Use the link below to properly and fully reset your router to factory defaults (after you have flashed the firmware you want to use/test).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

At this point, set up your network as you normally would. I would suggest following the best practices guides and defaults below and then adding features, options, and scripts methodically and one at a time, testing that everything stays working as you need it.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

You may also want to browse some of the other links below too.

Almost all L&LD Links

Download the firmware for your router. Be sure to double-check that the file you download matches your model. Then extract the firmware and verify the hashes by using a program such as HashTab.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the RMerlin firmware onto your router, you need to do a full reset to factory defaults. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not blindly use old features, scripts, or options that worked 'once upon a time' in your old router/network setup. Use the link below to properly and fully reset your router to factory defaults (after you have flashed the firmware you want to use/test).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

At this point, set up your network as you normally would. I would suggest following the best practices guides and defaults below and then adding features, options, and scripts methodically and one at a time, testing that everything stays working as you need it.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

You may also want to browse some of the other links below too.

Almost all L&LD Links
So, will my SSIDs that are currently set up, get removed on the factory reset?

So, will my SSIDs that are currently set up, get removed on the factory reset?
Factory reset return all settings to their "default" settings out of the box. So you will have to do a full setup as if the router was new. So be sure to screen-capture or jot down all your customized settings.

Yes, they will be reset to factory defaults. I suggest using new SSID's in any case. See the links I provided for the 'why'.