What's new

Newer router help with wired connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nickff

Occasional Visitor
I have an older G router that has been working like a champ for quite some time.

If I purchase a newer router with a higher all-around throughput such as the ASUS n56u, will my wired connections see an improvement?

Basically, I would like to know if a router with higher throughput will improve my Xbox Live experience if my Xbox is hardwired to the router?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Depends on whether your current router is slower than the up and downlink throughput your ISP provides.

If the router is slower, then upgrading to a faster router will help. If the router is not a bottleneck, then it won't help.

Depends on whether your current router is slower than the up and downlink throughput your ISP provides.

If the router is slower, then upgrading to a faster router will help. If the router is not a bottleneck, then it won't help.

Ok. I am on the 20MB down and 2 MB up plan with my ISP provider.

My Buffalo router (WHR-HP-G54) is rated 10/100 MBps on the wired side of things.

So, if I understand you correctly... a router with much higher throughput all-around will not help on the wired connections (not including files sent around my network locally).

Right.
And if you upgraded to a router with 10/100/1000, the PCs would also have to support the highest speed (as do today's PCs).

You can use a 10/100 router and connect it to a $20 10/100/1000 ethernet switch, then plug PCs into the switch. So inter-PC (or PC to NAS if you have one), would be at up to 1000Mbps despite the router being slower on the wired ports.